Gaming Journalists Make No Damn Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Anything not done in service to the hobby hurts the hobby.

Recognizing this fact is not antithetical to the ideals of free speech. It's not about what you can or can't say, it's with what intention you're saying it and whether or not you make the hobby better or worse as a result.
Sounds like a bunch of gatekeeping for things you don't like and a way to get around Free Speech. You can only do something if you have 'good intention'. I'm assuming you would like to have some sort of control over who decides those good intentions. Cant let those wokester be in control of good intentions.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Sounds like a bunch of gatekeeping for things you don't like and a way to get around Free Speech.
Aren't you also calling things "bad corporate interference?" How is it that you get to do this but I don't?

This is also bad corporate interference.
We're on the same side. We both disagree with "bad corporate influence", we just differ in what we consider to be "bad", or possibly what we consider to be "corporate influence"

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It really depends. Are you trying to ban pecan crunch ice cream?
No I'm not trying to see it banned lol

I'm trying to point out to people adamant pecan crunch should be in everything because they love Pecan crunch so much and believe it's owed support that no it's showing to not be financially viable to do that and people shouldn't be obligated to support pecan crunch just because it's failing.

Or are you just leaving it alone to do its own thing? Because right now, you're analogy doesn't make sense. For this analogy to match what you're doing, you would be stating that pecan crunch is ruining the rest of ice cream and we need to get rid of it.

Maybe you should take your analogy and learn from it? It's a perfect analogy for what you should be doing
In this analogy people are arguing for pecan crunch to be mixed in with everything and the industry in a foolish move have gone heavily in on pecan crunch and now aren't seeing sales. The people who don't like Pecan crunch are going "We told you that we didn't like it" while those who love it are going "You're all horrible awful nutphobes for not supporting Pecan Crunch and Pecan crunch pushing isn't the problem" lol

It's actually a shockingly solid analogy, well except pecan crunch if a flavour of ice cream while woke messaging is more like cheap strawberry sauce on top of ice cream and not actually itself core to the product normally.

I mean they could do Batwoman as a lesbian without implications of "Ugh men always taking the credit for woman's work" or "Yeh it's better when a woman does it cause men are doo doo heads".

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Sounds like a bunch of gatekeeping for things you don't like and a way to get around Free Speech. You can only do something if you have 'good intention'. I'm assuming you would like to have some sort of control over who decides those good intentions. Cant let those wokester be in control of good intentions.
In this case though the gatekeeping is a case of.

"we've kept letting you in and you've kept causing trouble and harming the entire town ultimately. Attacking other people trying to sell their goods on false grounds while demanding people buy yours and insulting and attacking them when they refuse. You have shown time and time again you cannot and will not play by the same rules as others so if you want to keep selling your wares you'll have to do it elsewhere. We won't stop you selling them at all. But you can't keep selling them here unless you can prove there is interest which you have not done."

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
In this case though the gatekeeping is a case of.

"we've kept letting you in and you've kept causing trouble and harming the entire town ultimately. Attacking other people trying to sell their goods on false grounds while demanding people buy yours and insulting and attacking them when they refuse. You have shown time and time again you cannot and will not play by the same rules as others so if you want to keep selling your wares you'll have to do it elsewhere. We won't stop you selling them at all. But you can't keep selling them here unless you can prove there is interest which you have not done."
Fucking lol at the idea you're "letting" anyone play games. That's a perfect snapshot of toxic gamer entitlement.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Aren't you also calling things "bad corporate interference?" How is it that you get to do this but I don't?

We're on the same side. We both disagree with "bad corporate influence", we just differ in what we consider to be "bad", or possibly what we consider to be "corporate influence"
I said this a while ago. I know.

I'm also pointing out, in this quote, that your making an assumption. All this stuff your against isn't necessarily corporate influence.

Let's take a really tricky example. Pascal spearheaded Ghostbuster 2016. She then spearheaded Into the Spiderverse. Two incredibly 'woke' movies but taken by the audience very different. To me, that maybe she learnt from her mistakes and was able to making diversity more palatable. The other issue is that she's the producer... so you may call that bad corporate influence in it self (and she's also the head of the company that made these movies.) Producers are very much in a grey zone, as they usually have such a huge influence in every movie but clearly the corporate side and things can go pear shaped if they influence too much. I dont know where I stand on her and probably need more data points

Reactions: Gyrobot

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Fucking lol at the idea you're "letting" anyone play games.
I'm not. The industry and economic realities of gaming are deciding the product though mostly lol.

People just seem mad because there's not been a $250 Million walking Sim about domestic abuse and are demanding the AAA industry make it. Rather than looking at and trying to support a smaller indie title trying to do just that.

