Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Which is why I took such exception with The Wolfman. It feels like the type of movie where amidst all the talent, SOMEONE should have said something or bailed on their part, but no; everyone stuck it out and put their name on it. I guess if your resume is is broad and noteworthy enough, you can afford a stinker every now and again, but what a unicorn it is when several notable talents have their stinkers converge in a single film.
I guess there is a distinction to be made between films like Transformers where you have a stinker with A-listers, and movies like The Wolfman. The former you never expect to be good in the first place, and are assuming the actors are there just for a check. With the latter you see the list of names and go "no way this can't be good". One of the only films I can think of like that is The Counselor from 2014, which has an absolutely insane lineup even outside of acting: directed by Ridley Scott, written by Cormac McCarthy, starring Javier Bardem, Brad Pitt, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz and Michael Fassbender. I haven't seen it, but everything I've heard of it points to it being a genuine stinker.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Watched two Argentine movies:

Las hermanas fantásticas

Two half-sisters meet at their dad's not-quite-funeral (they're identifying the corpse at the morgue; the joke is they're unable to recognize him because he was wholly absent from their lives). They go occupy his penthouse in the corporately chic part of BA and discover millions of euros stashed behind a fake wall. It's probably filthy money, right? One of those faintly mafioso types from the wake is probably going to come knocking, right?

The actresses are funny and effectively embody a Fleabag-type of relationship as they bond and grow closer. But the plot is kind of a dud and never takes more than one step in any given direction - we never get the comedic wish-fulfilment part of suddenly having fuck you money outside of a single tepid shopping montage, nor does the paranoid thriller angle develop in a satisfying or believable way. It's a very small-minded, very unambitious (if cute) movie.

El jockey

Argentina's submission to the Oscars, apparently. I don't see it. It's basically an off brand Jim Jarmusch 90s movie, Dead Man by way of Ghost Dog: a brain-damaged race horse jockey wanders around modern BA in a furcoat, "hunted" (just as aimlessly) by the mafiosos he's unwittingly crossed. It's farcical, surreal and technically funny. New Age enlightenment & transcendentalism vs. greedy materialism, go!

Sometimes the characters float, sometimes they dance, sometimes they comment on their role in the movie. The mafia boss looks like Videla and carries a different baby in every scene, a comment on The Dictatorship from the 70s (the comment: it happened), which is how you bait the Academy. Heres hoping!

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Best Texas Chainsaw movie in years.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Godzilla Minus One: Decent / Great

Heard a lot of the positive buzz, and was genuinely curious what makes for an "exceptional" Godzilla movie, and while this one doesn't disappoint, I'm not sure I get why it garnered the praise it did. Not bad by any stretch, just wholly unremarkable save for it being probably my favorite physical depiction of Godzilla in cinema yet. He felt truly menacing, lacking any of the antihero/tacit human sympathizer schtick he often gets relegated to; he was simply a dangerous animal. The human side of things felt really clunky, though; "incredible" in the very literal sense of the word insofar as I didn't believe most of what they experienced. But we needed heroes with a plan, and we got that, I guess.

Recommended if only for an awesome Godzilla monster that uniquely blends the concepts from the original 1950s version and one benefitting from modern CGI capabilities without sacrificing too much for the sheer spectacle of the latter.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Godzilla Minus One: Decent / Great

Heard a lot of the positive buzz, and was genuinely curious what makes for an "exceptional" Godzilla movie, and while this one doesn't disappoint, I'm not sure I get why it garnered the praise it did. Not bad by any stretch, just wholly unremarkable save for it being probably my favorite physical depiction of Godzilla in cinema yet. He felt truly menacing, lacking any of the antihero/tacit human sympathizer schtick he often gets relegated to; he was simply a dangerous animal. The human side of things felt really clunky, though; "incredible" in the very literal sense of the word insofar as I didn't believe most of what they experienced. But we needed heroes with a plan, and we got that, I guess.

