US 2024 Presidential Election

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
What are you talking about? You're too far down the rabbit hole.
Coup. A party can't try to illegitimately get themselves into power without electoral and popular mandate, and then get grumpy when their attemps to grant themselves power to make this easier gets distrusted.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And none of that is actually progressive. Not saying it's all bad, just not a matter of progress.
No, those rights shouldn't be progressive. They should be conservative if conservatives actually believed in rights

The unfortunate thing about rights is that it is usually only given to those who hold some form of power in that moment

Like, the Magna Carta didn't help 99% of people. It didn't even help rich people

This is by design

On the opposite side, Conservatism does not have to have anything to do with hierarchies.... but here we are, still dealing with them as they warp a national image to those on tops' benefit, and trampling over everyone else's rights

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No, those rights shouldn't be progressive. They should be conservative if conservatives actually believed in rights
Rights are neither progressive nor conservative, they are fixed principles justified in ideological terms, not practical ones.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Coup. A party can't try to illegitimately get themselves into power without electoral and popular mandate, and then get grumpy when their attemps to grant themselves power to make this easier gets distrusted.

The unfortunate thing about rights is that it is usually only given to those who hold some form of power in that moment

Like, the Magna Carta didn't help 99% of people. It didn't even help rich people

This is by design

On the opposite side, Conservatism does not have to have anything to do with hierarchies.... but here we are, still dealing with them as they warp a national image to those on tops' benefit, and trampling over everyone else's rights
In short: Republicans and Conservatives are petty bitches whom all get pissed off and cry when things don't go their way, and have gall to act offended when people distrust them or hate them for supporting overthrowing the government/pretending it didn't happen for the sake of pleasing their death cult fan base and their "God".

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Rights are... fixed principles justified in ideological terms, not practical ones.
Rights may often tend to ideological framing, but in truth are usually heavily based in practical considerations, and these practical considerations may be explicitly addressed. For instance, the USA's much-mentioned Second Amendment explains the practical basis for the right it creates.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Yes, it doesn't work differently because no one is willing to vote third party
That's because under first past the post unless you can get at least 60 million or so people to also switch to that same third party you only hurt your interests being represented. And when that happens they're in the process of not being a third party any more, but instead replacing one of the existing big two.

Your best odds for actually pushing politics in a direction you prefer is in the primaries or starting at county/municipal offices and building up from there.

Honestly, I'm registered independent, have never voted for a GOP presidential candidate, 2016 and before voted a mixed ticket down ballot, and usually do the GOP primary because I usually see primaries as damage control. By that I mean I mentally rate the candidates for both parties, figure out which party has the widest spread between best and worst candidates, and then do that party's primary.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That's because under first past the post unless you can get at least 60 million or so people to also switch to that same third party you only hurt your interests being represented. And when that happens they're in the process of not being a third party any more, but instead replacing one of the existing big two.

Your best odds for actually pushing politics in a direction you prefer is in the primaries or starting at county/municipal offices and building up from there.

Honestly, I'm registered independent, have never voted for a GOP presidential candidate, 2016 and before voted a mixed ticket down ballot, and usually do the GOP primary because I usually see primaries as damage control. By that I mean I mentally rate the candidates for both parties, figure out which party has the widest spread between best and worst candidates, and then do that party's primary.
I'd say I agree with the Primaries thing but we all saw what happened when someone with even a bit of left leaning politics got dogpiled by The Establishment in 2016...

That is the moment that kind of broke me off from The Democrats as it became crystal clear that anyone who is even remotely left in this country will never get a fair shake as the people in power will always put their thumb on the scales.

For the rest, I do agree, which is why I still go vote every election knowing that for the most part, the person I want in the high up positions won't get there but the people I want in the local positions still have a shot.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The republicans attempted a coup? That's news to me.

Democrats really believed in rights during covid... You would get forced to leave a park trying to teach your kid to ride a bike.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
and outlaw public sector unions.
There is only one group of workers I think should be barred from unionizing, and it's a subset of public sector workers, specifically emergency services.

Vote green, and get everyone you know to vote green. They are Not Trump, believe in racial justice, a green transition, and an end to genocide.
*looks at 2016* Wait, wasn't the line that the Green party is a Russian plant to steal votes from Democrats?

If democrats can't offer anything than brand loyalty over another party, and has notably drawbacks, they should be discarded.
This is why they've been honing the terror tactic for a good while now - you should vote Democrat not because you support Democrats or consider them the best choice, but because you should be terrified of what will happen if a Republican wins and fight to stop that. That's their sales pitch.

for the right it creates.
...for the right it protects, rather. Things are legal by default, and most laws cut into your right to do certain things. 2nd Amendment erects a wall around the right to bear arms, declaring it off limits from that cutting.

I'd say I agree with the Primaries thing but we all saw what happened when someone with even a bit of left leaning politics got dogpiled by The Establishment in 2016...
Superdelegates literally exist so the party can place a thumb on the scale and require massively overwhelming support to dislodge it. Clinton only ever needed about 30% of the primary vote in any given state because of them (for example in my state she got 35% opposed to Sanders 53% so of course she got a majority of our delegates).

The republicans attempted a coup? That's news to me.
You know he's talking about Jan 6, you know that silly attack on the Capitol thing, and the fake electors thing, and the chanting about wanting to hang the VP for refusing to help them overturn the election from gallows that would have collapsed if they had actually tried?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You know he's talking about Jan 6, you know that silly attack on the Capitol thing, and the fake electors thing, and the chanting about wanting to hang the VP for refusing to help them overturn the election from gallows that would have collapsed if they had actually tried?
Remember removing Trump from ballots? The democrats did the elector thing 1st IIRC. Republicans were chanting to hang the VP?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yep.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Remember removing Trump from ballots?
I mean its kinda crazy the guy tried violently clinging to power even gets to be on the ballot instead of rotting in a jail cell. I can't imagine any other country where literal traitors are allowed to run for office.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Rights may often tend to ideological framing, but in truth are usually heavily based in practical considerations, and these practical considerations may be explicitly addressed. For instance, the USA's much-mentioned Second Amendment explains the practical basis for the right it creates.
Freedom of speech can't progress. It is a fixed concept. It cannot be conserved, only preserved or abandoned.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Were you by knocked out by any chance during January six? Gosh that's crazy. I hope you're doing okay now.

Towards the end is the relevant clip. Unless you're trying to pull some kind of "it wasn't really Republicans doing Jan 6" thing?
When were republicans (you know, people in office) breaking into the Capitol and chanting to hang their own VP?

I mean its kinda crazy the guy tried violently clinging to power even gets to be on the ballot instead of rotting in a jail cell. I can't imagine any other country where literal traitors are allowed to run for office.
He didn't do anything violent and to be a traitor or insurrectionist, you have to be convicted of that just like a murderer would. Surely if Trump is either one of those or both of them, there'd at least be a trial charging him with such things, right? Removing the other party's most electable candidate from ballots completely unconstitutionally mind you is far more dangerous than someone saying "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."