General Gaming News.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Who the fuck is this nobody?
He wrote the 5.9 review for IGN back when people still read reviews. Only one year after the Colonial Marines failure, he likely was part of the reason it didn't get a sequel. Only getting a sequel now because of the new movie and Sega's interest in bringing back IPs following the success of Streets 4. That's why it's only in early development.

Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within that year might be the last games I ever pre-ordered. Didn't care about Colonial Marines even before it was released.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Now, there's been some questionable remakes/remasters/reskins in the last couple of years, but I can't say I've seen one this horrendous. Sure, the GTA trilogy was bad, but that mainly felt due to lack of effort. This Until Dawn remake it's like they actively put effort into making it look worse in every possible way.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
He wrote the 5.9 review for IGN back when people still read reviews. Only one year after the Colonial Marines failure, he likely was part of the reason it didn't get a sequel. Only getting a sequel now because of the new movie and Sega's interest in bringing back IPs following the success of Streets 4. That's why it's only in early development.
So just another ex-goon of IGN barely anyone remembers. Isolation I wouldn't give a 5-6, and more of a 7, but it really needed to get rid of all that padding. That said the game didn't interest me much after one play through. I hope the sequel works on that and doesn't do the working joe's thing again, and don't make the Xenos too invincible.

Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within that year might be the last games I ever pre-ordered. Didn't care about Colonial Marines even before it was released.
I pre ordered the second Evil Within. At the time when the first game came out, I didn't have a PS4, until the next year during the summer.

Now, there's been some questionable remakes/remasters/reskins in the last couple of years, but I can't say I've seen one this horrendous. Sure, the GTA trilogy was bad, but that mainly felt due to lack of effort. This Until Dawn remake it's like they actively put effort into making it look worse in every possible way.

Fuck off Sony.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
So just another ex-goon of IGN barely anyone remembers. Isolation I wouldn't give a 5-6, and more of a 7, but it really needed to get rid of all that padding. That said the game didn't interest me much after one play through. I hope the sequel works on that and doesn't do the working joe's thing again, and don't make the Xenos too invincible.
Make them costly and dangerous to destroy, with flying acid instantly killing you (or causing decompression, depending on where you are), the sounds (unless in vacuum of space) drawing others and precious resources depleted. Could use the environment as well. Crusher presses, molting factories, raised containers...

Put in some decent human AI. The were dumb, shooting at you even with the alien around.

Add full VR support.

There's a mountain of issues I have with the game, but I wanted a sequel ten years ago and still want one now. Wish they'd replace Amanda Ripley, because that story was crappy.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Oh Yes, IGN got so much flame that year. Here are some samples of their reviews. Keep in mind this was back when they used give decimal points to the scores

Alien: Isolation: 5.9/10, "con: Frustrating AI"
Pokemon ORAS 7.8/10, "con: too much water"
COD: AW 9.1/10. "pro: Great Maps and Modes"
Goat Simulator 8/10, "pro: Jetpack Goat!"
Valiant Hearts: The Great War 7.7/10 "con: Intrusive History"
Madden 2015, 8.7/10, "pro: Great Graphics"

And so on. Granted. they did give fair reviews to most of the games that year, but just these few alone (especially for AI and Pokemon) I feel this was the year when their credibility as reviewers got stained. I personally got pissed off on their Valiant Hearts review; The whole game's point is TO TEACH HISTORY INTERACTIVE WAY. WTF did you guys expect? if anything, all those historical facts mentioned in the game were fascinating.

I think the next time they got major flack was when they gave TLOU2 a 10/10 score. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were one of the head instigators who started the flame war and kept adding fuel to the fire

Last edited:

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
  1. Their new name "Halo Studios" indicates that no other studio will lead the development of future Halo games.
  2. Their arrogance is sickening. It's as if they are arguing that they are the only ones skilled enough to create the next Halo games
  3. And they'll probably keep the same design philosophy of Halo Infinite
Personally I was more reminded of when Maxis, a studio with veneration behind it, got to see their work replaced by The Sims Studio. It felt like going from a force for some actual creativity to a factory, made to churn out additional expansion packs.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

I was gonna say kudos to Bethesda for actually acknowledging how disappointing the dlc is, but then the guys name, Emil Pagliarulo, sounded familiar. Turns out this was the guy who went on a long rant in twitter last year when people criticized Starfield

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

No fucking way they are actually trying to bring back Concord.

I mean there is that 1/n chance of an FF14: ARR miracle here, but as we know those are rare occasions.