General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's also this annoying trend in pop culture fandom that everything is cringe or quip because, sure, we've been indundated with Marvel and a generation of creators whose biggest influence in dialogue writing is Joss Whedon. But now the backlash to that is so extreme where anytime a character makes a sarcastic comment the reaction is CRINGE. Everything is CRINGE so much that, I'm sorry- cringe is the real cringe (just like the most overrated word is "overrated").
And what's really ironic is that "Whedonism" didn't infect that much of media or pop culture. That's of people going overboard on the hatred of anything Marvel or Marvel adjacent. I remember some people trying to hate on DMC5's dialogue before the game even came out. Even though The franchise has been doing quips and one liners since day one. A lot of fans were able to shut these people down and call them out.

Everything is CRINGE so much that, I'm sorry- cringe is the real cringe (just like the most overrated word is "overrated").
Cringe is the new overuse/misuse ff the word epic. Whenever a youtube video has cringe and bold riding on a thumbnail, I immediately ignore it, because It's usually an overreaction or something that it's not even close to "cringe".

Concord is that greatest offense to our sense since... Forspoken, according to the zeitgeist. Even though they, like so many games, are just mediocre, they are/were treated like war crimes. I do feel that sometimes we're throwing out the baby with the bath water and that good ideas, assets, mechanics might be getting lost, and then lamer cash-grab worse games get greenlit. Look how many franchises we love started off iffy then developed into something great- I mean it does seem like so many of our favorite games are sequels.
What I noticed too, is that a lot of these people hate on anything new and are are nostalgic for the old, but do not want to admit it. They'll make exceptions if it fits their narrow world view, but we've seen where that leads.

Even though they, like so many games, are just mediocre, they are/were treated like war crimes.
That's what I dislike about crrent audience and nerdom. It's people hating on anything that's just average or mediocre like they're the worst thing ever. It either has to be perfect, bad, or "so bad it's good" (which people on youtube try to force most of the time). I can live with something being average or just decent. I don't need every single piece of media to be some masterpiece or failure that needs to burn in hell.

Besides the real war crimes in video games are the publishers that continue to use seasons passes, cut games into bite size pieces that used to be bonus modes, and all the confusing "Special Dumbass Cocksuckers Editions" companies like Ubisoft keep putting out.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Concord is that greatest offense to our sense since... Forspoken, according to the zeitgeist. Even though they, like so many games, are just mediocre, they are/were treated like war crimes. I do feel that sometimes we're throwing out the baby with the bath water and that good ideas, assets, mechanics might be getting lost, and then lamer cash-grab worse games get greenlit. Look how many franchises we love started off iffy then developed into something great- I mean it does seem like so many of our favorite games are sequels.
I think what makes it different is that it is a high profile failure.

When a game fails that people have never heard of, it doesn't get talked about. But Concord, Suicide Squad, Redfall, Skull and Bones ... those get talked about. They are all expensive, high profile games with ads everywhere and dozens of articles about the game before release. They are highlighted as the coming, well, highlights of the year for varrious console, expected to carry them.

And then they fail.

It is just different from some small indie developer publishing a working but mediocre game that doesn't sell. Or yet another low effort gacha for mobile shutting down after half a year.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I think what makes it different is that it is a high profile failure.

When a game fails that people have never heard of, it doesn't get talked about. But Concord, Suicide Squad, Redfall, Skull and Bones ... those get talked about. They are all expensive, high profile games with ads everywhere and dozens of articles about the game before release. They are highlighted as the coming, well, highlights of the year for varrious console, expected to carry them.

And then they fail.

It is just different from some small indie developer publishing a working but mediocre game that doesn't sell. Or yet another low effort gacha for mobile shutting down after half a year.
Fair.
But to my point, I'm glad you brought up Redfall- from what I saw, that game was actually BAD. I watched the SecondWind guys play it and enemies would just like awkwardly stand there lol. I mean it failed being, like, an actual GAME.
Skull and Bones is somewhere in the middle- it does work, but its constant delays to deliver such barely passable experience- and especially coming from everyone's favorite target Ubisoft- well, it was like Ubisoft doing a self-parody of themselves.

