The Perfect Apolitical/Politics Free Video.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The proletariat coming together to form the building blocks of the USSR.

These people, who call others bigots, cannot explain why only some instances of LGBT are complained about. For example, they can't explain why Bill in TLoU1 wasn't complained about, but why the Big Lesbian Kiss trailer in TLoU2, was. That they have no explanation for this is proof of a fatal flaw in their argument.
I have no idea why the kiss was complained about either.

Let's be honest, if Ellie was kissing a boy, it wouldn't generate nearly as much outrage.

Then, you have other games which are about whatever, but the climate outside of them is pushing politics into them where they do not belong. Take for example Horizon Zero Dawn, that game is about neocavemen fighting cyborg dinosaurs in a dystopia, but just because the hero is female people are trying to make a feministy case about it when the game has nothing to do with any of that stuff. This is the objectionable bit.
I don't think that's putting politics into games. Certainly not on the part of the developers themselves.

People can interpret media how they want. Some interpretations are more silly than others, though of course, what counts as "silly" will vary from person to person. If people interpret HZD like that, then they're entitled to. Just like people can agree or disagree with them.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one. Despite what you may believe, yours isn't particularly special except for its disconnect with reality.
I'll have you know that my asshole is more informed than your asshole. :p

Call of Duty, or Battlefield,
CoD's politics have been complained about a lot. And Battlefield...remember a BF5 debacle over the female soldier thing?

What other games, had negative push back simply for featuring women just because they were women?
-Gears 5

-Halo 5: Guardians (sort of - not necessarily the presence of females themselves, but what some perceived as SJW politics behind them)

-Hyrule Warriors (the Linkle 'issue')

-Quake Champions (the Nyx 'issue')

Nothing on the level of Battlefield, but I've seen strains of it pop up.

Jesus Christ, is this still going?
You're surprised?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll have you know that my asshole is more informed than your asshole. :p

CoD's politics have been complained about a lot. And Battlefield...remember a BF5 debacle over the female soldier thing?

-Gears 5

-Halo 5: Guardians (sort of - not necessarily the presence of females themselves, but what some perceived as SJW politics behind them)

-Hyrule Warriors (the Linkle 'issue')

-Quake Champions (the Nyx 'issue')

Nothing on the level of Battlefield, but I've seen strains of it pop up.

You're surprised?
Hawki, you are awesome.

Reactions: Hawki

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I have no idea why the kiss was complained about either.

Let's be honest, if Ellie was kissing a boy, it wouldn't generate nearly as much outrage.
Ok I'll actually explain this one.

NOTE: I personally have no objection to the kiss itself just the seeming context surrounding it at the reveal

Ok 2 things to understand

1) It happens in what's meant to be a church hall

2) it was revealed at E3 and Sony had built a replica Church hall that said reveal at the conference took place in.

So to be clear it was a lesbian kiss inside a church hall as the opening sequence of quite a major game and the villains were initially presented (at the time) as a religious fundamentalist cult..............

I may dunk on religion and call it some of the greatest longest running cons human history but even I can see looking at that it looks far more like taking shots and a screw you to certain religious people (you know the ones we're actually allowed to make fun of without people getting mad not the ones who get mad and kill people regularly for upsetting them). It felt kind of like it was a deliberate statement being made and designed actually to try and target what the creator presumably imagined would annoy said people. Like the entire intended audience was said religious groups as a screw you to them or people have a blind burning hatred for people and a strawman belief of how most of them are.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"It's disrespectful to the men who died!" - xXx_420_ColdSnip4h_xXx, while bunnyhopping across Omaha Beach
Reminds me when those same people whined or downplayed blacks or people of color serving in the American Army in WI and WWII. Those assholes don't know a damn thing about history and get all of their info from Hollywood movies, Band of Brothers, and nothing else.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Ok I'll actually explain this one.

NOTE: I personally have no objection to the kiss itself just the seeming context surrounding it at the reveal

Ok 2 things to understand

1) It happens in what's meant to be a church hall

2) it was revealed at E3 and Sony had built a replica Church hall that said reveal at the conference took place in.

So to be clear it was a lesbian kiss inside a church hall as the opening sequence of quite a major game and the villains were initially presented (at the time) as a religious fundamentalist cult..............