Recommended if only for an awesome Godzilla monster that uniquely blends the concepts from the original 1950s version and one benefitting from modern CGI capabilities without sacrificing too much for the sheer spectacle of the latter.
I can say that for me, what made it great was its portrayal of PTSD through the main character, as well as emphasizing just how dehumanizing the war was in general towards the common soldiers and how much that messes with a man. Plus, as you pointed out, this is one of the cruelest versions of Godzilla.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I can say that for me, what made it great was its portrayal of PTSD through the main character, as well as emphasizing just how dehumanizing the war was in general towards the common soldiers and how much that messes with a man. Plus, as you pointed out, this is one of the cruelest versions of Godzilla.
I dunno, man, I don't think the drama was very convincing. I'll admit this, though, it might be a case of getting lost in translation. I often see this in subtitled movies where the words I'm reading and what the actors are emoting align in a awkward or cringe-worthy way, most often Chinese, Korean, or Japanese films. The premises are often fine, but when the intensity ratchets up, it looks like the actors are really hamming it up over the really basic dialogue I'm reading, and my only guess is that the translation is taking the piss from the gravity of what's actually being said in their native tongue.

Example, the big Korean film from a couple of years ago, Parasite; there's a scene where the husband and wife are getting intimate, and in a moment of passion, the wife says [per the subtitles] something along the lines of "will you buy me drugs?" That translation made the scene feel really silly and elementary, and it was hard enough to unsee that I couldn't take the rest of the film seriously, and was genuinely curious why it go so many award nods.

But that's me; I'm not a cinephile, so my opinions don't carry much weight beyond the space between my ears.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Absolutely fascinated by what I've heard about Joker 2. If I still got recommendations from YouTube, I'm sure I'd be seeing angry reactions and reviews all over the place.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Absolutely fascinated by what I've heard about Joker 2. If I still got recommendations from YouTube, I'm sure I'd be seeing angry reactions and reviews all over the place.
You know, when I watched the first Joker I remarked in my review that it felt a bit like it's all setup, no punchline. I think now I have a pretty good idea of what the punchline is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just know. The ending is gonna either confused a bunch of people and make fans of the first movie super angry. The one review I did see from Birdman, Gavia C-.

You know, when I watched the first Joker I remarked in my review that it felt a bit like it's all setup, no punchline. I think now I have a pretty good idea of what the punchline is.
I honestly have no intention of ever watching the first movie ever again. It's fine, but it's pretty clear that the director of these movies really has nothing to say or thinks he does. I literally not like this man's works.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I didn't think the 1st movie was very good (great acting performance but everything else not so much). At least a musical (I heard it's a musical at least) will be interesting regardless if it's good or bad.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Watched The Substance

Demi Moore is the star of a workout show (they still make those?) who gets fired by the network on her 50th birthday ("At 50, it ends" says a repulsive exec played by Dennis Quaid). Demi gets in a car crash, escapes unscathed and a doctor hooks her up with a black market drug called MOVIE TITLE, which basically promises eternal youth. What it does is make you birth a young, hot(ter) version of yourself through a large gash on your back (see Alien: Covenant). While one version of the person is conscious, the other is unconscious and plugged to an IV food pack that's good for 7 days. There's a switch every 7 days, or else.

So Demi Moore births her younger self (Margaret Qualley, in everything these days), reclaims her old job under a new persona and all is well until the switcheroo system starts wearing thin on the older self, who essentially locks herself up and makes herself wait for every other week to actually live her life. So she starts cutting corners, like overstaying in one body, with mortifying body horror effects, which creates tension between the older and younger self (even though they're technically the same person). Every now and then Demi calls a hotline asking for help, complaining about The Other, and she's always reminded that "You're the same" and in control.

The movie's been compared to the world of Cronenberg, Carpenter, Lynch, Haneke. Ok, I definitely see Cronenberg, and maybe a bit of Carpenter, but frankly the movie ends up owing its biggest debt to those gross and cheesy Frank Hennenlotter movies from the 80s.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States