Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The weird thing to me about this film is how much it tries to undermine the first film. I wonder how much of this project was meant to erase the weird propagandists backlash the first film got, about inciting violence and all that bullshit.

So they spend the whole time sort of trying to undo that film while also trying to play off the origins of these characters. The Joker was a great, unique and compelling origin story for the Joker that I dont think has been done. And they try to do it again this time, not only for Joker again but also Harley Quinn.

While there is an interesting potential in twisting Harley into this demon that sort of pushes the Joker further. Ultimately I don't think it works. Partly because I'm annoyed at the "modern day bulkshit" of it in that they cannot possibly allow a woman to be a victim to a man's manipulation. But also like most attempts at making "Girl bosses", her new role completely undermined everything Arthur was in the first film and continues to undermine his potential agency in this film. It turns the Joker from his own character into a manipulated puppet of her's. It's a role reversal that isn't done well and also doesnt really fit based off the events of the first film.

And again I feel like this whole this was meant to be an apology to the Twitter weirdos who tried to call the first Joker film as some sort of extremism film.

As a result not only is this film bad, but it actively works to ruin the first one.
That's what the youtubers are saying. It's an apology for people regarding those that liked the 1st one when the professional classes did not want us to do so.
I thought the 1st one only OK. It was a mashup of 2 better films, Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy so, no real surprises there for me until I started talking with others regarding how unreliable the narrator was in that film.
Mostly, I'm hearing it was an unbelievable bore that seems to have been made for no one, pleasing no one.
1728141257779.png

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Just saw the first Ip Man for the first time this morning. Just a good little film with a couple fun fights. Simple movie. And China even looses in the film which is rare for a Chinese movie.

Might watch the rest later.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Just saw the first Ip Man for the first time this morning. Just a good little film with a couple fun fights. Simple movie. And China even looses in the film which is rare for a Chinese movie.

Might watch the rest later.
Fair warning if I recall Ip mans politics get a little cringey as the series goes on, imho the first one is great but the next two go into Rocky sequel territory. I forget what it was specifically but I remember at a certain point thinking "Man...I don't think Im on the same page here", and the third ones pretty goofy. That said I don't recall feeling cheated. It remains "fun" through the series.

I think theres just 3 in this series, then theres a sorta reboot by a different company.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
"Am I Racist" in theater.

This is being described as a politically conservative Borat. Matt Walsh, who made the less successful "What is a Woman" has created a pretty funny documentary in which he goes on a DEI journey becoming certified, to doing interviews with some pretty famous personalities, to doing his own hilarious seminar. The artwork he uses in that seminar is worth the price of admission.

I hear some of the interviewees are considering lawsuits :)

B+

Interestingly, the establishment initially tried to ignore this movie. It was number 4 in its opening week and there weren't enough critics reviewing the number 4 movie in the nation to register on Rotten Tomatoes. Since then, it is up to 77% fresh. It is funny.
Pig (2021)

Sort of a pacifist John Wick, starring Nic Cage.
On Hulu around here. Will check it out.,

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The weird thing to me about this film is how much it tries to undermine the first film. I wonder how much of this project was meant to erase the weird propagandists backlash the first film got, about inciting violence and all that bullshit.

So they spend the whole time sort of trying to undo that film while also trying to play off the origins of these characters. The Joker was a great, unique and compelling origin story for the Joker that I dont think has been done. And they try to do it again this time, not only for Joker again but also Harley Quinn.

While there is an interesting potential in twisting Harley into this demon that sort of pushes the Joker further. Ultimately I don't think it works. Partly because I'm annoyed at the "modern day bulkshit" of it in that they cannot possibly allow a woman to be a victim to a man's manipulation. But also like most attempts at making "Girl bosses", her new role completely undermined everything Arthur was in the first film and continues to undermine his potential agency in this film. It turns the Joker from his own character into a manipulated puppet of her's. It's a role reversal that isn't done well and also doesnt really fit based off the events of the first film.

And again I feel like this whole this was meant to be an apology to the Twitter weirdos who tried to call the first Joker film as some sort of extremism film.

As a result not only is this film bad, but it actively works to ruin the first one.
Eh. I think it just calls attention to the fact that the first one wasn't that great either. Like, even at the end of the first one, you couldn't really see Arthur growing into the sort of Joker who makes a name for himself in the criminal underworld, organizes elaborate crimes or terrorist attacks and would be a worthy adversary to Batman.

All this and the general reception of the second movie suggests to me is that these should have never been official Joker movies.

If they had been their own standalone productions people and critics would have been like "Hey, the Hangover guy made those cool, gritty 70's style psychological dramas about a schizophrenic guy who becomes a spree killer, develops a cult of personality and gets shanked in prison." But being attached to a preexisting character in a preexisting setting people will always just be like "The Hangover guy made this kind of cool Joker origin story movie and then shat all over it with a weird pretentious sequel where the Joker gets raped."

All of which just feels to me like Phillips couldn't read the room and insisted on trying to cram a story into a preexisting property that just didn't really fit in there.

If it would have been it's own thing it wouldn't have gotten the publicity it has but it would have been warmly received by critics, probably found a niche audience and the sequel wouldn't have gotten any significant backlash because people wouldn't have perceived it as a popular character being humiliated but just as a bleak end to the bleak story of a guy who had a shitty life and gave into violence and who was pretty obviously doomed from the start

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
All of which just feels to me like Phillips couldn't read the room and insisted on trying to cram a story into a preexisting property that just didn't really fit in there.
Supposedly this commonly happens when a creator wants to make their own story, and they are told to use an existing IP with brand recognition, and it turns out that half a car and half a horse don't travel very well.