Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So straight talk: What's up with guys obsession with social hierarchies and always trying to find a way to justify actually being at the top, despite all evidence to the contrary?
If I were to venture a wild-ass guess, based on my not-degree in anthropology and social sciences, I'd make a guess that it's a callback to the little ape brain tucked into the back of humanity's collective mind, the one that apparently wants to be the big ape that beats its chest the loudest. I'm sure it's vastly more complex that that and I fully expect someone to tell me how mistaken I am soon enough.

Granted, some of us evolved past the shit throwing state a while back....some not so much evidently.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So straight talk: What's up with guys obsession with social hierarchies and always trying to find a way to justify actually being at the top, despite all evidence to the contrary?
There is a large number of men that feel awkward and like they don't fit in. Having a label to give themselves that allows them to set themselves over others gives them comfort and gives them permission to feel like they don't fit in because they are better then others. The male ego is rather fragile while at the same time insisting its not fragile since that would make it less manly.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

APPARENTLY, Sigma males are Alpha males that are even more rare and specialler and don't follow the rules, dad.
That guy's sword in the cover doesn't have a shadow.

Is that a very smart commentary about wanting men who have teeth but don't bite, who have an illusory sword that seems dangerous but is actually ethereal, or is it just negligent oversight by the beta who does the artwork for this book?

Only time will tell.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
So this is just a re-branding effort from ""Alpha Males"" who finally got smart enough to realize that calling themselves ""Alpha Males"" was making them look like fools?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I mean that's hardly a new thing. Alpha male and similar words, and hierarchical male social structures have been around for several generations. I mean shit I remember people using those phrases back in the 80s and 90s, especially if they were trying to be all tough and brotastic, because being an Alpha equates you to a Wolf, and wolves are strong and powerful!! So, the fact that someone added another layer onto it? I mean, ok? And?
Yeah, I know. Iirc the whole alpha male wolf thing was bogus science to begin with and reality is a little different and more complex. But that pretty much goes for all the social structures of the animals which the type of dudes who unironically use 'alpha male' like to equate themselves with.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, I know. Iirc the whole alpha male wolf thing was bogus science to begin with and reality is a little different and more complex. But that pretty much goes for all the social structures of the animals which the type of dudes who unironically use 'alpha male' like to equate themselves with.
Yeah the science behind it isn't legit, but the social imprint it's had on humanity, and how a subset of the male species views itself through that lens, is very much a real thing. I dunno, I guess I just don't see this as some new thing to roll eyes at, as I've read so much werewolf fiction over the years, who dive head first in the Alpha/Beta/Omega mythos on the mystical side, that them calling the bigger Alpha's a Sigma, I'm just like "Oh, ok so they just came up with a new term for what most fiction writer's have just called an Alpha of Alpha's. Ok, I guess that's quicker to say I guess." Doesn't really change anything. I mean it's not like we don't know that brodudes who jockey for dominance in their personal groups, would also have to shuffle out who among each other is alpha of alphas, do this anyway, and have been doing it. It's just a term as far as I'm concerned.

But yes, regardless of what word is used, anyone that unironically refers to themselves using pack hierarchy lingo, is someone I will disassociate with as quickly as possible.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
So this is just a re-branding effort from ""Alpha Males"" who finally got smart enough to realize that calling themselves ""Alpha Males"" was making them look like fools?
More like guys that want to be "Alpha", but can't be bothered to lift. But yes.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I prefer the blue pill <-> red pill analogy, as it has thus far been pretty accurate (there's a shitload of inequality and sexism between the sexes no matter how much people delude themselves).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I honestly just keep filtering this through Patricia Briggs' werewolf mythology about pack structure from her novels.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I prefer the blue pill <-> red pill analogy, as it has thus far been pretty accurate (there's a shitload of inequality and sexism between the sexes no matter how much people delude themselves).
I think the bue<=>red pill analogy is absolutely hilarious, mainly because it was made by then closeted transwomen and taking the red pill was meant to symbolize admitting to yourself that you are trans, yet the people that use it are generally men for their weird macho culture and to be honest they're also generally very diluted from reality and kinda dumb TBH.

It's honestly pretty amazing that it's spawned such a large community of exactly the opposite of what the movie was meant to represent that are exactly what the movie would consider blue-pilled.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

APPARENTLY, Sigma males are Alpha males that are even more rare and specialler and don't follow the rules, dad.

The person who made this tweet also says this right afterward.

" Any real scientist would tell you the actual top of the dude hierarchy is trans men, swiftly followed by X-Men"

I think you need to change who you're following on Twitter.

We aren't. The ones that ARE are the ones that make the most noise. Guys that want to be the "top" and the center of attention go to great efforts to try and force you to be their center of attention, guys that aren't don't spend their energy making this kind of crap.
There is a large number of men that feel awkward and like they don't fit in. Having a label to give themselves that allows them to set themselves over others gives them comfort and gives them permission to feel like they don't fit in because they are better then others. The male ego is rather fragile while at the same time insisting its not fragile since that would make it less manly.
The person who made this tweet being one of them.

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I think the blue<=>red pill analogy is absolutely hilarious, mainly because it was made by then closeted transwomen and taking the red pill was meant to symbolize admitting to yourself that you are trans.
Now who's coming up with theories? I guess that's a neat idea, but definitely an unintended consequence which the Wachowskis have confirmed. The movie already had a lot going on. Besides, the duo had no problem being "brothers" for years after they came up with it.

Art is up for interpretation, but no Word of God confirmation for you this time.
It's honestly pretty amazing that it's spawned such a large community of exactly the opposite of what the movie was meant to represent that are exactly what the movie would consider blue-pilled.
Now this is up for interpretation as well. Maybe the so-called rabbit hole leads to a gender-free utopia! Anyway, to elaborate on what I mean with "thus far been accurate" is that as a teenager I bought into all the nice slogans. "Just be yourself!" "Girls need no special treatment!" "There are no 'girl things' and 'guy things'!" and saw sexism as rather primitive and something I and all of my peers could easily just avoid. Innocent times, but none of it was true then and even less today. Though maybe... had I been a Sigma male instead. Hmm...

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I do wonder if these idiots who brand themselves as the alpha male or the sigma male or whatever the fuck are ever aware that being in charge, being a leader, is a burden.