Shower Thoughts MK2

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If we perceive reality through faulty sense which are then stored in a faulty brain generating faulty memories that get altered as time goes on, can we ever really know what even is real?
Nope! One of the things to learn about life is that data isn't truth, it's our greatest approximation of truth, and that our sensory organs are only data-gathering machines.

Reactions: Kae

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I see you there with your hypno-cat shenanigans. Don't think I'm not on to you.
A shame, I thought you fancied yourself a Philosopher but tell me Specter, are you asking yourself the hard questions?
What makes us Human?
What is love?
What is reality?
Does God exist?
If so what is it's nature?
What is good?
What is evil?
Can the truth ever be known?
Why do I ask myself these questions?
Nope! One of the things to learn about life is that data isn't truth, it's our greatest approximation of truth, and that our sensory organs are only data-gathering machines.
Indeed, it's up to our feeble minds to interpret the meaning an effort proven futile by the fact that the meaning changes over time, meaning we're all basically insane and making up reality as we go along.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm going to make astrology a thousand times easier by introducing a new star sign. The Bees. Just go out at night and look up in any direction. If you can see stars, you are seeing the Bees. Those born under the sign of the Bees have the following characteristics:
  • Have emotions
  • Think thoughts
  • Can be introverted or extroverted
  • Know at least some people
  • Were born at some point

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm going to make astrology a thousand times easier by introducing a new star sign. The Bees. Just go out at night and look up in any direction. If you can see stars, you are seeing the Bees. Those born under the sign of the Bees have the following characteristics:
  • Have emotions
  • Think thoughts
  • Can be introverted or extroverted
  • Know at least some people
  • Were born at some point
No, NOT THE BEES!

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I had a dream and at one point in it I saw a bunch of guys chase a woman into a parking lot I was in and when I started to move in to try and get between them, one of them started talking in that kinda condescending was you see crime leaders sometimes do in movies and saying I should back off. While I was driving into work that day I thought about how if I ever end up in a bad neighborhood for some reason I'm probably going to get myself killed doing something like that.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I had a dream and at one point in it I saw a bunch of guys chase a woman into a parking lot I was in and when I started to move in to try and get between them, one of them started talking in that kinda condescending was you see crime leaders sometimes do in movies and saying I should back off. While I was driving into work that day I thought about how if I ever end up in a bad neighborhood for some reason I'm probably going to get myself killed doing something like that.
Lucky for you that's not how bad neighbourhoods actually are, it's unlikely you'd bump into crime just passing by, trust me I live in one of the most infamous neighbourhoods in a Mexican city with a very high crime rate and I haven't bumped into that situation in 2 years of living here (The rent is really cheap), so yeah even if you pass by one at night it's unlikely you'll see that, and I sometimes get home between 00 & 4AM so not even that late are you likely to witness it.

Ironically though, in a fairly OK neighbourhood I lived in back in 2009 I did get to witness a kidnapping, it was outside of the school in the parking lot, in broad daylight, me and a bunch of other dumb kids like me ran behind it but we couldn't catch it, the ones with cars didn't get to them on time to give chase, the car had no license plates either so we didn't even get that and that kind of white van was to common for the description to be useful, so we could do nothing other than feel really shitty, I didn't know the girl but we never heard from her again, as far as I know not even a corpse was found, but I moved shortly after, I'm always moving...

So you know, as if the guilt from that wasn't bad enough in 2013 when I was working at a pizzeria in an actually really "nice" neighbourhood, by which I mean in a mall in the rich-people area of the city, an 8 year old girl was snatched from her mother according to witnesses right in front of the pizzeria and I was there working, inside and I heard nothing, and I can't help but think all the time if I had been throwing out the garbage or sweeping the sidewalk or lowered the music so I could hear outside or just taking a quick break, you know I didn't go out to lunch that day, maybe if I had taken my break I could've done something, I had a car maybe I could have chased them or something, not that it would've helped, the police did chase them, and as if to add more insult to injury and make me feel more like shit the van crashed two blocks away from my house in a canal, the girl died, and I still think about it a lot, the knowledge that I can't save anyone thumping in my head, annoying me, reminding me that life sucks and there's nothing I can do to change that.

And so on, because since my life is but a joke I have more of these stories, haunting my thoughts and reminding that you can't do shit, I often wonder if getting killed would be better, at least I wouldn't have to deal with the guilt if I'm dead.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
because you don't like their sound?
K-Pop (as I think I've complained in this thread before) is just garbage music. There's no art about it. These "bands" are assembled by corporate suits in sweat shops that crank out formulaic "pop groups" that are essentially '90s American boy/girl bands, replete with those tacky-ass head-mounted microphones so their hands are free for all the flashing and flourishing they do in all their samey routines (because when they point at the camera, you know they're pointing at you, girl.)

