Your video game hot take(s) thread

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah gotta disagree on that.

I'm not gonna play a game with terrible gameplay. If the story is good I might watch a lets play of it on youtube or something, but I'm not going to bother picking up a controller to play something that I'm going to hate playing just to see the story.

The best gameplay in the world absolutely can save a story that is so bad I don't care about it, because I think God Hand is awesome. Terrible story, terrible voice acting, terrible graphics and level design, and pretty homophobic, but holy shit the combat system is incredible.
I think there is a fine line where it tips into "unplayable" for either factor. Given how I've stopped playing several games because the story was so terrible I just couldn't compel myself to waste hours of my life playing it, I'd say I probably more often fall into the "good story makes up for bad mechanics" more often than the other way. I'm trying to remember a game that I loved the story, but the gameplay was so bad I couldn't stomach it, and I can't think of any offhand. There probably is one or two? But nothing's coming to mind.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Black Cat in the PS4 Spidey game is a real horrible person for what she did to Peter. She lied to him about having a child, let him believe it was his, just so she could string him along to steal stuff, for profit. And when she's found out, her response is just "teehee, oh silly Spider, I was just playing with you. No hard feelings! Buhbye!"

Fuck you, that's some really despicable shit right there.
You're not the only person on those feelings. Not many fans defend black cat for that. Whitelight threw a shitstorm on her.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oh, if we're being serious, then I suppose the gameplay of Undertale really annoys me. I get to about the 3rd or 4th heart battle before quitting, going "I hate it! Why must I do it??" But really, I hate myself more for not being able to enjoy a thing everyone else enjoys. Emotion is a good thing in entertainment, and people tell me it's there, but that bloody minigame grates. A dialogue choice would be less annoying, like telltale!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Was that in his crtique video? Never heard of him before so not sure where he went off on her.
Yep. He's got to at least three Spider-Man PS4 videos. All of his complaints about black cat are in both videos. In the second video, I think it's mostly towards the end.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’ve only used a couple scrub weapons so far, but the gunplay in Cyberpunk 2077 already feels better and has more satisfying visual feedback than the swordplay in The Witcher 3.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I see you are a man of culture, sir. :)
It also works for me because I actually have some experience with fencing. I don’t fancy my gunplay skills against anyone who was in the military. Even if all you did was swab the deck - do they still do that in the Navy? - your firearm handling skills are greater than mine.

Oh uh, and God of War is an edge lord series of games and Kratos is a rampaging arsehole and no, making him like he was in the recent game doesn’t wash that away.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Black Cat in the PS4 Spidey game is a real horrible person for what she did to Peter. She lied to him about having a child, let him believe it was his, just so she could string him along to steal stuff, for profit. And when she's found out, her response is just "teehee, oh silly Spider, I was just playing with you. No hard feelings! Buhbye!"

Fuck you, that's some really despicable shit right there.
The DLC episodes for Spider-Man PS4 are generally not very good. You can just feel how the stories are super rushed.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The DLC episodes for Spider-Man PS4 are generally not very good. You can just feel how the stories are super rushed.
Quality of the content is separate in my opinion, I'm just talking about her motivation. They try to make her out to be an anti-hero, conflicted villain, but good enough that we empathize with her, and silently root for her to win, even if it means Spidey loses. Or, for her to finally take that last step to be a full Hero, because she's Really Not That Bad. But intentionally playing on Peter's sense of responsibility, and traumatic homelife (which I don't know if she knows about or not depending on the iteration), JUST to make money? Sorry but no. I mean she knows Peter well enough that even just mentioning a child would be enough for him to turn the city upside down to help, adding that it's maybe his is just cold and callous. Especially when she just galavants away after the reveal, laughing, and everyone just treats it like it's a funny joke.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It also works for me because I actually have some experience with fencing. I don’t fancy my gunplay skills against anyone who was in the military. Even if all you did was swab the deck - do they still do that in the Navy? - your firearm handling skills are greater than mine.

Oh uh, and God of War is an edge lord series of games and Kratos is a rampaging arsehole and no, making him like he was in the recent game doesn’t wash that away.
You are correct about Kratos. At least he's trying to be a better person and make sure his son is a better person than him.

Speaking of which, Asura's Wrath is a better God of War Game than all the God of War games. While God of War 4 can be described as American Asura's Wrath.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
God of War 3 had the greatest "tutorial" of all time. You learn the mechanics of the game, while climbing Mt. Olympus on a fucking TITAN, hellbent on carving up the Greek pantheon in a revenge orgy. They send the God of the Fucking Seven Seas to stop you, and you finish the tutorial by killing a GOD. I've yet to see a tutorial match that level of badassery when it comes to the scale you are operating on. Fucking killing rats in a basement? Psssh! ***** please!!

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The setting for Assassin's Creed Valhalla was a mistake.

Vikings and medieval England might not be boring but they are incredibly mundane in video games. Every medieval fantasy world takes at least some inspiration from medieval England and they pretty much all have at least one culture inspired by the Vikings. We've seen medieval England before and we've played as Vikings before.