Probably I'm nitpicking, it's just crazy to me that Concord is being treated seemingly harsher than Redfall.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition is a project of enhancement packages that makes the PC version of Silent Hill 2 (2001) compatible with modern hardware and playable in widescreen aspect ratios, while improving visuals, audio, and bugs. Examples of what Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition provides are:

• High definition game resolutions
  • Widescreen (16:9) camera fixes
  • Upscaled fonts, videos, and images
  • 60 FPS mode with high framerate fixes
  • Restored soft shadows and audio quality
  • Restored fog and post-processing effects
  • Improved controller/mouse support
  • ...and much more
Made by a collaborative team of programmers, modders, and artists, Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition provides a definitive Silent Hill 2 (2001) HD experience.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Yeah that's all fair- and believe me I'm the last person to say anybody should play/watch/read/listen to anything because reasons.

I think what's bothering me is the mean, aggressive tone. It's not just that people didn't want to play it- of course they didn't, it's a free-to-play game you gotta pay for- it's the reaction like we're offended that this existed. Some posts here are even doing this. like HOW DARE THEY... release a game?! lol calm the f*** down, gamers. It's not just a failed game, it's a scandal.

There's also this annoying trend in pop culture fandom that everything is cringe or quip because, sure, we've been indundated with Marvel and a generation of creators whose biggest influence in dialogue writing is Joss Whedon. But now the backlash to that is so extreme where anytime a character makes a sarcastic comment the reaction is CRINGE. Everything is CRINGE so much that, I'm sorry- cringe is the real cringe (just like the most overrated word is "overrated").

Man, I dunno what to tell you. I just don't really follow these things so closely so I guess I missed some of what you've clearly seen. Like I just remember seeing some ugly ass designs once in a while and rapidly scrolling away, not delving in. I'm the type who rejoices in the things he loves as opposed to looking into something totally unappealing to hate on it deeper.

I will say, Forspoken is many orders of magnitude less flawed than Concord was though, in that game you mainly just had bad storytelling and worthless characters, the overall visual design and combat were pretty solid. I think with that game you just had way higher expectations cause it's a Square game so the disappointment was also higher whereas nobody had been hype (or even aware of) concord for the majority of the last 8 years.

As for Marvel comics, again, I'm more of a manga fan, I will once in a while hear explosions and drama over at the comic book store, but I'll just rapidly return to reading about whatever Luffy got up to this week and what have you lol.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

There were Telltale Minecraft games. I'm not even shocked. I don't know why you're shocked at this point. We've already seen worse ideas.
My theory is that the Pikachu movie finally broke Hollywood. That movie was made on a lark, it did well, and now any exec that would dismiss a video game movie- any video game movie, no matter how dumb, would be laughed out of the room.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My theory is that the Pikachu movie finally broke Hollywood. That movie was made on a lark, it did well, and now any exec that would dismiss a video game movie- any video game movie, no matter how dumb, would be laughed out of the room.
An interesting theory but I doubt it. Considering how hands on Nintendo was with the project. Not as much as the 3d Mario movie, but they had their eyes on it. Hollywood in general just doesn't respect any medium at all. Not even their own. It's whatever makes them money.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Wasn't it the case that they complained the game wasn't woke enough for not hiring the DEI consultants or whatever? Honestly I don't care about all this external nonsense, way more interesting to analyze the mechanics and gameplay and the gorgeous aesthetic. I freaking fought a thunder dragon on a frozen lake! And she'd get her tail stuck in the ice if you dodged right too, so epic.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
No, and it's all stupid anyway. Especially on the far right end.
This is what I was thinking of:

It's from a while back but that's the last I heard of it. Basically they were making up mistranslations as a way of getting back at them or whatever. Honestly it's all irrelevant.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is what I was thinking of:

It's from a while back but that's the last I heard of it. Basically they were making up mistranslations as a way of getting back at them or whatever. Honestly it's all irrelevant.
First I've heard about this and I honestly don't care. Sucks that once again western critics can't handle a respectful and understandable no. I don't know what the hell DEI was thinking in the first place, if it is even true. Don't know why they would take such a big gamble or risk on this game for extortion. It's why I don't believe it personally. The developers didn't need it and they're doing more than great, so it's all irrelevant.