US 2024 Presidential Election

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Easy peasey. You just need the will to get it all done.
Why does this same wishful thinking not apply to simply reducing our fossil fuel usage? Is that because one would actually effect you while the other you can safely memory hole as someone else's problem?

For someone who mentions your family a lot, you sure don't seem to care about the world you're leaving for your children and/or grandchildren...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not sure why you decided to quote wikipedia at me when it literally says what I've already told you, and provided various articles for. What exactly are you trying to tell me with this and why do you think it upholds anything you've previously said?

That's not what you were claiming earlier. Earlier you were talking about how it's a right innately granted by the constitution and could never be touched by the supreme court.

What the supreme court did in Roe V Wade is return the ability to decide abortion issues to the states. If the supreme court chose to (which I don't think they would) they could do the same thing to a lot of other rights, under the pretext of constitutional originality, limited government, and states rights. Then you would have completely different rights depending on what state you are currently in, like what women are having to deal with now after the overturning of Roe V Wade, and what gay people have had to deal with for decades. You would have little democratic or republican kingdoms making whatever laws they want.

I understand that as a straight white man it's not something that you've ever had to think about or deal with, but I am trying to get you to understand that it's something that no one should have to deal with. The fact that you are so flippant about this is because it doesn't affect you personally, but the moment it will affect you it will be too late.
Just agreeing with your point.

I've said that for most of the discussion about this with you and Silvanus. They could rule anything they want but they don't. Why worry about stuff that isn't gonna happen? Like say Project 2025...

There's nothing in the constitution that protects abortion, it was a legal nonsense 50 years ago. Maybe you can make a different argument (other than the privacy argument that made no sense) that ties abortion to a constitutional right, but I'd doubt it. Hence, you can just make a law about abortion. Not everything is protected by the constitution and that's fine because you can legislate it if you want. Just like I think the government influences social media companies on what to censor is a freedom of speech issue, it sidesteps the 1st amendment and there's no protection there.

I am In Seattle, WA.

And given how insanely toxic the political opinions are here, and how much people seem to hate Republicans, I really am unsure if my vote will matter
Then, you can feel fine voting for a 3rd party (if you like a 3rd party candidate the most obviously) because if they get enough votes, they will then get a ton of government campaign funding for the next election.

RFMA simply factually doesn't do the same thing. It doesn't ensure that states cannot ban it, which is what Obergefell does. You can argue the different provisions in the RFMA are sufficient all you want, but that's not what we're discussing.

? I don't even understand what point you're trying to make here.

You tried to draw a parallel between same-sex marriage being overturned, and slavery being relegalised. I pointed out that very different factors are at play for those two issues. This waffle-sentence of yours doesn't address that.
It would just inconvenience some people by making them travel to a different state (if their state bans it) to get married. Gay people would still be able to get married.

Ok, say it's a really simple case like a traffic ticket or even murder. You have incontrovertible evidence that you were going say 34mph in a 35mph zone or for the murder, have incontrovertible evidence that you were on the other side of the country during the murder. Now let's say both of those cases, the judge says you're guilty. Wouldn't that make people/public very much doubt the credibility of the courts then? Wouldn't the Supreme Court reversing say slavery do the very same thing? It's a credibility issue if the SCOTUS rules against basic protections that are in the constitution.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It would just inconvenience some people by making them travel to a different state (if their state bans it) to get married. Gay people would still be able to get married.
Yet again: not interested in your opinion about whether the different provisions in the RFMA would be sufficient. That's not what we're discussing.

This is just another way for you to argue it doesn't matter if Obergefell is overturned, which is an irrelevance to our discussion.

Ok, say it's a really simple case like a traffic ticket or even murder. You have incontrovertible evidence that you were going say 34mph in a 35mph zone or for the murder, have incontrovertible evidence that you were on the other side of the country during the murder. Now let's say both of those cases, the judge says you're guilty. Wouldn't that make people/public very much doubt the credibility of the courts then? Wouldn't the Supreme Court reversing say slavery do the very same thing? It's a credibility issue if the SCOTUS rules against basic protections that are in the constitution.
....you realise that's my point, right? These credibility/reputational aspects would prevent the SCOTUS relegalising slavery. The same factors do not apply with same-sex marriage.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It can require man made energy. But if you dump a few 100 billion gallons of salt water into the Sahara, it will evaporate, form clouds and come back down as mostly drinkable fresh rain. I'd think this process will form large salt deposits which can be mined and shipped, even for commercial use. Easy peasey. You just need the will to get it all done.

