Your video game hot take(s) thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That's what I was pointing out. You mentioned twice beforehand. Read your posts.
I am now confused as to your point.

Still doesn't change the fact that you have older and lower budget games that have better ai than it or the entire franchise.
... I'm confused.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I don't care at this point. Figure it out yourself. I already explained it enough times already.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, I don't care at this point. Figure it out yourself. I already explained it enough times already.
You need to work on your clarity.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You need to work on your clarity.
And you actually need to read and pay attention what you posted beforehand. I was already pretty clear to begin with. You made the same mistake made me with the others. That's on you.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And you actually need to read and pay attention what you posted beforehand. I was already pretty clear to begin with. You made the same mistake made me with the others. That's on you.
When you said " Still doesn't change the fact that you have older and lower budget games that have better ai than it or the entire franchise." I literally said Halo and Unreal. Both older and had less of a budget. You are clear like mud.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On some more important matters:

Calling it now, This is going to make MS lose money and a possible lawsuit.

After playing Gungrave GORE and Evil West back to back, I hope we get more over-the-top old-school arcade style 3rd person shooters. The industry can use more of these fill the void that became empty around the 7th generations of consoles. And by old school arcade style 3rd person shooter, I am not referring to cover shooters.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Somebody open a window, these takes are making it pretty warm in here.

Well, only Fromsoft really does this to this extent. But then I don't know what goes into making an enemy go from alive to dead developement wise. Maybe Fromsoft leaves certain parameters on when an enemy drops that causes the ragdolling, or maybe they put too much effort into it in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and now it's become part of their calling card so they have to put in every game now.
No way, I've seen silly rag dolling in a bunch of other games. Elder Scrolls does it, for one. Maybe Ezekial can help me come up with another 49 examples.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well, only Fromsoft really does this to this extent. But then I don't know what goes into making an enemy go from alive to dead developement wise. Maybe Fromsoft leaves certain parameters on when an enemy drops that causes the ragdolling, or maybe they put too much effort into it in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and now it's become part of their calling card so they have to put in every game now.
FromSoftware got rid of ragdoll collisions after death in DS2 and people hated it, so they brought it back in all future games. In fact, people hated not being able to ragdoll dead bodies so much that there are mods for DS2 that put it back in.

Reactions: Worgen and BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
FromSoftware got rid of ragdoll collisions after death in DS2 and people hated it, so they brought it back in all future games. In fact, people hated not being able to ragdoll dead bodies so much that there are mods for DS2 that put it back in.
Are you serious? No way.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
If it's intended that they throw themselves off of ledges I'd put question marks behind that design.

Souls enemies aren't any less smart than other game enemies, they just lack a lot of the window dressing those enemies have. In a Souls game enemies are either attacking you or they're pretty much standing still doing absolutely nothing. As opposed to other games where there's maybe more of a sense interacting with the environment or eachother, whether it's enemies talking to eachother or their passive animations showing more personality.

Even when dead and sticking to you like shopping bags highlights the very rudimentary design behind Souls enemies.
ER in particular has enemies fighting each other like the soldiers and misbegotten, or ways for the player to get enemies fighting certain field bosses to help whittle their health down. Outside of some bosses these games have previously/typically left it pretty much at, “anything that doesn’t talk to you wants to kill you”, since combat and looting are a huge part of the main gameplay loop. The rest outside of mostly obtuse quest design has more in common with survival horror than any traditional RPG aspects.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No way, I've seen silly rag dolling in a bunch of other games. Elder Scrolls does it, for one. Maybe Ezekial can help me come up with another 49 examples.
Other games rag-doll, Fromsoft games plastic-bag.

With other games the rag-dolling typically stops once they're dead on the ground, but Fromsoft just keeps it going, making even previously imposing elite enemies stick to your heels like toilet paper. Wonder what the in-universe lore behind that is?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Other games rag-doll, Fromsoft games plastic-bag.

With other games the rag-dolling typically stops once they're dead on the ground, but Fromsoft just keeps it going, making even previously imposing elite enemies stick to your heels like toilet paper. Wonder what the in-universe lore behind that is?
They're hollow so when they die they deflate.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
In response to this article describing this year has not having a big obvious GOTY contender:

Game of the Year 2024 contenders aren’t clear yet — at all - Polygon

Well I have railed against the idea of smug pushy consensus favorites and critical darlings so my hot take is that I enjoy this kind of year more than the ones dominated by the YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS years.

FF7:rebirth, Like a Dragon, Animal Well, Lorelei.. all very different games that have hit their respective audiences hard. I love that for them. And I love that my personal favorite game of the year so far is basically a glorified flash game and will most likely be an indy critical darling but the kind I personally like. It just makes everything feel less pressure and intense.