I may dunk on religion and call it some of the greatest longest running cons human history but even I can see looking at that it looks far more like taking shots and a screw you to certain religious people (you know the ones we're actually allowed to make fun of without people getting mad not the ones who get mad and kill people regularly for upsetting them). It felt kind of like it was a deliberate statement being made and designed actually to try and target what the creator presumably imagined would annoy said people. Like the entire intended audience was said religious groups as a screw you to them or people have a blind burning hatred for people and a strawman belief of how most of them are.
You're the first person I've seen who pointed out the church thing. I'm not saying you're wrong, but, well, let's just say I don't think the church is the first thing on a lot of people's minds.

Also, it seems tangental. "Evil religious cult" is about as stock a type of enemy as you can get. And looking at the trailer itself, you'd have to squint to see it as a church, and even if there is, there's nothing particuarly 'holy' going on there. And even if a statement is being made to piss off homophobes, are we really afraid about pissing off homophobes?

And look, to go to the other side for a moment, I don't think Naughty Dog deserves brownies or anything for saying "look, we have a gay character, see how progressive we are!" But the Last of Us has never been sold on its characters' sexuality. Saying "Ellie is gay!" and expecting me to like or dislike her solely because of that fact isn't something that ND has done (to my knowledge),.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
And look, to go to the other side for a moment, I don't think Naughty Dog deserves brownies or anything for saying "look, we have a gay character, see how progressive we are!" But the Last of Us has never been sold on its characters' sexuality.
Which is why making a trailer with a BIG GAY KISS front and center is a suspicious move. Is her being in lesbians important to the plot, or something? No? Then why do it?

Saying "Ellie is gay!" and expecting me to like or dislike her solely because of that fact isn't something that ND has done (to my knowledge),.
I dunno, making "ELLIE IS GAY" the focal point of a trailer (trailers are meant to SELL YOU the game) seems like they're trying to sell you some lesbians.

TLoU 1 wasn't marketed with Bill making out with a dude, was it?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Yes.

...Y-yes?

Because it's kinda important to the plot?
I never played it, but it seemed like, from what everyone talked about, that it was just a story about revenge, the cycle of violence, and how that is bad.
How is her being in lesbians important to the plot?

Is Drake being heterosexual important to the plot of the Uncharted games?

Reactions: Ezekiel

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Reminds me when those same people whined or downplayed blacks or people of color serving in the American Army in WI and WWII. Those assholes don't know a damn thing about history and get all of their info from Hollywood movies, Band of Brothers, and nothing else.
We doing the "Women served in WWII on mostly Middle East and Russian fronts so an English one armed woman is totally plausible" again? Cause if so again, a bear served in WWII as well so #WheresmybearEA?

You're the first person I've seen who pointed out the church thing. I'm not saying you're wrong, but, well, let's just say I don't think the church is the first thing on a lot of people's minds.

Also, it seems tangental. "Evil religious cult" is about as stock a type of enemy as you can get. And looking at the trailer itself, you'd have to squint to see it as a church, and even if there is, there's nothing particuarly 'holy' going on there. And even if a statement is being made to piss off homophobes, are we really afraid about pissing off homophobes?

And look, to go to the other side for a moment, I don't think Naughty Dog deserves brownies or anything for saying "look, we have a gay character, see how progressive we are!" But the Last of Us has never been sold on its characters' sexuality. Saying "Ellie is gay!" and expecting me to like or dislike her solely because of that fact isn't something that ND has done (to my knowledge),.
It's more about the perception of said groups being homophobes as a whole. Or saying something like "When the apocalypse comes the religious people will all end up going extremist" sort of thing.

To use another example from something else in the same vein of "Clearly I'm not the audience for this moment" and I'll put up spoilers for this one in case anyone cares

Black Sails Season 2

Ok so throughout Season 2 it's been building up a big reveal about why Captain Flint one of the main characters of the show left the British Navy. All we know beforehand is that Flint now lives in Nassau in a small house away from the main town with the wife of a British Governor. Throughout Season 2 we see him meeting the governor and his wife and it's implied Flint and the Governor's wife started an affair with the Governor seemingly aware of it and fine with it. These flashbacks happen for 3/4 of the season until Flint sitting there at a crucial moment has a flash back to when he was meeting the Governor and they're alerted that men are coming for him, the Governor and the Governors wife. The Governor tells Flint to take his wife and flee he has a boat prepared to take them away. After they've fled Flint then replays all the flashbacks of the affair and the truth is revealed

Flint's affair was with the Governor, Flint is Gay.