Or, metaphorically speaking, ram a cork up your butt forever.
Have you ever heard the phrase "salt the earth"?

In ancient times after conquering an enemy they especially hated the invading force would salt the ground in the area to make sure that no one could live there again because when you salt the ground plants don't grow and crops will fail.

Excess salinity in soil prevents plant growth and your solution to growing plants in the Sahara is to add salt?

Rather than your butt you should consider ramming a cork in your mouth to stop yourself from talking nonsense.

Edit: This is literally the joke from Idiocracy where they started using gatorade to water plants because it has "electrolytes" and all the plants died because electrolytes are salt.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yet again: not interested in your opinion about whether the different provisions in the RFMA would be sufficient. That's not what we're discussing.

This is just another way for you to argue it doesn't matter if Obergefell is overturned, which is an irrelevance to our discussion.

....you realise that's my point, right? These credibility/reputational aspects would prevent the SCOTUS relegalising slavery. The same factors do not apply with same-sex marriage.
Again, I already said I still stand by that it's not gonna get overturned. I'm just saying worse case scenario IF it did, gay people could still get married so why is this such a big issue?

So you are just arguing semantics at this point, which I asked several posts ago...

You're saying that stuff like impartiality and credibility will make it so they don't batshit rulings; however, one of the things that is tied to credibility is the constitution that you say doesn't prevent them from ruling how they want. It's illogical to say they don't make batshit rulings because of a credibility while then saying the constitution (which is directly linked to credibility) doesn't prevent them from making batshit rulings.

No: my claim from the start has been that the Constitution doesn't prevent them from ruling how they want.

They have other considerations, such as the perception of impartiality and credibility, to consider. Those considerations mean they won't make completely batshit rulings like re-legalising slavery. But same-sex marriage? That's far less contentious-- and four of those very same justices already voted against.
It just seems like you are arguing just to argue or some semantics issue at this point. The law of the land saying XYZ (e.g. you can't have slaves) and the justices reversing XYZ is not a credibility consideration?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Again, I already said I still stand by that it's not gonna get overturned. I'm just saying worse case scenario IF it did, gay people could still get married so why is this such a big issue?
Went from "it can't happen" to "it won't happen" to "even if it happens it doesn't matter." It may not matter to YOU, but it matters to plenty of other people. You just can't imagine that something is important unless it affects you directly. I mean hell, you once said (possibly even in this very thread) that you would never live in Illinois again just because you had a bad experience with the DMV there. What you think is important is clearly on a sliding scale that's directly correlated with whether you are personally affected.

You're saying that stuff like impartiality and credibility will make it so they don't batshit rulings; however, one of the things that is tied to credibility is the constitution that you say doesn't prevent them from ruling how they want. It's illogical to say they don't make batshit rulings because of a credibility while then saying the constitution (which is directly linked to credibility) doesn't prevent them from making batshit rulings.
Haven't you have claimed that Roe v Wade was a "batshit" ruling with no credibility and no constitutional protection? Weird that the supreme court made that decision and it was in place for over 50 years and withstood many challenges, and yet you think they can't make any other "batshit" decisions because it would be bad for their credibility.

Which is it then? You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth claiming that Roe V Wade hurt the court's credibility while simultaneously saying that the court wouldn't make any decisions that would hurt their credibility.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly: the fourteenth amendment is far, far more explicit and specific in banning slavery than anything that could be construed as protecting same-sex marriage. The exact parts of the constitution that you're arguing protect same-sex marriage... were not written to protect it, don't mention it, and factually didn't cover it for 200 years. And four current Supreme Court justices explicitly said they don't think it covers it.

Secondly: the Constitution is far from the most important factor when we're discussing reputation/credibility anyway. The status of the issue to the American public, and the positions of the two primary parties, matter a lot more. Same-sex marriage is on much shakier ground.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Why does this same wishful thinking not apply to simply reducing our fossil fuel usage? Is that because one would actually effect you while the other you can safely memory hole as someone else's problem?

For someone who mentions your family a lot, you sure don't seem to care about the world you're leaving for your children and/or grandchildren...
Well, I certainly don't want them to metaphorically speaking, have to live with a cork rammed up their butts. Forever.