Gaming is a big house, there's room for everyone, but if you keep barging into other peoples rooms and demanding change and all their rooms conform to what you want don't expect to be very welcome or supported in the house lol.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

I'm also pointing out, in this quote, that your making an assumption. All this stuff your against isn't necessarily corporate influence.

Let's take a really tricky example. Pascal spearheaded Ghostbuster 2016. She then spearheaded Into the Spiderverse. Two incredibly 'woke' movies but taken by the audience very different. To me, that maybe she learnt from her mistakes and was able to making diversity more palatable. The other issue is that she's the producer... so you may call that bad corporate influence in it self (and she's also the head of the company that made these movies.) Producers are very much in a grey zone, as they usually have such a huge influence in every movie but clearly the corporate side and things can go pear shaped if they influence too much. I dont know where I stand on her and probably need more data points
Which kind of showcases the difference between diverse and woke.

Ghostbusers 2016 = almost every male character is either against them or a moron one way or another and they win the day by shooting the stay puff marshmallow man in the crotch.

Into the Spiderverse = Yeh here's older Peter Parker to try and help you and pass on his skills and knowledge and he's not entirely useless or a joke character.

Reactions: Houseman

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Then please don't be accusing me of things that would also apply to you since we're on the same side and doing the same things, lest you be a hypocrite.

Two incredibly 'woke' movies
Do you think that something is "incredibly woke" just because it stars a black guy?
That's kind of insulting.

What Dwarvenhobble said about the difference in diverse and woke.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Then please don't be accusing me of things that would also apply to you since we're on the same side and doing the same things, lest you be a hypocrite.

Do you think that something is "incredibly woke" just because it stars a black guy?
That's kind of insulting.

What Dwarvenhobble said about the difference in diverse and woke.
OMFG. I know. I said this before
Imagine that. People that you lump into progressive because of their race/sex/sexuality. Just gonna put it out there but being a gay person doesn't automatically put you in as a progressive. Or trans. Or black. Because that is stupid
Thanks for listening to me.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
OMFG. I know. I said this before
Thanks for listening to me.
It just sounds like you're saying a bunch of contradictory things, and then pointing me towards where you said those contradictory things.

Saying that I'm gatekeeping and against free speech, for saying that I'm against bad corporate influence, when you are too.
Saying that just having a black protagonist in a movie makes it "incredibly woke" while also saying the opposite.

Saying "I know" doesn't help. What is it that you know?

You gotta actually RESOLVE these contradictions, not just quote yourself and point at it, because that doesn't clear anything up.
Say something like "When I said this I meant _____not that ______" or "when I said this earlier, I didn't mean ______, but rather, ______"

Same goes when you accuse people of contradicting themselves, and post a quote to "prove" it. It's possible that you misunderstood something. Adding words to explain why you think there's a contradiction would help.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It just sounds like you're saying a bunch of contradictory things, and then pointing me towards where you said those contradictory things.

Saying that I'm gatekeeping and against free speech, for saying that I'm against bad corporate influence, when you are too.
Saying that just having a black protagonist in a movie makes it "incredibly woke" while also saying the opposite.

Saying "I know" doesn't help. What is it that you know?

You gotta actually RESOLVE these contradictions, not just quote yourself and point at it, because that doesn't clear anything up.
Say something like "When I said this I meant _____not that ______" or "when I said this earlier, I didn't mean ______, but rather, ______"

Same goes when you accuse people of contradicting themselves, and post a quote to "prove" it. It's possible that you misunderstood something. Adding words to explain why you think there's a contradiction would help.
No, the problem is definition.

Is it safe to say you guys are claiming that fem Doctor Who is woke? That it doesn’t met the level of writing you want?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeh he still tackles her and gets a kick in at her head plus a few good punches and throws her through a set of shelves

I mean in TLOU 2 there's meant to be a passage of time of months or so in various parts.
A.I. ignoring Ellie is a gameplay element more than anything else.
Joel's impaling I mean it's improbable but still just about possible
God forbid it's not a perfect 1-to-1 comparison of the Nadine fight.You do realize action scenes are choreographed for specific reasons right? The Maggie Q fight, the director wanted some drama, a bit of back and forth. The Nadine fight, the director wanted to show how outclassed Drake and Sam were. Look at this, she doesn't even take one hit.

You can pass time all you want, but making those treks aren't easy, that's literally the point of the 1st game. Just because you pass time doesn't make the trek any easier. It's also why Tess didn't become the villain in TLOU1 because the writers said someone trekking across the country for revenge doesn't make sense. You said IIRC that how buff Abby is breaks immersion, well that shitty AI breaks immersion even more. Also, making better AI would generally improve the game (that promised AI way back from the TLOU1 E3 video). Do you know what's more likely to happen than Joel surviving the impaling, Nadine beating up 2 guys because she's more skilled.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Is it safe to say you guys are claiming that fem Doctor Who is woke? That it doesn’t met the level of writing you want?
I'll leave that argument to Dwarvenhobble, since I've never said a word about Doctor Who.

