General Gaming News.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
There was no AI, that was the point, you made the AI. As far as action RPG, I wouldn't classify any of them as such, DA:I was still an RPG, just not a very good one. But it was a far vary from something like say the last FF, dark soul or darksider.
I would argue the console versions at least of DragonAge II and Inquisition were action RPGs: you're still doing all the roleplay and despite it being very linear, assigning stats and talents but the combat in a moment to moment basis is much more free flowing and kinetic than Origins which by design erred more towards what I'd associate with RTS games with position and action management.

II and Inquisition are not pure action games sure but they have at least a boot fairly in the action camp.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I would argue the console versions at least of DragonAge II and Inquisition were action RPGs: you're still doing all the roleplay and despite it being very linear, assigning stats and talents but the combat in a moment to moment basis is much more free flowing and kinetic than Origins which by design erred more towards what I'd associate with RTS games with position and action management.

II and Inquisition are not pure action games sure but they have at least a boot fairly in the action camp.
Yeah they definitely were Arpgs, especially 2. Origins was like real time with pause games basically. I played em all on ps3/4 and especially in 2 you had to play the most without pause and it felt like an action game, which was actually my biggest issue with the game.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah they definitely were Arpgs, especially 2. Origins was like real time with pause games basically. I played em all on ps3/4 and especially in 2 you had to play the most without pause and it felt like an action game, which was actually my biggest issue with the game.
Conversely for me, DAII was the only one I was able to play between the (then) two of them because I found Origins utterly insufferable. Seriously it was like WoW except its talent trees sucked and the global cool down was three times longer. Preference, ain't she a *****.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Not really. Regular attack were still on cooldown, you couldn't mash an attack button to attack multiple time in a row, you would select a target and the character would auto attack. There was no parry/block or anything like that, nor dodge as a regular ability (iirc the thief had a dodge like ability but on a long CD). There was a global cooldown whenever ability where used. Gameplay wise its almost identical to origin, the only difference was the combo system (freeze then blunt and stuff) and a bigger focus on wave of weak enemy, with lots of reinforcement mid fight and bit of a de emphasis on healing.

Reactions: bluegate

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Conversely for me, DAII was the only one I was able to play between the (then) two of them because I found Origins utterly insufferable. Seriously it was like WoW except its talent trees sucked and the global cool down was three times longer. Preference, ain't she a *****.
I never played WoW so the game I likened it to was ffxii due to the programmable AI behaviors you could set up. But yeah my main issue with 2 was more that it didn't feel like a DA game to play, not that it was actually a bad game. Like if I order a pizza and the waiter brings me pasta. I love pasta, but I ordered a damn pizza here.

Not really. Regular attack were still on cooldown, you couldn't mash an attack button to attack multiple time in a row, you would select a target and the character would auto attack. There was no parry/block or anything like that, nor dodge as a regular ability (iirc the thief had a dodge like ability but on a long CD). There was a global cooldown whenever ability where used. Gameplay wise its almost identical to origin, the only difference was the combo system (freeze then blunt and stuff) and a bigger focus on wave of weak enemy, with lots of reinforcement mid fight and bit of a de emphasis on healing.
There was blocking, but it was like a % thing that happened automatically, not like you using a skill that functions as a block/parry type deal. Also the spell combos in origins were a lot better and more massive it felt like. Mages in general were so much stronger, which makes sense cause when the game becomes actiony mages have to actually use their pathetic basic attacks a hell of a lot more.

Talking of gameplay, one things in Origins I missed the most from the sequels was the glory kills. You would get these cinematic kill animations when killing with a regular autoattack once in a while, and they had a lot of variety to them, including ones only doable against dragons which you'd very rarely see.

In fact, one such animation is the most memorable DA moment in my whole time with the series. You know where you can pour the blood on the ashes of Andraste to unlock the bloodrager advanced class? Well, if you do that with Leliana in the party she will automatically attack you, and my MC's behaviors were such that he automatically engaged her before I even knew what was happening and he 1-shot-decapitated her with one such killcam animation. I bet not many DA players can say they decapitated Leliana, even if it was on accident. Talk about losing your head over a perceived slight, sheesh.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Not really. Regular attack were still on cooldown, you couldn't mash an attack button to attack multiple time in a row, you would select a target and the character would auto attack.
For DragonAge II On PC that is true, on console however, that function was for some reason not implemented. You actually did have to mash the attack button to get Hawke to attack, they wouldn't stand there and do it for you. And Inquisition played the same way, across all platforms.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
For DragonAge II On PC that is true, on console however, that function was for some reason not implemented. You actually did have to mash the attack button to get Hawke to attack, they wouldn't stand there and do it for you. And Inquisition played the same way, across all platforms.
I believe in inquisition on ps4 you just held down like R2 or something for the basic attack, you didn't have to mash like in 2. But yeah the mashing to basic attack is what made it feel like an action game.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Paid DLC + free update for Blasphemous II this Halloween:

I don't know if 2 new bosses/2 new areas is worth the $12 - basically half the value of the base game - but I've been irresponsible with money before.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
One price gouger on eBay tried to get ahead of the curve on September 22. Their listing sought $9,999.00 for an “attempt to buy” the PS5 Pro bundle. No guaranteed console, merely an attempt to get the goods.

Hours later, the listing was pulled from eBay as it went against eBay’s User Agreement policies.
Well at least eBay has some common sense for now. I'm sure this is alll gonna change when the scalpers actually have the consoles

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Soul Reaver remaster is nice, I loved those games back in the day.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Okay, this isn't like Ubisoft; Don't they usually showcase their games regardless of the public reception, due to their pompous arrogant nature?

Maybe I am going in too deep about this, but I'm starting to think something weird is going on

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
So I am watching the state of play.

Dragon Age Veilguard. It looks alright. I previously commented how issuing commands to your party seems limited, but it looks like you can assign plenty of skills

Alan Wake 2, The Lake House Expansion. yeah, they are definitely going strong on connecting with Control

Legacy of Kain 1 & 2 Remastered. Okay, finally something cool. Although I can't tell if this is an actual remaster or one of those HD touh-ups. Still cool to see an classic game brought to recent machines.

Dynasty Warriors Origin. NGL, I wondering how many times they can recycling the same concept, but the sheer number of NPCs are impressive!

Monster Hunter Wilds.Wow, it continues to look amazing. Although I do think the storm/rain effects do make the game look murky. Also, I hope there's an option to turn off Palico voice, because as much as they are adorable, I am not listening to their voice through the whole game. Also the release date of 2/28/2025

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered confirmed.... FFS, Guerilla Games, you guys do not need to be like Naughty Dog.

Stellar Blade/Nier: Automata crossover. I guess it was bound to happen soon.

They are going hard for PS5 Pro; different chroma versions, some launch games w/ enhancements, ya da yada..... AANNDDD Ghost of Yoteim sequel to GoT???!!! Well at least PS5 Pro won't be a complete piece of shit. But it's not Jin Sakai... huh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ghost of Yoteim sequel to GoT???!!! Well at least PS5 Pro won't be a complete piece of shit. But it's not Jin Sakai... huh.
Sucker Punch wanted do something different and be in a new location. They didn't wanna a Breath of the Wild situation, so no Tsushima Island.

Let's go, Ghost of Yotei!

Reactions: FakeSympathy