Interesting that the same types of people that want a "shortages" market place are pushing "solutions" that make us poorer and less free rather than work on things that will make us wealthier, safer and freer.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
You might as well say that the solution to global warming is for all of us to move to Mars, or maybe putting jet engines on the planet Earth to move it further away from the sun.
I'd be curious in a "This needs to be an XKCD What If?" sense if we got all the munitions on Earth including nuclear, put them in one place and blew everything simultaneously if that would provide enough of a push to measurably change the Earth's orbit. Like surely we have a *lot* of delta-V in explosives, but the Earth is massive, it's kinda like the one What If involving ridiculously large doses of neutrinos.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'd be curious in a "This needs to be an XKCD What If?" sense if we got all the munitions on Earth including nuclear, put them in one place and blew everything simultaneously if that would provide enough of a push to measurably change the Earth's orbit. Like surely we have a *lot* of delta-V in explosives, but the Earth is massive, it's kinda like the one What If involving ridiculously large doses of neutrinos.
The reason I mentioned that example is that it's the plot of The Wandering Earth.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well, I certainly don't want them to metaphorically speaking, have to live with a cork rammed up their butts. Forever.

Interesting that the same types of people that want a "shortages" market place are pushing "solutions" that make us poorer and less free rather than work on things that will make us wealthier, safer and freer.
What the fuck is a "shortages marketplace?"

You mean capitalism, which works on limiting supply to increase demand and therefore prices?

And what is your obsession with putting corks up people's butts?

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I've found various answers to this question, but the general gist of them is 'haha, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo'. Lowest educated estimate on the energy required I've found is 1.8×10 to the power of 25 joules. That's many, many times the energy of the entire planets nuclear arsenal combined, or the total energy the Sun puts out in like ~0.05 seconds. And that would supposedly still only change Earth's velocity by one micron per second.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Imagine a world where OPEC was irrelevant. Electrifying transportation worldwide would enable that. Wouldn't that be a wealthier, safer and more free world?

But of course, electric car can't go "vroom vroom" and make girlies drop their panties, so that's a no-go.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Trump Media & Technology Group Corp.’s stock fell nearly 3% Wednesday, after a CNBC survey found economists, fund managers and investment strategists expect Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic presidential nominee, to prevail in the November presidential election over Republican nominee Donald Trump.
Essentially, currently polling, across the spectrum has declared Harris the front runner in Pennsylvania and that North Carolina is a toss up.

The market is now siding with Harris.

I think it really just boils down to Harris having formed an agenda for her tenure that focuses on boosting the lower middle class, squeezing corporations, and Trump is raving about WWIII.

The sad part is that I think Trump could win this pretty easily if he presented some kind of comprehensible gameplan. It would be as easy just saying "I will direct DHS to eliminate these [whatever] immigration programs, eliminate the H1B visa. Cut of all foreign military aid, etc.".

Because at the heart of it people still are dumb fucking sheep that think

turk-took.gif

Instead he rants about people eating dogs and says "WERE GONNA DO THINGS".

People are fucking idiots, but they need more than vague miracles.

Harris is winning the very basic "I know what Im doing" race.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
And Trump can't deliver that, because his entire spiel boils down to "everything will be better when I'm President, because I'll be President".
Idk thats even true. Lately its "AMERICA WILL CEASE TO EXIST IF I LOSE. WWIII, END OF THE WORLD, HOUSE OF THE DRAGON WILL BE CANCELLED WITHOUT CLOSURE." literally in all caps.

I think hes so desperate at this point just being a better president isn't enough hes gone catholic church fire & brimstone to try to rile people up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Have you ever heard the phrase "salt the earth"?

In ancient times after conquering an enemy they especially hated the invading force would salt the ground in the area to make sure that no one could live there again because when you salt the ground plants don't grow and crops will fail.

Excess salinity in soil prevents plant growth and your solution to growing plants in the Sahara is to add salt?
While salinity does do that to plants (in an interesting way, IMHO), salting the Earth was probably more ceremonial than actual, because getting enough salt to adequately cover any amount of farmland would be a hell of a task.

Though not merely as much as using saltwater to make the Sahara into a jungle to avoid reducing use of fossil fuels, of course.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
What the fuck is a "shortages marketplace?"

You mean capitalism, which works on limiting supply to increase demand and therefore prices?

And what is your obsession with putting corks up people's butts?
Rogue Wolf below gets it a little better.

Good movie:
Imagine a world where OPEC was irrelevant. Electrifying transportation worldwide would enable that. Wouldn't that be a wealthier, safer and more free world?

But of course, electric car can't go "vroom vroom" and make girlies drop their panties, so that's a no-go.
Getting there will be the problem. And I don't want to shut OPEC out. Just that they have to be in the oil business, rather than the oil shortage business. That can be a tall order.