BTS epitomizes everything I hate about K-Pop, and they've been everywhere I Iook recently. Ever since they dropped their only "all in English" song that's topping the charts everywhere, they've guest appeared on every show on television; people are eating them up, and I can't get away from them. What's sad is I think only one or two of the seven of them even SPEAK English, so it's evident someone cracked the whip and had them perform an English song purely to increase their appeal state-side, no artistic motivation about it. I suggested (facetiously) that they're making me racist towards Koreans because any culture that cultivates this kind of soulless, manufactured entertainment, and does so so rigidly, is an authoritarian one and I don't trust it because 'murica and freedom.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
K-Pop (as I think I've complained in this thread before) is just garbage music. There's no art about it. These "bands" are assembled by corporate suits in sweat shops that crank out formulaic "pop groups" that are essentially '90s American boy/girl bands, replete with those tacky-ass head-mounted microphones so their hands are free for all the flashing and flourishing they do in all their samey routines (because when they point at the camera, you know they're pointing at you, girl.)

BTS epitomizes everything I hate about K-Pop, and they've been everywhere I Iook recently. Ever since they dropped their only "all in English" song that's topping the charts everywhere, they've guest appeared on every show on television; people are eating them up, and I can't get away from them. What's sad is I think only one or two of the seven of them even SPEAK English, so it's evident someone cracked the whip and had them perform an English song purely to increase their appeal state-side, no artistic motivation about it. I suggested (facetiously) that they're making me racist towards Koreans because any culture that cultivates this kind of soulless, manufactured entertainment, and does so so rigidly, is an authoritarian one and I don't trust it because 'murica and freedom.
You should hear about J-Pop, holy fucking shit, there is precious little separating that industry from the Yakuza.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
General PSA for people not from the South. The word ma'am is not an insult. It's a generic term of respect for any woman of unknown marital status. So that we don't flub and offend a woman by saying Ms, or Miss, or Mrs, when they aren't of that category (which I've had happen before). So they are all just "ma'am" Women have it easy, because guys are always just Mr. no matter their relationship status. But women have like 5 different prefixes they might be using, and I'll be fucked if I'm going to try and suss that out in a random social encounter. So, ma'am it is.

I say this because I've seen women get pissed, and had women get pissed at me, for using that term, when we are complete strangers, as they assume I'm insulting them or something, when it's the exact opposite.

So there, you go, minor Southern etiquette lesson for you.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
why would you name a prestigous magic school as hog warts? warts on a hog is not what I would think of a secret magic school.
Maybe it's some kind reference to the "magical ingredients" witches in folklore used to brew potions. You know like eye of newt, toe of frog, bat's saliva or whatever. A hog's warts sounds like it'd fit in that line-up.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
2012 is just where the Mayan calendar ends. They couldn't get any further cuz the civilization was gone by that point.

Just when you think people couldn't get any dumber over superfluous stuff. Pat and Woolie talk about it in the video.

The Mayan calendar didn't actually end. It was a beautiful celebration and " rebirth" the calendar continues. :D
Also The Mayan calendar never actually said the world was going to end. Silly people. XD
In addition there are no reptilians living under the desert.

EDIT: THIS is where that ridiculous story came from:

Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?

A:
The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012 and linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice in 2012 - hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.

The Mayan connection "was a misconception from the very beginning," says Dr. John Carlson, director of the Center for Archaeoastronomy. "The Maya calendar did not end on Dec. 21, 2012, and there were no Maya prophecies foretelling the end of the world on that date."

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I am biologically incapable of not saying PUPPY! or KITTY! in my head, and sometimes out loud, any time I see either such animal. It's just not possible.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Mayan calendar didn't actually end. It was a beautiful celebration and " rebirth" the calendar continues. :D
Also The Mayan calendar never actually said the world was going to end. Silly people. XD
In addition there are no reptilians living under the desert.

EDIT: THIS is where that ridiculous story came from:

Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?

A:
The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012 and linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice in 2012 - hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.

The Mayan connection "was a misconception from the very beginning," says Dr. John Carlson, director of the Center for Archaeoastronomy. "The Maya calendar did not end on Dec. 21, 2012, and there were no Maya prophecies foretelling the end of the world on that date."
Good to know. Glad I never bought into the end of the world stuff. At least now I know that's how it got started.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I am biologically incapable of not saying PUPPY! or KITTY! in my head, and sometimes out loud, any time I see either such animal. It's just not possible.
You don't just automatically say" aww come here you little pretty kitty" when you see a kitten? I just can't imagine not living life like that.