Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
asinine?
Nah man I've been on the OW train since season 3 and the community shrank considerably. Streamers on twitch moved on, youtubers moved on to Valorant and other things, pro-scene is dead, matches take forever to go in, no more updates in preparation for OW 2... nope. To say OW is popular is asinine. BOOM. I just debunked you.

And regarding the diversity of characters? When the game launched there were 22 heroes. About 2/3 were white.
10 million active users. The game is still popular on Twitch, it's tied with R6 Siege currently. Are you saying R6 Siege is not a popular game as well? The pro-scene doesn't really mean much for overall popularity, it's less than 1% of the community. You sound like one of those Youtube videos that declares a game dead just because it's not as popular as it once was.

And if games over the years had 1/3 of all protagonists that weren't white (and male), there would be no complaints from the EssJayDubyas about diversity.

- But do political games ever succeed?
Disco Elysium!!!

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Just going to put it out there. Solo was a deliberate attempt to reserve the 'Go Woke, Go Broke' thing. It was the least progressive thing Disney put out in a long time. Did it work? Nope

But thanks for showing us how Cherry Picking works. Because things like Black Panther, Spiderverse, Captain Marvel and Endgame were all very woke. And didnt make them go broke
Ironically, Solo is my second favorite "so you just want to watch a fun Star War" movie.
I didn't watch Solo so ok, idk. You don't need to shove successful stuff in my face and tell me this is wrong, though. You can shove this stuff a lot, sometimes even under the radar (Korra ending, cut kiss). This doesn't invalidate the phrase, nor the backlash these brands get when they go too far. This is what it's about in the end. They went too far, shoved it in our faces, and got hit in the wallet. No amount of telling me "lol cherry picking" would change that Gillette go screwed after it went woke.
Jordan was right. Republicans buy sneakers. This is a natural response, nothing sinister to it - you push too hard, you go broke.
Except for when you don't, which makes "go woke go broke" a nonsense phrase that means nothing

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I didn't watch Solo so ok, idk. You don't need to shove successful stuff in my face and tell me this is wrong, though. You can shove this stuff a lot, sometimes even under the radar (Korra ending, cut kiss). This doesn't invalidate the phrase, nor the backlash these brands get when they go too far. This is what it's about in the end. They went too far, shoved it in our faces, and got hit in the wallet. No amount of telling me "lol cherry picking" would change that Gillette go screwed after it went woke.
Jordan was right. Republicans buy sneakers. This is a natural response, nothing sinister to it - you push too hard, you go broke.

Why would I like it, because I'm white? I stopped watching Disney when I realized they monopolized entertainment and I was going down from my endgame high. Again who do you think you're talking to smh.
Remember when they did the same thing during the Satan Panic. Burning books, CDs, games. It’s the same thing. You don’t like something and you can’t stand that it exists.

You’re doing identity politics. We understand that you, as a conservative, don’t want people to live a certain way. Burn all the things you want. Just know that burning things is just a virtue signal to other conservatives. It doesn’t change people’s minds, except maybe in the opposite direction

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
10 million active users. The game is still popular on Twitch, it's tied with R6 Siege currently. Are you saying R6 Siege is not a popular game as well? The pro-scene doesn't really mean much for overall popularity, it's less than 1% of the community. You sound like one of those Youtube videos that declares a game dead just because it's not as popular as it once was.

And if games over the years had 1/3 of all protagonists that weren't white (and male), there would be no complaints from the EssJayDubyas about diversity.

Disco Elysium!!!
Where are getting this number from? Blizzard doesn't release these stats. OW is around 15th place on Twitch, methinks.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Remember when they did the same thing during the Satan Panic. Burning books, CDs, games. It’s the same thing. You don’t like something and you can’t stand that it exists.

You’re doing identity politics. We understand that you, as a conservative, don’t want people to live a certain way. Burn all the things you want. Just know that burning things is just a virtue signal to other conservatives. It doesn’t change people’s minds, except maybe in the opposite direction
Your projection is off the charts, you can open a drive-in cinema.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Your projection is off the charts, you can open a drive-in cinema.
Yeah bro, of course.

You’re worried about about a kiss. And want to burn sneakers. But, of course. You’re not offended by things.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Ironically, Solo is my second favorite "so you just want to watch a fun Star War" movie.

Except for when you don't, which makes "go woke go broke" a nonsense phrase that means nothing
Ah, yes, CNN.
They tried to connect with the new generation and failed. The new generation likes their beards and buys their razors from places like "dollar shave club".

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Disco Elysium!!!
I never played it. What's "progressive" and/or "radical feminism" about it?

