General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Strange goings on in Hollywood this week. The Acolyte launched to....reviews

Screenshot_20240610-141236.png

Apparently critics loved it? and audiences hate it. I say question mark because normally youd be like "oh its getting review bombed by incels".

This would make sense because there was a bit of toxic backlash because the director said in interviews LGBTQ+ diversity blah blah and one of cast accidentally referred to anakin blowing up the deathstar.

But when I actually youtubed some reviews the woke/mainstream/antiwoke folks seem to all be in agreement that it was written by oxygen deprived monkeys, on rusty typewriters.

Im not sure what Im doing wrong but I can't actually find these 90% positive reviews (deepstate?)

Im not watching it. It looks bad, Im not interested in the plot and the reviews all seem pretty scathing.

Im not antidisney I really want them to succeed. Kinda bums me out

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Huh I guess they figured going back to its roots is the answer. I wonder if they are going back to the ruins of the original Nostradamus?

Kinda miss the practical effects, though
Im pumped. Ive liked all the directors films. Im scratching my head, but at the same Im happy to remain in the dark. Im going with the assumption that they are a salvage team sent to recover the missing colony ship from covenant or something similar or they are on a colony ship, but if its not covenant then I don't know how the xenomorphs get on board.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

View attachment 11299

Apparently critics loved it? and audiences hate it. I say question mark because normally youd be like "oh its getting review bombed by incels".

This would make sense because there was a bit of toxic backlash because the director said in interviews LGBTQ+ diversity blah blah and one of cast accidentally referred to anakin blowing up the deathstar.

But when I actually youtubed some reviews the woke/mainstream/antiwoke folks seem to all be in agreement that it was written by oxygen deprived monkeys, on rusty typewriters.

Im not sure what Im doing wrong but I can't actually find these 90% positive reviews (deepstate?)

Im not watching it. It looks bad, Im not interested in the plot and the reviews all seem pretty scathing.

I don't even care about Star Wars anymore. So i'm not trusting anybody on either side as far as i'm concerned. More the likely the show is average or barely good. You can't count on the youtubers for crap.

Reactions: Piscian

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

View attachment 11299

Star Wars is creatively bankrupt?! Say it ain't so. :eek:

X-Men '97 was a rare recent win for Disney.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Well fuck, a two-parter animated movies? Would this mean they would try to fit in more stuff from the comics this time? The live-action was good, but we know so much stuff was cut out. Hopefully this fixes all that. The animation looks really cool, and the character designs are exactly as same as the comics

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The plot thickens on Disneys "The Acolyte"

Screenshot_20240621-225121.png

I begrudgingly sat through the various incel, mainstream, and white knight reviews (I say white knight because actual progressive or leftist media reviewers don't want or care about star wars).

Sadly theres a distinct lack of self awareness across the board.

The incels are very reasonably critical until like lycanthropes on a full moon they cant contain their fury at a gay director employing their wife, but think its ok when George Miller does it.

The mainstream reviewers are forced by ad driven protocol to say "Its watchable" like they are trying to escape the clutches of Hal 9000.

The ever ironic white knight reviewers say "its fine" instinct forcing them to refuse to admit its not good for fear of validating the "review bombing" that must be "purely nazi driven'.

"Piscian why do you give a fuck? You refuse to even watch it?"

Well.. Im a huge star wars fan..and a massive hypocrite.

I fucking love star wars. Like its herpies. No matter how much it sucks I feel this uncontrollable draw to keep up with the lore. Ive read Dark Empire II twice. So even if I refuse to watch cringe shows Im still curious to see what's happening.

My other hypocrisy is that despite hating reality TV I love drama.. as long as its something tangential to my nerdom. Yes I watched Jenny Nicolsons YouTube piece on Starwars: Galaxy's Edge theme park.

I also am fascinated by the strange downfall of Disney as they become further driven by AI driven market analytics. Like they think everything is demographics and IP now, and find the idea of longterm development investments into things like WALLE, which took like 20 years to make, utterly terrifying.

I want Disney to get through whatever...this is.

I heard Inside out 2 is good? Little like peeing on an electric fence going out for a Disney movie anymore though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People need to actively disengage from Star Wars in general. Acolyte is just most people going nuts over nothing with comes to reception or saying the most recent episode is worse than Mandalorian or whatever. At this point, people are either watching out of spite (gotta stick it to the woke/anti-woke crowd), because they "have to", or because they're critics with principles. At this point, if you're not invested or know the show is not going to be good/what you wanted to be, then focusing something better and affecting your sanity. I stopped watching anything SW, aside from Visions, after Rise of Skywalker, and I am all the more happier for my decision.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
People need to actively disengage from Star Wars in general. Acolyte is just most people going nuts over nothing with comes to reception or saying the most recent episode is worse than Mandalorian or whatever. At this point, people are either watching out of spite (gotta stick it to the woke/anti-woke crowd), because they "have to", or because they're critics with principles. At this point, if you're not invested or know the show is not going to be good/what you wanted to be, then focusing something better and affecting your sanity. I stopped watching anything SW, aside from Visions, after Rise of Skywalker, and I am all the more happier for my decision.
Im very much an addict when it comes to Star Wars. Ill admit though Mandalorian S3 kinda broke me. Thread that is Star Wars Legends or like 90s era atar wars was snipped and now my investment is more morbid like learning a cousin died under mysterious circumstances.

I am on that cust though, of not even watching reviews. Im afraid to admit Star Wars might actually be dead.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
now my investment is more morbid like learning a cousin died under mysterious circumstances.
Do as you wish.

Im afraid to admit Star Wars might actually be dead.
As far as I'm concerned, it's dead to me. No More Heroes has more going for it, and there's only 4 entries total.