Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

Guess Spyro, Infamous, Killzone, Resistence, Sly FUCKING Cooper, SOCOM, Jak and Daxter, and Little Big Planet all exisited in our imaginations, thus creating another case of Mandela Effect
Legend of Dragoon too, people forget that one was a first party sony game.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Guess Spyro, Infamous, Killzone, Resistence, Sly FUCKING Cooper, SOCOM, Jak and Daxter, and Little Big Planet all exisited in our imaginations, thus creating another case of Mandela Effect
You're misreading. They don't have enough original IP that can easily be warped into live-service garbage. That's all the company leadership can think of.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Guess Spyro, Infamous, Killzone, Resistence, Sly FUCKING Cooper, SOCOM, Jak and Daxter, and Little Big Planet all existed in our imaginations, thus creating another case of Mandela Effect
Microsoft and Activision own Spyro. Not Sony. Everything else you're dead on right though. Back on the topic, what the fuck is wrong with you Sony? There is literally no difference between MS and Sony at this point. The only reason I got a PS5 was to play better running PS4 games and for Japanese games like the last generation. Nintendo, show me what you got!

You're misreading. They don't have enough original IP that can easily be warped into live-service garbage. That's all the company leadership can think of.
They've learned nothing from 7th generation. Did already forget about God of War, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, or even TLOUS II? There most recent titles. The next Astro Bot is coming out soon, and I bet they've already forgotten about him. At this point, that's the only Sony exclusive worth playing, because it's actually fun and you're not bogged down by slow walking section. This doesn't surprise me, because is the same company (and Activision) that was surprised The Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy did great. They both expected the trilogy either sell average or fail! I expected that shit from Activision back in 2017, but I was shocked when Sony had the same mind set. This franchise sold a bunch of your PS1 consoles! Why the fuck were you expecting sales to be mediocre or worse?!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Microsoft and Activision own Spyro. Not Sony. Everything else you're dead on right though. Back on the topic, what the fuck is wrong with you Sony? There is literally no difference between MS and Sony at this point. The only reason I got a PS5 was to play better running PS4 games and for Japanese games like the last generation. Nintendo, show me what you got!

They've learned nothing from 7th generation. Did already forget about God of War, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, or even TLOUS II? There most recent titles. The next Astro Bot is coming out soon, and I bet they've already forgotten about him. At this point, that's the only Sony exclusive worth playing, because it's actually fun and you're not bogged down by slow walking section. This doesn't surprise me, because is the same company (and Activision) that was surprised The Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy did great. They both expected the trilogy either sell average or fail! I expected that shit from Activision back in 2017, but I was shocked when Sony had the same mind set. This franchise sold a bunch of your PS1 consoles! Why the fuck were you expecting sales to be mediocre or worse?!
GAAS mishaps aside, when’s the last time Sony really pushed something that didn’t feel like you’re “playing a movie”? That’s the biggest issue with them now. Everything has to be cinematic and have a contemporary message to appeal to a wider audience, maybe throw in some virtue signaling, etc. Having fun gameplay simply isn’t enough of a selling point anymore.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
GAAS mishaps aside, when’s the last time Sony really pushed something that didn’t feel like you’re “playing a movie”?
The Astro Bot games and the upcoming new game. Rift Apart did have a cinematic epic angle to it, but the game remembers to have gameplay and has no forced walking sections, nor QTEs of any fashion. There was also Sack Boy's Big Adventure in 2020. Notice how all of these are 3d platformers of some kind.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
GAAS mishaps aside, when’s the last time Sony really pushed something that didn’t feel like you’re “playing a movie”? That’s the biggest issue with them now. Everything has to be cinematic and have a contemporary message to appeal to a wider audience, maybe throw in some virtue signaling, etc. Having fun gameplay simply isn’t enough of a selling point anymore.
First of all, those are the Sony games that sell. Secondly, the biggest issue for them right now is that they spent hundreds of millions of dollars constructing miles of highway that nobody really wants to use, i.e. live service.

At worst their cinematic games have stagnated into being too self serious, because gameplay wise they're better than they've ever been. Even TLoU2, as miserably up its own ass as it is, has far better gameplay than either the Uncharted games or TLoU1. Nobody complains about a new Yakuza/Like a Dragon game coming out nearly every year, eventhough they are far more sitting through cutscenes than anything Naughty Dog ever did, because those games have an air of wacky fun and jovialness to them.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Not to nitpick too much (I'll just wait and see on the Minecraft movie) but I want to push back on one line:

"...ain't nobody goin' go see no movie that looks like, you know, pixelated blocks."
Because nobody's ever made a movie that looks like pixelated blocks. Vanilla Minecraft can look great with a shader and texture pack thrown on:

That's before getting into Bedrock Edition and/or modding:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because nobody's ever made a movie that looks like pixelated blocks. Vanilla Minecraft can look great with a shader and texture pack thrown on:
Korey has more than a few opnions or takes I disagree with. At least actually admits when he's proven wrong.

That's before getting into Bedrock Edition and/or modding:
That looks cool!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I'm not mad, I'm confused.
I remember seeing these images without text over them and I hadn't the foggiest they were depicting something related to minecraft. I thought it was some new weird stranger things episode. Or it was some sort of parody image due to the guy with the pink jacket. But yeah definitely not minecraft.

If you asked me what I'd expect a minecraft movie to look like, I'd go either of two ways. Animated like the lego movie, or a dark take on it as a survival horror thriller thing aimed at older teens and above.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

PlayStation announced Fairgames (Fairgame$) last summer as the online shooter about robbing filthy rich corpos, all while competing with other merc teams to see who can hoover up the most cash, ironically coming from Haven Studios and billion dollar company Sony. The game first raised eyebrows because Haven Studios is led by Jade Raymond, an early producer on Assassin's Creed who was instrumental in the stealthy-stabby series' massive success.

Despite the massive blunder, the publisher is reportedly pretty confident in its upcoming heist 'em up. GamesIndustry.biz's Christopher Dring recently spoke about internal reactions to Fairgames in the outlet's Microcast podcast, saying that he's "heard good things about Jade Raymond's game." "I know people are a bit sceptical about it, but I've heard that internal chatter is very positive about it," Dring continued, before speculating that Fairgames is one of the live service games that PlayStation is really "focusing on" to "support and try and make work."
And for those who has never heard of Fairgame$ (yes, that's how it's actually spelled), here's a CGI trailer from one year ago:

This isn't a live-service her-shooter; it's a live-service extraction-shooter! Because they have garnered such a positive reputation as of late! /s

Let's let it burn itself out and watch history repeat itself

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

And for those who has never heard of Fairgame$ (yes, that's how it's actually spelled), here's a CGI trailer from one year ago:

This isn't a live-service her-shooter; it's a live-service extraction-shooter! Because they have garnered such a positive reputation as of late!

Sony has a big case of Copium!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

This isn't a live-service her-shooter; it's a live-service extraction-shooter! Because they have garnered such a positive reputation as of late!

Ah. A dollar sign in the name. At least they're honest about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Ah. A dollar sign in the name. At least they're honest about it.
That's the game about doing bank heists right? I wanna be charitable and say it's prolly just the game's creative decision to put that dollar sign there, though the timing could definitely have been better lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Short answer, no. Itsuno still going to make games, but he's doing his own thing somewhere else, and a younger dev is going to take up the mantle at Capcom to do DMC6.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America