* Cue minutes of silence and nothing else happening in the show*

Here's the problem.........it didn't bother me. My reaction upon the revelation was "Oh he's gay so what's the big revelation........... oh............ that's it.......... really that's it?" the show was designed for that the for some reason be a big impactful moment with it sort of going "Are you shocked the manly captain Flint is gay? Bet you are, we'd better give you some time to digest it". It was clear whoever that reveal was meant for and meant to shock it fell flat in my case. Not least because they'd already had a character who realised she was a lesbian that season and it was over in 2 episodes. Hell it's a show that already had 1 lesbian character and a bi woman in it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We doing the "Women served in WWII on mostly Middle East and Russian fronts so an English one armed woman is totally plausible" again? Cause if so again, a bear served in WWII as well so #WheresmybearEA?
I am not focused on EA's disaster PR with Battlefield V. I was calling out the idiots who acts as if those of my race never served in those wars. I got family on on both sides that either served in the army or navy, so I find it insulting that you have know-it-alls- trying to act like they have the final fucking word on history. If you put assholes like them out on the battlefield, they would crying for mommy, daddy, or whatever legal guardian that raised them.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Which is why making a trailer with a BIG GAY KISS front and center is a suspicious move. Is her being in lesbians important to the plot, or something? No? Then why do it?
I understand that the girl Ellie kisses is her partner in the story, and what I took from it is that even in a world as grim as this one, there's moments of happiness to be found.

I dunno, making "ELLIE IS GAY" the focal point of a trailer (trailers are meant to SELL YOU the game) seems like they're trying to sell you some lesbians.
Except it wasn't the first trailer, nor the last.

No, but Bill's a side character, Ellie's the protagonist, entwined with her love interest. It isn't a 1:1 comparison.

Is Drake being heterosexual important to the plot of the Uncharted games?
Considering that he ends up in a relationship with Elena, and has a daughter with her at the end...kind of?

The prosthetic angle was removed, the 'controversy' still remained.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The prosthetic angle was removed, the 'controversy' still remained.
Kinda because the limb was proved to be historically authentic mostly. Though there's no evidence anyone male or female served on the frontline with one.

Though there was a pilot in the UK with two artificial legs.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Remember those Halycon days in 2014 when you'd get 10 pages to catch up on about 'women in game' after work. You guys got to 8. We're almost there guys. We're almost back to where we used to be

Reactions: Hawki

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Considering that he ends up in a relationship with Elena, and has a daughter with her at the end...kind of?
Yeah, it's kind of important. Not "focal point of a trailer" important.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yeah, it's kind of important. Not "focal point of a trailer" important.
It's debatable whether it's the focal point there either. There's a lot going on beyond "Ellie's a lesbian."

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

All this makes me wonder what ND could possibly do next. Will they try and outdo themselves with another “statement” or come back down to earth.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
People can interpret media how they want. Some interpretations are more silly than others, though of course, what counts as "silly" will vary from person to person. If people interpret HZD like that, then they're entitled to. Just like people can agree or disagree with them.
And it is in disagreeing with those people that one utters the phrase "don't put politics in games" yet once one does so they get treated as though they did something they shouldn't have, despite as you say "people can agree or disagree".

There's basically a doublespeak going on, where on the one hand you're given the option to disagree, and then are criticized for doing so.

If you're fine with people disagreeing, you shouldn't have any issues with their actual disagreement, they are just as much entitled to it as you are to your interpretations. Just because you think a disagreement is silly, that's not the law of the land any more so than someone's opinion on your interpretation of a game is.

Basically, if you call our opinion of your opinion silly, we get to call your opinion silly too, so you lose there. And if you want to claim that your opinion can't be silly out of a virtue of it simply being an opinion, you can't condemn our opinion that it is, cause that, too, is also an opinion, so you lose there too.

Either opinions can be silly, or they can't. Can't have it both ways.