Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
This movie was amazing when it came out. At the time, we had very little to go on in the way of the super hero genre. We are so lucky we got what we got. Adults who were making movies at the time thought the Batman TV show was more or less what these movies should be like (and they slipped into that tone by Superman 3, 4 and Supergirl.) This had some camp, but in comparison, it was a pretty straight up super hero movie.

I do wish some random act had not freed the trio but some kind of distortion caused by Superman in 1 when he changed time, even though his dad told him it was forbidden. There should have been a price to pay.

Another amusing thing: the Superman and 1980s and 90s Batman movies kept having villains more interesting than the hero. More recentlly, when you have heroes fighting heroes, its almost like they're having trouble making compelling villains (Thor the Dark World, the Mandarin, Shang Chi, etc.)

The Lois/Superman romance is vital to the movie. Without it, you don't have the diner scenes and the gravity of when (not in the 1st cut) Superman shows up and asks Zod if he'd care to step outside, which is one of my single favorite movie moments ever.

EDIT: And, yeah, what was that!?!?

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
This movie was amazing when it came out. At the time, we had very little to go on in the way of the super hero genre. We are so lucky we got what we got. Adults who were making movies at the time thought the Batman TV show was more or less what these movies should be like (and they slipped into that tone by Superman 3, 4 and Supergirl.) This had some camp, but in comparison, it was a pretty straight up super hero movie.

I do wish some random act had not freed the trio but some kind of distortion caused by Superman in 1 when he changed time, even though his dad told him it was forbidden. There should have been a price to pay.

Another amusing thing: the Superman and 1980s and 90s Batman movies kept having villains more interesting than the hero. More recentlly, when you have heroes fighting heroes, its almost like they're having trouble making compelling villains (Thor the Dark World, the Mandarin, Shang Chi, etc.)

The Lois/Superman romance is vital to the movie. Without it, you don't have the diner scenes and the gravity of when (not in the 1st cut) Superman shows up and asks Zod if he'd care to step outside, which is one of my single favorite movie moments ever.

EDIT: And, yeah, what was that!?!?

I agree that the romance was vital to the movie as it was written, my issue was with the writing making it as vital as it was. It just made it feel like Superman honestly felt like his feelings for Lois were more important than literally anyone else's protection, which didn't really sit right with me.