Impeachment 2, the reckoning revenge redemption.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You appear to be attributing to the Civil Rights Act provisions it didn't contain (transferring the primary enforcement duties to federal agencies).
You're inventing a legal system that doesn't exist. States and localities are not the primary enforces of federal law unless the law in question explicitly tasks them to do so which this bill did not do, but explicitly granted the power to the US Attorney General.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You're inventing a legal system that doesn't exist. States and localities are not the primary enforces of federal law unless the law in question explicitly tasks them to do so which this bill did not do, but explicitly granted the power to the US Attorney General.
And I'm sure the Attorney General & the Federal Justices were happy to go traipsing about Alabama, knocking on doors, posting summonses, and collecting fines.

The Justice Dept. & EEOC would litigate if things were brought to them: essentially a final recourse for non-compliance. That's not what I mean by enforcement, and I assumed it also wasn't what you meant by enforcement, since you were talking about far-reaching new powers.

Last edited:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
States and localities are not the primary enforces of federal law unless the law in question explicitly tasks them to do so
You feel the same way about "sanctuary cities" and immigration law, I'm sure.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You feel the same way about "sanctuary cities" and immigration law, I'm sure.
I do feel that way about immigration law. Some of the "sanctuary city" (or rather, the "sanctuary state") crap's gone a bit overboard, but immigration law isn't their responsibility.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well, republicans wanted to give trump 2 months to prepare a defense.
They mean two months to check the polls very carefully to get a sense of how much shit they'll be in with their own voters if they want to convict, and/or two months for the outrage to lessen so people aren't so pissed if they acquit him. Although on the other hand, I think it's reasonable to give the defendent time to prepare his defence in deference to appropriate rigour. (Not that appropriate rigour bothered them last impeachment.)

I strognly believe that Trump will refuse to speak, and most likely won't even turn up in person.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They mean two months to check the polls very carefully to get a sense of how much shit they'll be in with their own voters if they want to convict, and/or two months for the outrage to lessen so people aren't so pissed if they acquit him. Although on the other hand, I think it's reasonable to give the defendent time to prepare his defence in deference to appropriate rigour. (Not that appropriate rigour bothered them last impeachment.)

I strognly believe that Trump will refuse to speak, and most likely won't even turn up in person.
Maybe, I was thinking they were probably trying to let the furor about it die down so it woudln't look so bad to let him off again. But you might be right about them really wanting to see which way the party will lean more, if its the turtle or the orange bastards party.

Maybe, but this does seem like the sort of thing he would have to show up for or it would look bad, and before you say he doesn't care about that. He didn't pardon himself and his kids because he was convinced it would look bad and he would actually have to say there were crimes he was being pardoned for.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Maybe, but this does seem like the sort of thing he would have to show up for or it would look bad, and before you say he doesn't care about that. He didn't pardon himself and his kids because he was convinced it would look bad and he would actually have to say there were crimes he was being pardoned for.
Currently, no (legal) stink has stuck to his family: a pardon would put one on them. A self-pardon is so plainly outrageous in a democracy that SCOTUS would have to kill it, and thus Trump would not benefit and also incriminate himself by pointing prosecutors straight at his likely criminality.

But really impeachment is politics with a veneer of law, not justice. All Trump needs to care about is whether the Republicans will support his impeachment, and whether Republicans will support his impeachment comes down plain and simple to their own internal politics. Clearly the next four years will be a no-holds-barred struggle between Trumpist successors and anti-Trumpists. A few Rep senators will convict on principle and Trump loyalists will acquit on principle, the others (probably 30-40) only care about whether impeaching Trump might lose them their seat or will be beneficial for crushing the Trump faction.

blockhead77

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2020
Impeachment (plus being found guilty in the Senate) implies that the individual has committed a crime. Pretty sure a judgement by the senate is legally actionable and would immediately or quickly lead to a federal conviction as well.
I clearly forgot about that small detail, whoops.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
But really impeachment is politics with a veneer of law, not justice.
Yeah, but its also literally the only way to hold a president accountable outside of an election. I'll bet mitch is doing a lot of talking to his party, if they do vote to remove then it means the republican party has decided to divorce itself from the trump name, if not then they will still probably get the trump voter base but will have to deal with him or his children in the future.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A video that helps understand what is being charged and what some myths about the impeachment and removal.

Reactions: CM156

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So in some fun new impeachment news. By this point we know that a couple of attorneys that were assisting trump against the impeachment have left and now we just found out who is replacing them.

The new lawyers are David Schoen and Bruce Caster. Now those names probably aren't familiar because who remembers the names of lawyers in cases but they both have some interesting history. Schoen previously represented Rodger Stone.

Caster is the more... lets say interesting. He is a former Pennsylvania district attorney, known for his decision not to prosecute Bill Cosby in 2005 after Bill was accused of sexual assault. Then in 2017 he also sued Cosby's accuser for defamation, claiming that she destroyed his political career in retaliation.

So yeah, they fit trump to a T.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So in some fun new impeachment news. By this point we know that a couple of attorneys that were assisting trump against the impeachment have left and now we just found out who is replacing them.

The new lawyers are David Schoen and Bruce Caster. Now those names probably aren't familiar because who remembers the names of lawyers in cases but they both have some interesting history. Schoen previously represented Rodger Stone.

Caster is the more... lets say interesting. He is a former Pennsylvania district attorney, known for his decision not to prosecute Bill Cosby in 2005 after Bill was accused of sexual assault. Then in 2017 he also sued Cosby's accuser for defamation, claiming that she destroyed his political career in retaliation.

So yeah, they fit trump to a T.

I mean, when a substantial amount of your legal team walks out on you, I guess you take what you can get. I would imagine that would merit some self reflection but let's be honest here, this is Trump. Self Reflection isn't something he does, unless it's to cover himself in gold so he can be shinier.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I mean, when a substantial amount of your legal team walks out on you, I guess you take what you can get. I would imagine that would merit some self reflection but let's be honest here, this is Trump. Self Reflection isn't something he does, unless it's to cover himself in gold so he can be shinier.
I am now imagining Trump doing the Shiny song from Moana.

Alternatively, Goldmember, tho with the caveat that I'd prefer his unfortunate smelting accident be full body.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Doesn't matter. Trump doesn't need a lawyer. He just needs to send a diarrhoeal dog to shit each and every Republican senator a steaming turd, and ~45 of them will duly eat their faecal meal as directed and clear him.

If Trump also has time to train a monkey to wank some jizz out onto the Congressional Seal, all the better for him too.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Doesn't matter. Trump doesn't need a lawyer. He just needs to send a diarrhoeal dog to shit each and every Republican senator a steaming turd, and ~45 of them will duly eat their faecal meal as directed and clear him.

If Trump also has time to train a monkey to wank some jizz out onto the Congressional Seal, all the better for him too.
I mean, I know you're right. He could go to the senate and person and rant about space lizards eating his votes for 2 hours and it wouldn't change anything. Almost everyone willing to do anything about it has abandoned or been drummed out of the party. The rest are just "Thank you. May I have another?" at this point.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The second impeachment is over, trump was acquitted by a vote of 57 guilty to 43 not guilty. This wasn't really an unexpected event, but this is still the most bipartisan impeachment vote ever, but not the 63 needed for impeachment.