Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Out of Sony's "cinematic games", Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the best, because it has next to zero forced walking sections. No QTEs. Just straight running, gunning, and platforming. With the occasional awesome set pieces. The game's only major weakness is the lack of boss battle variety.

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter like slightly more than X-Men vs. Street Fighter. MSH has faster gameplay and has Cyber Akuma has a final boss! Plus, I prefer playing Sakura over Cammy. The game has a few hidden/modified characters too. The best hidden characters are all SF character, funny enough. I know MSH is a modified version with almost all of the X-Men characters replaced, but they're both good games.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Reload canceling is a stupid mechanic.

If your game is balanced around the full reload animation playing out, then reload canceling should be seen as a bug and reload timings should be adjusted to match the full animation. If your game is balanced around the player optimizing reload canceling then what's the point of having such a long reload animation? Just make the reload animation shorter to match the timing of the actual reload.

If you want reloading to be a "skill" then incorporate it into the game properly like Gears of War did with the active reload system, and have a shorter reload animation as well as a longer reload animation.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Castlevania Bloodlines I consider the best Castlevania game of all time.

My list is mainly composed of the Classicvania games. I don't care much for the Metroidvania style.
  1. Bloodlines
  2. Castlevania Adventure: ReBirth
  3. Haunted Castle: Revisited
  4. Super Castlevania 4
  5. Castlevania Chronicles
  6. Rondo of Blood
  7. Castlevania III (Japanese version)
  8. Belmont's Revenge
  9. Castlevania I

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Crazy hot take prediction: Marathon will be good.

Bungie is going through some painful reckoning and as always it's workers who suffer with lay-offs. But they're accepting that Destiny is unwieldy and they're re-working Marathon in response.
I have no stake, I don't play these types of games, but now that Sony + Bungie is done trying to have their cake and eat it to, Marathon has a chance to be good and if it is, gamers will forget all the crap from this year and play it gleefully.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Crazy hot take prediction: Marathon will be good.

Bungie is going through some painful reckoning and as always it's workers who suffer with lay-offs. But they're accepting that Destiny is unwieldy and they're re-working Marathon in response.
I have no stake, I don't play these types of games, but now that Sony + Bungie is done trying to have their cake and eat it to, Marathon has a chance to be good and if it is, gamers will forget all the crap from this year and play it gleefully.
You assume too much. The original Marathon is a single player game that predated Halo. It did have multiple player, but it wasn't the main focus. This reboot or reimagining or whatever. It's just another live service game but as an extraction shooter. There's a bunch of those in the market too. Not as much as hero shooters, but they really have to do something to stand out from the crowd, and I doubt they're gonna do much with it. Not to forget but that executive at Bungie had used people's paychecks/severance packages to buy all those expensive cars. Bungie doesn't it have it even close to having their shit together.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You assume too much. The original Marathon is a single player game that predated Halo. It did have multiple player, but it wasn't the main focus. This reboot or reimagining or whatever. It's just another live service game but as an extraction shooter. There's a bunch of those in the market too. Not as much as hero shooters, but they really have to do something to stand out from the crowd, and I doubt they're gonna do much with it. Not to forget but that executive at Bungie had used people's paychecks/severance packages to buy all those expensive cars. Bungie doesn't it have it even close to having their shit together.

Of course I am, lol, that's why it's crazy prediction in a hot takes thread. Bungie does not have it together but they're taking steps to give them the potential to have it together. By the time Marathon comes out maybe there'll be a market for whatever it is and the fact they they're re-working what was advertised as an extraction shooter suggests they may actually be trying to deliver a game that people want.

After all, that is Sony's whole problem- they been trying to sort of force through the most potentially lucrative game types, but now they're scaling back. Concord is done. They're not pimping this dozen live service game crap any more. They're reigning in Bungie. It's not fair because workers suffer and execs keep their gross mountains of cash but after a couple of years there's the potential of good games on the other side, and Marathon is just the IP to do it.

So if it fails, well, we won't be surprised. But if it succeeds, we'll look back and see that the ugliness of now was a necessary intermediary step and my prediciton will look brilliant and I get to say I told you so.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They're reigning in Bungie. It's not fair because workers suffer and execs keep their gross mountains of cash but after a couple of years there's the potential of good games on the other side, and Marathon is just the IP to do it.
I don't believe them nor do I trust them.

But if it succeeds, we'll look back and see that the ugliness of now was a necessary intermediary step
That "necessary intermediary step" wouldn't that happen in the first place? Had Sony learned their lessons from the seventh generation of consoles, They wouldn't be in the shit hey got themselves in the first place.
Sony trying to take away physical ownership with these new pricings on the pro. Is not helping their case either.

It's not fair because workers suffer and execs keep their gross mountains of cash
Even when the game comes out, i'm not supporting them. That's mainly the reason why. Also, there's already pushed back because they're trying to charge forty dollars for this game, like Concord.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Then release it to PC, Steam, and Xbox, you morons. You have to have played the first game, two have a PS5, and three have to want more than the first game. Is it any wonder FF7REII only sold 300K and let Sony take them in like chumps?

At least Stellar Blade needed funding.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Then release it to PC, Steam, and Xbox, you morons. You have to have played the first game, two have a PS5, and three have to want more than the first game. Is it any wonder FF7REII only sold 300K and let Sony take them in like chumps?

At least Stellar Blade needed funding.

Really though…how did the follow-up to the most anticipated PS remake of all time only move 300k? Did that many people basically just hit it and quit it after the first? Like, it’s not like it was a cliff hanger or anything either…

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Really though…how did the follow-up to the most anticipated PS remake of all time only move 300k? Did that many people basically just hit it and quit it after the first? Like, it’s not like it was a cliff hanger or anything either…
I bet if they just did one remake and it was one game it would have been one of the best seller of all time. This trilogy thing over like a decade thing is freaking insane.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
basically just hit it and quit it after the first?
Pretty much. You also have people that just want a straight up regular remake as one game. Then you have the people who quit because the whole time in multi. Versing was either too much for them or not explained well. Mainly only something hardcore fans will be able to get or comprehend. Don't forget that both of these games are timed exclusives with the largest budgets ever.
I bet if they just did one remake and it was one game it would have been one of the best seller of all time. This trilogy thing over like a decade thing is freaking insane.
I called this out years ago and some people through a fuss or considered me wrong. I love it when I'm vindicated and validated.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
All the complainers about Dragon Age: The Veilguard can eat a d***

Wah wah I want the original Dragon Age style. My brothers in games- there is not "Dragon Age style." It's three games, with different enough elements to each of them. "Well I didn't like Inquisition either" means you shouldn't care at all about Veilguard- in what freaking universe would they go "back?" It's like people complaining that the new Assassins Creed isn't like the ones from a decade ago. And, yeah, Final Fantasy dorks- I can't even.

Franchise gatekeepers are the worst.