This utterly unimaginative setting is a bit contrast with its two predecessors. Ancient Greece and Ptolemaic Egypt are settings that video games rarely ever touch outside of RTS's. If you wanted to run around in those settings then Assasin's Creed was pretty much the only game in town. It was these settings that made the previous games interesting, refreshing and unique rather than the bog standard Ubisoft Sandbox gameplay. But now that they chose the most mundane setting imaginable only the already incredibly mundane Ubisoft sandbox gameplay remains.

In Origins and Oddysey we had mundane gameplay and a very refreshing setting.
In Valhalla we have mundane gameplay and the most mundane setting imaginable.

Why would I buy a game that's mundane in pretty much all areas? Ubisoft games are usually consistently adequate rather than consistently good. There's certainly a place for such games but if they are boring while already being average then what's the point?

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
Welp I'm gonna get flamed to hell and back but I really don't like the modern Persona games. Guess I'll prepare for my funeral.

I actually consider Persona 4 to be one of the worst games I've ever played which sounds harsh because there's a lot of games out there that deserve that more than an actual finished and functional game like Big Riggs, Ride to Hell, and Sonic 06 but I think because its a finished game makes it worse for me. I really find the characters a combination of bland or annoying; Teddie is extremely annoying than endearing and him being really close to being a sex offender is something I find creepy and disgusting at the same time and Yosuke is just as annoying, being the complainer and all, with his homophobia turning me off from the game. The game itself does very little to innovate from its predecessor, only giving you the option to control your party members and a friend zone option... Huh? I know these things should had been in 3 since the start but its just more of the same. The gameplay isn't different either; Press the thing enemy is weak to, get extra turn to do that and beat them up. That's it. There isn't much depth to the combat or anything. The story is probably thing going for it due to murder mystery but since I don't really care for the characters I'm not too invested in it that I'd rather play something else.

When I was playing through Persona 5R I wasn't having any fun with the game other than putting the game in Japanese as I found out that Pikachu yells at Ryuji in that version which I find hilarious for some reason. The characters here are better than 4's but I feel like I've seen these characters before so they didn't really excite me. I just bored playing through it again, even with the new stuff added in like Kasumi. When I was playing early on during Kameshiro's palace it had me thinking about this game more, namely the fact this game is basically about a bunch of teenagers angsting about how unfair society is...when they wouldn't really know what the world is really like. Yes I understand the younger generation is often obstructed from the older generation but it just comes off as whining to me due to how its written at times and becoming the Phantom Thieves is just feels like a power fantasy which I would had loved when I was 15. I just feel like this game lack depth in its story, characters, and gameplay make it seem all flash no substance. I can't explain it too well to be honest, it might just be me not being in that demograph anymore.

I do have nostalgia for Persona 3 but I'm not looking back at that game too fondly either so what caused this change? Well I ended up playing the original games, particularly 2 and it just blew my mind. The games are rather standard as JRPGs go but the characters and story just really sold me. I absolutely love the characters from both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Like Tatsuya, the protagonist of Innocent Sin, is supposed to represent the player but even he's a character in of himself as he feels like he's struggling to come up for a future for himself, he has a character tick where he plays with his lighter, and he even has an actual backstory with one of the other characters so its no wonder why he ended up being a fully fledged character in the next game. I also really like Eikichi that he's my favorite character in the series because he's over the top in everything he does and I love him for what he does. I also really love how Eternal Punishment does have adult characters for its main cast which is rare for JRPGs in general which helps ground the game in reality. The story is pretty great too where a bunch of people are chosen by God for a bet against a literal eldritch abomination but everyone is a bit uncomfortable about that. Innocent Sin is a rather dark game, the darkest the series ever will be, but I love it for actually being thought provoking to say the least. I think it does help that there's a gay option in Innocent Sin that's often considered canon without any jokes attached to it which is saying a lot if a game from 1999 is more progressive than one from 2008 but I digress.

Maybe I am a hypocrite at the end of the day because I really love Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Fire Emblem, and the Atelier series which all have similar elements to Persona series. I don't think I can't explain why I don't like Persona too well despite going on a tangent, maybe I just don't like it anymore? Maybe I've outgrown it? I honestly don't know but I feel really drained from this series and I want to stay away from it. I can't help but wonder if these games are popular just because of dating sim elements which worked for Fire Emblem Awakening success cause waifu wars and what not. I don't know though so yeah. I did what to get that off my chest though. Now I'll go back to digging my grave.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The original Silent Hill deserves a remake more than any Resident Evil. Especially since the classics have all already had at least one, with more on the way.

I’m kinda looking forward to RE4 Remake though. Also curious to see how they handle Ashley’s awesome rack; both in therms of physics and if they give her a reduction because reasons.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Im kinda looking forward to RE4 Remake though. Also curious to see how they handle Ashley’s awesome rack; both in therms of physics and if they give her a reduction because reasons.
I bet you $5,000 imaginary pesos that there are guys that will lose their shit, if they reduce her breasts or give her more realistic billstics. Just like the FF7 dick wads.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Have I told you guys that I think Zelda Breath of the Wild is a shitty game? Because I think it's a piece of HOT shit. And is easily the most overrated Zelda game ever made.

So suck on that smell.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs