TLOU2 Review Thread

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Oh it's only right wingers and Chuds who don't like dark and gritty?

Has anyone told Moviebob?

Or has anyone told all the people who dislike the DCEU films by Zack Snyder?
Moviebob was also a Nintendo fan and Reggie once said how Nintendo doesn't do politics or current issues.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Moviebob was also a Nintendo fan and Reggie once said how Nintendo doesn't do politics or current issues.

3.3 user rating on metacritic. You can't really blame fans for being jaded and upset about this I guess. Actually I see most people aren't even complaining about it being an SJW game at all. They are genuinely just annoyed that the story is trash.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020

3.3 user rating on metacritic. You can't really blame fans for being jaded and upset about this I guess. Actually I see most people aren't even complaining about it being an SJW game at all. They are genuinely just annoyed that the story is trash.
To nobody's surprise. What do you it was gonna happen?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Could it not possibly be that the actual reason they were mad at the game were the reason to be mad at it and knowing that diversity characters and inclusion would likely be used to shield it from any criticism or downplay criticisms of it. E.G. How James Rofle (AVGN) saying he wouldn't go to see Ghostbusters 2016 caused a load of publications to throw hissy fits calling him a woman hater and mocking him because he said basically "The trailers look bad, there's a lot of controversy round this I have no interest in seeing it or taking part in the nonsense controversy that will happen round reviews". It's happened a lot of places. People mostly weren't mad American Chavez was made to be a Latino a Lesbian from the Utopian Lesbian dimension, they were annoyed she was written so badly and her powers just often being whatever powers were needed to save the day even if she never had those powers or used them before E.G. her power to punch through time itself.
No, because these same people got mad over the third trailer that saw Ellie kissing a girl. When nothing about that trailer hinted at the eventually quality. The kiss even makes perfect sense within that moment as a confidence boaster. But it was gay, therefore hatred and agenda pushing. The narrative from then onward wasn't 'oh no, they'll use diversity as a hield to put down critics', it was 'pandering to SJW's, it'll ruin the game'. Guess what, gays in the narrative didn't ruin the game, bad narrative in the narrative ruined the game.

Even in Pat's stream of the game at Pat Stares At, him and Paige were kind of overwhelmed by the amount of transphobia going on in the chat. The shitty thing is that these toxic channels will use the public turning on TLoU2 as proof they were right about their "SJW" boogey men, instead of it simply being people hating the game because it's bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyrobot

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I’m wondering about how legitimate most of these user reviews are though. Are all these people from the Eastern hemisphere and played without sleep? Because by most accounts this is a 20-30 hour game and it’s only even been out for what, 15 or so hours now? With the way the story supposedly jumps around it seems like their opinions could be lined with a certain amount of assumption, and - once again due to the controversy that will never escape this game - this is a lot of hastily thrown together backlash now that the metacritic gate has lifted.

A few reviews specifically said it was a slog to play through for various reasons but that the bigger picture at least made sense by the end.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I’m wondering about how legitimate most of these user reviews are though. Are all these people from the Eastern hemisphere and played without sleep? Because by most accounts this is a 20-30 hour game and it’s only even been out for what, 15 or so hours now? With the way the story jumps around it seems like their opinions could be lined with a certain amount of assumption, and - once again due to then controversy that will never escape this game - this is a lot of hastily thrown together backlash now that the metacritic gate has lifted.

A few reviews specifically said it was a slog to play through for various reasons but that it at least made sense by the end.
My playthrough took about 14 hours. So I dunno where people got this 20-30 hours from. Maybe if you explore and die a bunch.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Guess what, gays in the narrative didn't ruin the game, bad narrative in the narrative ruined the game.
Seems that there's a correlation between people using games as tools for ideology, and how 'good' a game is. While it in itself may not 'ruin' the game, there's a high chance of the game ending up 'ruined' anyway.

It's a big red flag, essentially.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Seems that there's a correlation between people using games as tools for ideology, and how 'good' a game is. While it in itself may not 'ruin' the game, there's a high chance of the game ending up 'ruined' anyway.

It's a big red flag, essentially.
Much like how in the real world homosexuality is not a causer of problems but when a society is prosperous enough that reproduction is not considered important, homosexuality becomes more accepted but prosperity of that level soon leads to collapse.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Did you guys know the game gives you tutorial pop ups on the last fight of the game? As if the game expected you to learn nothing about playing it the entire time.

Also the ending is the worst ending to any game I've ever played. EVER.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
My playthrough took about 14 hours. So I dunno where people got this 20-30 hours from. Maybe if you explore and die a bunch.
Good, I’m glad it’s not that long because the sooner I can get back to finishing Ivaldi’s Curse in Niflheim the better. I’m really only in TLoU again for those sweet production values and to see for myself just how “justified” this whole story and everything surrounding it really is. I initially was going to wait til it was a PS+ sale but the damn controversy got the better of me.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I’m wondering about how legitimate most of these user reviews are though. Are all these people from the Eastern hemisphere and played without sleep? Because by most accounts this is a 20-30 hour game and it’s only even been out for what, 15 or so hours now? With the way the story supposedly jumps around it seems like their opinions could be lined with a certain amount of assumption, and - once again due to the controversy that will never escape this game - this is a lot of hastily thrown together backlash now that the metacritic gate has lifted.