From my few minutes of research, it seems like it's an RPG where you can be from any extreme of the political spectrum if you want.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ah, yes, CNN.
They tried to connect with the new generation and failed. The new generation likes their beards and buys their razors from places like "dollar shave club".
I mean, I'm pretty sure Gillette going woke and asking men to not be sexist bullies didn't convince a lot of dudes to start growing beards. (Funny as it is to see places like Law Enforcement Today get very mad at an add that says "please don't bully")

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I mean, I'm pretty sure Gillette going woke and asking men to not be sexist bullies didn't convince a lot of dudes to start growing beards. (Funny as it is to see places like Law Enforcement Today get very mad at an add that says "please don't bully")
It managed to turn off its customer base and didn't connect with their intended audience. It was a flop of a campaign which they admirably defended.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It managed to turn off its customer base and didn't connect with their intended audience. It was a flop of a campaign which they admirably defended.
You're mistaking you, personally, for intended audience. It's a bad assumption

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You're mistaking you, personally, for intended audience. It's a bad assumption
Yeah, Betty from HR really liked it. Huge win for Gillette. Meanwhile, they were openly mocked across the internet, every youtube version of the ad has more dislikes than likes, and they lost 8 billion dollars worth of the market share.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Yeah, Betty from HR really liked it. Huge win for Gillette.
Betty from HR is who shops for her husband, son, etc. Gillette also sells women "branded" (ie: colored pink) razors.

Meanwhile, they were openly mocked across the internet
4chan is not the internet. You should probably broaden your experiences a bit.

every youtube version of the ad has more dislikes than likes
Oh dear God, not the DISLIKES. How will they ever recover as a company from this?!?!?

and they lost 8 billion dollars worth of the market share.
You have proof that 1) this actually happened and 2) this was due explicitly to the ad in question?

- But do political games ever succeed?
The Outer Worlds

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Where are getting this number from? Blizzard doesn't release these stats. OW is around 15th place on Twitch, methinks.

How is 15th place on Twitch = dead/unpopular?

I never played it. What's "progressive" and/or "radical feminism" about it?

From my few minutes of research, it seems like it's an RPG where you can be from any extreme of the political spectrum if you want.
You asked what political game has been successful unless your very narrow radical feminism is the only thing that's considered political. I don't even want to know what your requirements are for "radical" feminism though it seems like a trained woman fighter beating up 2 normal dudes in a pulpy action game (that has happened numerous times in action movies) is all it takes to be "radical" or a lady in a Battlefield trailer. I'm guessing the most "radical" BFV got was letting you play as a woman in multiplayer, which is radical feminism how? Hamilton casting different races as historical figures is way more radical than that and it's super popular if you didn't know. Is Maggie Q beating up 2 dudes in Die Hard 4 radical feminism as well? It's pretty much the same setup as Uncharted 4, trained woman fighter beats up guys because she's trained. And if the Uncharted 4 example is indeed "radical" feminism, then it's an example of a very successful progressively radical feminist game, 16+ million sales.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Lol, oh man, this is really eating you up isn't it. Nathan being able to take infinite bullets with his regenerating health is fine but a girl beating up 2 men. Blargle blarg, MAH IMMERSION IS RUINED!!

Holy crap, you really have a full conspiracy theory going about this stupid thing. I'm getting the feeling you have some strong opinions about the shape of the earth.
houseman is just your typical weeb who is angry the industry has moved on and no along amused by basic titillating content.

Just when I thought this thread could not get any dumber. Another thread that was already played out that is once again derailed. @Phoenixmgs don't bother wasting time talking to him. Houseman, I have 0 respect for you and you sound no different those jerks whining about Abby being too muscular (I think TLOU2 sucks.) in a zombie apocalypse. Or those cry baby boys complaining about Charlize Theron kicking grown men asses in Atomic Blonde. I'll drop this:

Don't bother responding with your conspiracy bullshit or how I am making up strawmen. I don't give a rat's ass. As far as I am concerned, you're just another person that does not as much as you think you do. Good day. I won't respond with anything else.
If we are going to us Billy Madison to show how wrong Horseman is I prefer this one.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You asked what political game has been successful unless your very narrow radical feminism is the only thing that's considered political.
I was very clear, I even went so far as to put it in red in post 557 so that you would see it, that by "political" I meant "pushes progressive or radical feminist ideology".

So, how does Disco Elysium fit this definition? And no, I'm not reading that article, because I don't trust games journalists.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I was very clear, I even went so far as to put it in red in post 557 so that you would see it, that by "political" I meant "pushes progressive or radical feminist ideology".

So, how does Disco Elysium fit this definition? And no, I'm not reading that article, because I don't trust games journalists.
You didn't answer the rest of my post...

You "wondered" why ME and BFV got worse implying progressiveness was why. You talked at length about a fight in UC4 that wouldn't be seen as anything out of place whatsoever in an action movie (Uncharted is the game version of a blockbuster action movie). So if that's what your requirements are for pushing a "progressive or radical feminist ideology", then there's so very much media across all mediums that have been successful while "pushing" said ideology it ain't even funny. Avengers Endgame, the highest grossing movie of all time, had that very "MeToo" scene in it, it didn't seem to hurt its success whatsoever. Back to video games, ME3 sold the most of its franchise and UC4 sold 16+ million copies (which I think is also the most for its franchise). If that's not successful, then I don't know what is.

BFV still sold many millions. Even stuff that seems like it was hated like Star Wars Battlefront 2 sold 9 million copies in its first month yet its Metacritic (for PS4) is 68 critic and 1.5 user score. General attitude towards games on message boards or Youtube videos do not equate to how successful or unsuccessful a game is.

Status
Not open for further replies.