But I'll take a guess and say that we're only suspecting that certain characters or elements are there at the behest of corporate meddling, and one of the tell-tale signs of corporate meddling is that they're poorly shoved-in, or in other words, bad writing. But not all bad writing means corporate meddling.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, the problem is definition.

There was an episode on Plastic Pollution that also advocated taking multiple holidays via jet plane each year.............

There was an episode on a Trump esc corrupt hotel owner who when he shoots a giant spider struggling to breath the Doctor berates him, when he says it was a mercy killing she claims it wasn't but no-one brings up the however many spiders she just sealed in a vault to die of starvation or cannibalising one another...........

How about the Rosa Parks episode where there was a Sci-Fi far future racist terrorist who acted more like a stereotype racist from the 50s than anything you could really say would make sense for some future racist dude to act like, I mean even these days you'd struggle to find some-one who was like that but in the future?..........Oh and they just didn't bother to explain most of the stuff about the character, also got the information wrong as while Rosa Parks is the most well known person to refuse to move she wasn't the first to do so?

How about the the Doctor being made literally the most important person in timelord history whose responsible for most of their progress ultimately?

Orphan 55?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
God forbid it's not a perfect 1-to-1 comparison of the Nadine fight.You do realize action scenes are choreographed for specific reasons right? The Maggie Q fight, the director wanted some drama, a bit of back and forth. The Nadine fight, the director wanted to show how outclassed Drake and Sam were. Look at this, she doesn't even take one hit.
She's also 1 vs 1 and it's more martial arts vs cage fighting also it's mostly a defensive fight with her countering. while Nadine was 2 vs her with being on the offense most of the time.

Number of opponents can make a difference

You can pass time all you want, but making those treks aren't easy, that's literally the point of the 1st game. Just because you pass time doesn't make the trek any easier. It's also why Tess didn't become the villain in TLOU1 because the writers said someone trekking across the country for revenge doesn't make sense. You said IIRC that how buff Abby is breaks immersion, well that shitty AI breaks immersion even more. Also, making better AI would generally improve the game (that promised AI way back from the TLOU1 E3 video). Do you know what's more likely to happen than Joel surviving the impaling, Nadine beating up 2 guys because she's more skilled.
And that's another issue in TLOU part 2 then of breaking established cannon but not that egregious, people can and do travel fair distances by foot still and could if they needed to most likely.

Shitty A.I. is gameplay as such though which isn't lore or world buildings.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
To be fair, this isn't an explicit answer to Trunkage's question.
No you're right it's not.

Just pointing pointing out some of the woke moments in the series that stuck out more.

But yeh I do consider it to have decided to go woke, not every episode, not all the time but it's gone a lot more explicit in it's referencing real world issue from them being side comments by the Doctor to Jodie's Doctor almost turning to the camera and lecturing sometimes.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'll leave that argument to Dwarvenhobble, since I've never said a word about Doctor Who.

But I'll take a guess and say that we're only suspecting that certain characters or elements are there at the behest of corporate meddling, and one of the tell-tale signs of corporate meddling is that they're poorly shoved-in, or in other words, bad writing. But not all bad writing means corporate meddling.
You’re right, not all bad writing is corporate meddling. I do want to point out that as far as I can see, Dwarvenhobble talks far more about writing in his definition. You are adding more about characters. Great, let’s talk about characters.

So corporate meddling is bad. Why do you think that only effects ‘woke’ media? Like, do you understand that corporates choosing white males for roles instead of the best person for the job has the exact same issues. White males regularly get selected because execs thought that women couldn’t do the job. It’s why male Superheroes were selected for Marvel because they thought women couldn’t do it.

Thats also corporate meddling.

A lot of phase 1 is pretty bad because they made this decision, with Iron Man 1 being the only good movie there. Similar at DC, they certainly didn’t pick Wonder Woman to start the franchise and that’s a huge mistake.

Foisting female characters onto people isn’t good. Neither is foisting white males on us. My problem is JUST woke crap. It’s all corporate meddling.

I get the idea of wanting to fix woke. Because this introduction is terrible and should never happen again.

Carter and Teal’c was probably foisted onto SG1. It’s corporate meddling. Having an alien spy in your midst makes no sense. It could have gone the other way, and kept the white males originally in those positions and that would have been corporate meddling too.

Status
Not open for further replies.