I know y'all are gonna say "well I just play what I want and like what I want" sure we all do, that's not the point. We do also consume games media and coverage and I just think it's all a lot more pleasant without the mob mentality pressure that makes it feel like you're a bad person if you don't get clubbed to death a million times by Elden Ring's camera bosses or are pressured to reload saves all the time in Baldur's Gate 3 or whatever.

I would even consider all this a good industry-wide trend if it wasn't paired with, like, firing everybody.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In response to this article describing this year has not having a big obvious GOTY contender:

Well I have railed against the idea of smug pushy consensus favorites and critical darlings so my hot take is that I enjoy this kind of year more than the ones dominated by the YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS years.

FF7:rebirth, Like a Dragon, Animal Well, Lorelei.. all very different games that have hit their respective audiences hard. I love that for them. And I love that my personal favorite game of the year so far is basically a glorified flash game and will most likely be an indy critical darling but the kind I personally like. It just makes everything feel less pressure and intense.

I know y'all are gonna say "well I just play what I want and like what I want" sure we all do, that's not the point. We do also consume games media and coverage and I just think it's all a lot more pleasant without the mob mentality pressure that makes it feel like you're a bad person if you don't get clubbed to death a million times by Elden Ring's camera bosses or are pressured to reload saves all the time in Baldur's Gate 3 or whatever.

I would even consider all this a good industry-wide trend if it wasn't paired with, like, firing everybody.
I always just ignore whatever's going on and make choices for myself. Forget about polygon. They either start crap or make a big deal out of nothing, i'm majority of the time. As for the usual riff raff, I usually tell them the screw off if they have a problem with my game of year choices or anybody else's own game of year choices. They ain't shit and are just a bunch of bitches.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

This year doesn't have a big obvious GOTY contender because there just weren't that many big games released this year. The games industry blew its load last year. I'm still playing all of the games from last year and haven't even bought a single new game this year other than Helldiver's 2.

Between Baldur's Gate 3, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, FF16, Spider-man 2, Diablo 4, and the Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty expansion there's like 1000 hours worth of games to play and that's only counting the big open world games.

If you add in things like RE4, AW2, AC6, HI-Fi Rush, and all of the other smaller games there's just an insane list that would take any normal person several years to get through.

On the other hand I can't think of anything that came out this year that I feel the need to play immediately and that would push aside in my backlog anything that came out last year.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On the other hand I can't think of anything that came out this year that I feel the need to play immediately and that would push aside in my backlog anything that came out last year.
I've been catching up on my Steam games and just finished my GORE run of Gungrave GORE. The only new games that I am picking up this year are Shadow of the Ninja Reborn, and The Marvel vs. Capcom Collection.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Part of what I think about Genshin Impact's Natlan region... prediction:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Devil May Cry 5 isn't very good. Itsuno is a has-been.

Character changed as soon as you begin to appreciate the one you're playing. Lousy structure.

Gothic metal fantasy style of old games replaced with boring realism. Subway in 5 just looks like a subway. Too many flesh corridors.

Dante is a mechanical mess of iteration upon iteration built on top of each other. Very mechanical in the brain. Have to remember where your weapons are in the cycle of three and takes longer. Worked better as a toggle, with two. I know I can still assign just two, but don't like the game anyway. With the D-pad style switching on top of the many weapons, the messiness feels multiplied when playing. As if a lock-on melee action game really needed three ranged weapons on L2. Most of it looks so uncool. Motorcycle melee weapon isn't charming or cool, it's just dumb. (Character design lacks style too. At least the fruity cowboy look from 4 is gone, but not much better. Too much detail, too many lines, fuzz that's worse than both a clean shave and real beard, the homeless look.) Should have reinvented him, given you more ways to customize him so that you didn't need to press so many buttons, a nice combination of moves and weapons that you really liked. Fans are decline-enablers, always wanting more of the same.

Replacing all the fixed cams with this zoomed-in spastic orbital cam made it harder to see what was going on. DMC3 knew how to balance the two cams, and even its orbital cam wasn't so bad.

Beginning of video shows visibility became pig water. Look at where the cam is at 25 seconds. Why did it go closer and closer leading up to the uselessness at 25 seconds when there are two other demons that need to be seen? Look at 24:03. If there are three enemies, why does the cam zoom in and cut out the other two after he moves in for the kill? The cam rotates on its own as well. It wants to be all dynamic and movie-like, an annoyance that can't be fixed with any settings. It's trash, objectively. I can't remember if DMC4 used the orbital cam in all fights, but if so, then that's even more reason for me to shit on the game. They dropped the cinematic cam for no other reason than morons thinking it's dated and bad. Lost so much atmosphere and function with it's removal.

You can't even change targets while moving anymore. L3 only works when he's still. It's been screwed up since 4.

Pointless story. Barely remember what happened. All felt so inconsequential as they sparred at the end.

Last edited: