Funny events in anti-woke world

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I would add that it is likely better for the houses as well, having those immediately impacted by disrepair be responsible for maintenance.
Maybe: even many homeowners neglect their properties. This may be through issues like poverty, poor attitude, and frequently old age / infirmity. Although I would generally agree that a person who owns the value of their home will on balance be more likely to care for it.

Although as experienced in the UK, landlords have also found all manner of interesting ways to pass costs onto their tenants. After the Grenfell fire, for instance, it turned out that lots of landlords owning potential deathtraps tried, and in at least some cases had the right, to pass the cost of improving it in part or full onto their tenants. Thus the absurdity of expecting people on the breadline to pay tens of thousands apiece to make their homes safe (with their landlord enjoying the increased asset value). The government passed legislation to minimise this, although there are loopholes that still allow some landlords to do nothing or pass those costs onto their tenants.

Reactions: Satinavian

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
After formerly supporting Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden, Elon Musk is apparently turning over a new political leaf -
Well not exactly a ''new'' leaf. Musk is an open advocate for fascism for several years now. Not surprising from a kid who's dad had an apartheid mine.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Donald Trump once wondered aloud if disabled people "should just die".

“Those people . . . ” Donald said, trailing off. “The shape they’re in, all the expenses, maybe those kinds of people should just die.”
And then when the author talked to Trump- who is his uncle- about the struggles of raising his own son, who suffered from a genetic disorder that left him severely weakened and sick, Trump responded:

“He doesn’t recognize you. Maybe you should just let him die and move down to Florida.”
Donald Trump: Standard-bearer of the morals of the Republican party.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I would add that it is likely better for the houses as well, having those immediately impacted by disrepair be responsible for maintenance.
You really missed the boat on that whole "we've been here, done that" thing, haven't you. Namely, why there are so many damn regulations and laws regarding rental properties (not that they're oft-enforced) in the first place. You really ought to look up how truly awful tenements were in the Gilded Age as a word of warning to yourself.

That said, everyone else in the thread seems to be forgetting a key aspect of this current controversy: let's not forget private equity used its Covid free infinite money hack from the Fed to all but corner the market on residential properties (pricing out private buyers in the process), and now acts as an informal housing cartel to drive up rent and mortgage payments via artificial scarcity while lying about inflation.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Well not exactly a ''new'' leaf. Musk is an open advocate for fascism for several years now. Not surprising from a kid who's dad had an apartheid mine.
He's kinda like Rowling where it's hard to say to what extent they actually radicalized late into their life and to which extent they always thought that way but had to wait till it was socially acceptable to be upfront about it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

And then when the author talked to Trump- who is his uncle- about the struggles of raising his own son, who suffered from a genetic disorder that left him severely weakened and sick, Trump responded:

Reactions: Kwak

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yes, my thoughts exactly: chip off the old block.

I think most of what has changed about Musk is not his core beliefs - they've always been that repellent. What's changed is that he's become so much richer and more powerful that he no longer needs to care what people think of him, and no longer feels the need to say the right things to fit in with the majority views of his social / industrial sector.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Anyone else find it funny how the Daily Wire has made the kind of media that undermines their ideology four times now?

First, we had Run, Hide, Fight, a movie in which has a teenage girl become a female John McClain in less than 24 hours when her school is attacked by a gang of shooters.

Then there was Terror On The Prairie where a woman takes on a gang of former Confederate soldiers almost singlehandedly and pretty much runs the home while her husband blunders around looking for work.

Then we had Ladyballers which had more men in drag than the entirety of Disney's yearly output combined. Not to mention, spends more times mocking women's sports despite insisting that it's fighting for the integrity of women's sports by insisting transwomen should not compete in them and even has a speech that (unintentionally) points out how arbitrary gender roles are.

And finally, we have the most recent example in the form of Mr. Birchum which somehow amassed an LGBT following, despite being a show designed to push far right values.

If I were prone to believing conspiracy theories, I'd wonder if there's a group of feminists and LGBT allies who somehow managed to infiltrate them.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Anyone else find it funny how the Daily Wire has made the kind of media that undermines their ideology four times now?

First, we had Run, Hide, Fight, a movie in which has a teenage girl become a female John McClain in less than 24 hours when her school is attacked by a gang of shooters.

Then there was Terror On The Prairie where a woman takes on a gang of former Confederate soldiers almost singlehandedly and pretty much runs the home while her husband blunders around looking for work.

Then we had Ladyballers which had more men in drag than the entirety of Disney's yearly output combined. Not to mention, spends more times mocking women's sports despite insisting that it's fighting for the integrity of women's sports by insisting transwomen should not compete in them and even has a speech that (unintentionally) points out how arbitrary gender roles are.

And finally, we have the most recent example in the form of Mr. Birchum which somehow amassed an LGBT following, despite being a show designed to push far right values.

If I were prone to believing conspiracy theories, I'd wonder if there's a group of feminists and LGBT allies who somehow managed to infiltrate them.
It's just that these people really are purely reactive morons with no understanding of things, playing at being artists.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Or maybe you just completely misunderstand what they believe. (Exception for the last one, but they didn't accidentally make an LGBT show, people just make gay fanart of literally everything.)

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Ah the Canadian healthcare method. I thought progressives would be all over this after Trudeau introduced it in Canada, guess the issue is just when it's Trump suggesting it eh?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Ah the Canadian healthcare method. I thought progressives would be all over this after Trudeau introduced it in Canada, guess the issue is just when it's Trump suggesting it eh?
I think Trudeau made it too easy

And this is coming from a person who saw his dad in cancer palliative getting pumped so full of drugs that it hit the limit of what was legal and him still screaming out in pain. So I'm very much in favour of assisted dying as a more moral way of dealing with particular situations

But then, this is got more to do with you than the actual story

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Or maybe you just completely misunderstand what they believe. (Exception for the last one, but they didn't accidentally make an LGBT show, people just make gay fanart of literally everything.)
And what is it you think they believe?