A few reviews specifically said it was a slog to play through for various reasons but that the bigger picture at least made sense by the end.
Some people may have got a copy early if they preordered and already beaten the game. I got my copy of Persona 5 Royal 4 days earlier than I should of earlier this year.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Good, I’m glad it’s not that long because the sooner I can get back to finishing Ivaldi’s Curse in Niflheim the better. I’m really only in TLoU again for those sweet production values and to see for myself just how “justified” this whole story and everything surrounding it really is. I initially was going to wait til it was a PS+ sale but the damn controversy got the better of me.
Same thing happened to me with Death's Stranding. I knew it was bad and I got it anyway because I wanted to see for myself......rip.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So I saw an accusation that the writer Druckmann wrote a sex scene into the game so he could mo-cap it with a VA he likes? If true isn't that really...scummy? And a little rapey?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So I saw an accusation that the writer Druckmann wrote a sex scene into the game so he could mo-cap it with a VA he likes? If true isn't that really...scummy? And a little rapey?
Laura Bailey did just post on Twitter the following:

Laura Bailey

@LauraBaileyVO

·
44m

I can’t believe this even needs to be clarified. But at no point in the game did I film any scene with Neil. Everything I did was alongside phenomenally talented and professional actors. Play the game. THEN give your opinions. And if you still dont like it, that’s fine. Love you.

I think people are trying to over demonize Druckmann because they hate what he did with this game.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Did you guys know the game gives you tutorial pop ups on the last fight of the game? As if the game expected you to learn nothing about playing it the entire time.
Is that in response to you dying or just something the game does?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I could continue on with this discussion, and part of me still has the urge to, but I'm kinda done with it. I'm done poisoning my brain with this endless discussion, and I'm done poisoning my brain with TLoU2. I'm off to cleanse my mind with some simple games and some cartoons.

Maybe She-Ra.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, because these same people got mad over the third trailer that saw Ellie kissing a girl. When nothing about that trailer hinted at the eventually quality. The kiss even makes perfect sense within that moment as a confidence boaster. But it was gay, therefore hatred and agenda pushing. The narrative from then onward wasn't 'oh no, they'll use diversity as a hield to put down critics', it was 'pandering to SJW's, it'll ruin the game'. Guess what, gays in the narrative didn't ruin the game, bad narrative in the narrative ruined the game.

Even in Pat's stream of the game at Pat Stares At, him and Paige were kind of overwhelmed by the amount of transphobia going on in the chat. The shitty thing is that these toxic channels will use the public turning on TLoU2 as proof they were right about their "SJW" boogey men, instead of it simply being people hating the game because it's bad.

Thing is (and I say this as some-one who jokes about religion regularly and is very kind of militant atheist) the issue wasn't the trailer but the fact of how Sony dressed up the reveal. The trailer happened at E3 and the Sony press conference areana for that reveal was dressed and designed to be a church hall sort of area.

To me it felt like a more deliberate shot to have the reveal with a lesbian kiss be done in a church hall. As much as I applaud the "Getting one over on" people angle I can't help but acknowledge it felt like a petty jab. The kind of petty jab I'd make when I'm in the mood to cause trouble.

Also there is another angle and issue here. The relationship was front and centre for a lot of that trailer and little else. It wasn't normalisation it was fetishisation or a virtue Signal.

Also often people do use "SJW" elements as shield in properties with bad narratives E.G. America Chavez which I mentioned and I'm sure people will defend Season 2 of Black Sails despite it being done so ham fistedly that Season 3 was basically trying to apologise for it and walk it all back.

It's not the use of the elements themselves that's the issue.

Killjoys has Gay, Bi and lesbian characters and I'd consider it one of the best modern Sci-Fi shows. (Was SyFys highest rated show at the time)
The Magicians has Gay and Bi characters and while a bit trashy in terms of normal dialogue the overall plot and narrative is on point and works.
Carnival Row has Gay and Bi characters and again it works fine, it works very well in fact.

The issue is when it's being done in a poorly written narrative like say Mass Effect Andromeda with the Doctor whose face is tired and tells you she's trans within 5 minutes of meeting her.

Sometimes SJW writing is bad but it gets defended or even pushed because of that. People don't dare criticise it for fear of being called bigots or having a mob come for them and people framing criticism as being against the elements SJW types tend to care more about rather than the plot just being awful. I mean people were trying to frame SkillUp not liking the game as evidence he was pandering to the "Alt-right".

Does that mean when I wrote a review of the Indie game Aerannis and gave it high marks I was pandering to SJWs because the protagonist of that is Trans and a lesbian?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I could continue on with this discussion, and part of me still has the urge to, but I'm kinda done with it. I'm done poisoning my brain with this endless discussion, and I'm done poisoning my brain with TLoU2. I'm off to cleanse my mind with some simple games and some cartoons.

Maybe She-Ra.
Need recommendations for games or does your backlog got you covered?

Also I'm reading comments from the TLoU2 Reddit and holy crap people are pissed. And not in the "This game sucks!" and bounce way, people are writing paragraphs of text on how much and why they loathe this.

While it's bad form, I can't help feeling excited to see the attempts at justifications are going to be from the media and Naughty Dog with how much the players are not happy with this. It's petty of me but I haven't seen this big of a story mismanagement since ME3.

Last edited: