Impeachment 2, the reckoning revenge redemption.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
And so the Republican party and the American system as a whole completely delegitimized itself. Now we just sit back and wait for the next fascist to pull a coup after democracy failed to keep him in power. After all why wouldn't they try to overthrow the state when the state makes it clear it has no intention to fight back or punish people for trying to overthrow it?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
And so the Republican party and the American system as a whole completely delegitimized itself. Now we just sit back and wait for the next fascist to pull a coup after democracy failed to keep him in power. After all why wouldn't they try to overthrow the state when the state makes it clear it has no intention to fight back or punish people for trying to overthrow it?
The day it falls is the day when the Senators begin to brawl in front of the cameras in the Capitol Building. And Soldiers come inside Congress to force a motion. Because usually Democracy falls when the Military gets involved in that. Trump had an angry mob, he didn't have the Military on his side.

The irony of all this is that this might potentially give Biden a Second Term right out the gate.

Last edited:

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
And with that, I say goodbye to the Republican Party.

I really, truly didn't want it to come to this. I actually like Republicans. Well, real Republicans from my youth.

People are already leaving in the Thousands. I predict more after this. And as we already saw, thousands determine elections.

To those who voted to Acquit, I do hope your job is worth the integrity of the party. I split from Corporates long ago, but I at least know they actually stood for America today. I take some strength in knowing that I used to call myself a Democrat over that.

More over, I'm glad I lost pride before in calling myself an American before this time. I think this would have broken me far worse than my gradual disillusionment with this country.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
More over, I'm glad I lost pride before in calling myself an American before this time. I think this would have broken me far worse than my gradual disillusionment with this country.
I'm in a similar boat. America is a failed experiment in democracy unable to escape the shadow of its patrician origins.

Reactions: ObsidianJones

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

Democrats gonna Democrat. Just like Impeachment #1, they made sure to have enough to get everyone outraged with just enough evidence to get him "impeached" by The House (again) but made sure to hamstring themselves enough to make sure that Donald Trump could ultimately walk. They play everyone like a fucking fiddle; Democrats get to act outraged over this grave injustice while Republicans get to pat themselves on the back for a job well done with their defense.

All well, time to move on to nothing fundamentally changing now I guess.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well, proof if proof were needed that there are no functional legal mechanisms to hold a POTUS to account.

The only upside I can see here is that the Republican Party could devolve into an internal war when the primaries start for the next election: some candidates (or Trump himself) attempting to keep Trumpism going, and others trying to rid the party of the extremists.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well, McConnell basically said he thought Trump should be prosecuted, but we all know that'll be bogged down so long in the courts it won't go anywhere before Trump dies of old age.

I do however have a problem with McConnell saying he thought it was unconstitutional. Firstly, let's remember McConnell refused to let the impeachment go ahead before Trump left office, which - if he believed it was unconstitutional - means by doing so he was refusing to impeach Trump. Secondly, whether a president could be impeached after office was something the Senate literally just voted on as constitutional. In other words, McConnell is, as ever, a disingenuous piece of shit.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I'm in a similar boat. America is a failed experiment in democracy unable to escape the shadow of its patrician origins.
Humanity just can't let go of Kings and Tyrants because sharing power is hard. Its easy if one person holds all the power and doing whatever they want.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Humanity just can't let go of Kings and Tyrants because sharing power is hard. Its easy if one person holds all the power and doing whatever they want.
There's a concept in my culture which is politely named the House Negro.

Back in slavery, if you were a field Negro (again, using the nice name), you would be working like a dog, whipped, chained, bred, basically starved and fed the scraps (which we seasoned up so nice that the Masters smelled and wanted the Black women to cook for them). You were cattle that could speak english.

The House Negro were the butlers. They were given clothes to wear. Better food. Enough time with the Masters that they actually became fond of the House Negroes.

The thought is that the House Negro would sometimes think themselves better than the regular field-hands. The masters never whipped them. They would trust them with things. Reward them. They must be better. If they were going to live in a culture and timeframe that would always be disparaging to their kind, might as well live at as high of the top as you can get.

This is the mentality that shares with your thoughts. You might not be the king, but kiss up to the king enough and he might let you keep a bit more of your possessions because you pleased him.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
There's a concept in my culture which is politely named the House Negro.

Back in slavery, if you were a field Negro (again, using the nice name), you would be working like a dog, whipped, chained, bred, basically starved and fed the scraps (which we seasoned up so nice that the Masters smelled and wanted the Black women to cook for them). You were cattle that could speak english.

The House Negro were the butlers. They were given clothes to wear. Better food. Enough time with the Masters that they actually became fond of the House Negroes.

The thought is that the House Negro would sometimes think themselves better than the regular field-hands. The masters never whipped them. They would trust them with things. Reward them. They must be better. If they were going to live in a culture and timeframe that would always be disparaging to their kind, might as well live at as high of the top as you can get.

This is the mentality that shares with your thoughts. You might not be the king, but kiss up to the king enough and he might let you keep a bit more of your possessions because you pleased him.
I am not kissing up to the king, I am noticing something about humanity in general. Name any other civilization besides Ancient Antiquity of Rome and Greece that had a Republic or Democracy.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I am not kissing up to the king, I am noticing something about humanity in general. Name any other civilization besides Ancient Antiquity of Rome and Greece that had a Republic or Democracy.
Oh, I'm not saying you are kissing up to the king. I'm saying that the House/Field Negro idea goes along with people's need for Kings and Tyrants to rule them.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Potentially more than we know about: most of the world's ancient cultures simply didn't write down anything about their societies and histories to record it for us, and much of what we know has to be gleaned from the few that did.

It's believed some of the Celtic and ancient British tribes were democratic or at least had democratic elements (e.g. elected kings), according to Roman sources. It may have been more common that we think.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The next time a Republican comes up to me and claims to belong to "the party of law and order", I'm going to spit in their face.
Party of law and order as long as it's their law and their order.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Oh, I'm not saying you are kissing up to the king. I'm saying that the House/Field Negro idea goes along with people's need for Kings and Tyrants to rule them.
Ehh, I'm not sure its so much a desire for kings and tyrants as it is the nostalgia for parents and just not wanting to deal with all the shit.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
All I can say is you have changed Obsidian.

Ever since Trump won I think.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
All I can say is you have changed Obsidian.

Ever since Trump won I think.
Ok.

Once again. I wasn't referring to you. I was using the general 'you' in my comment. I was referring to people like the Republicans who latch themselves on to Trump. But if you feel I have changed, so be it.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Ok.

Once again. I wasn't referring to you. I was using the general 'you' in my comment. I was referring to people like the Republicans who latch themselves on to Trump. But if you feel I have changed, so be it.
No I didn't say that as a way of saying "are you referring to me?"

I said it about what I've noticed about you for the past couple of years.