Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eh, personally I've never really liked the Joker that much. He's just too extra for my tastes. When he's trying to espouse some kind of philosophy, it's riddled with bullshit, and when he's not, he's just "tee hee, killing and being crazy is FUN!" And I have very little patience for that. Though, frankly, I have almost zero tolerance for mental disorders as super powers/personas in comic books in the first place. Him and Harley Quinn, and the fanbase's obsessive love of them, just bothers me on so many levels. I much prefer far more mentally fucking stable villains, who can articulate an actual ethos, and world view, that isn't founded in batshittery and chemical imbalance.

It's actually kind of depressing how many villains in comics, Batman especially, are basically just mental case studies, given a cheesy gimmick and a name, and just tossed out into Gotham to do shit. At least villains like Mr. Freeze (from the cartoon at least), have a motivation that you can at least understand, if not condone.
Funnily enough, you know my actual favorite Batman villains? Clayface (specifically the one as imagined by the DCAU where Clayface was an actor who got overdosed on an addictive plastic surgery medicine) because good god it's Lon Chaney as a shapeshifter going full Count of Monte Cristo, and Ras al Ghul because he is essentially a dark reflection of Batman (and indeed, that's why he wants Batman to be his successor)...and because I just like legitimately charismatic villains who are dangerous because have actually earned the undying loyalty (rather than fear) of the organizations they're using for their despicable ends.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's actually kind of depressing how many villains in comics, Batman especially, are basically just mental case studies, given a cheesy gimmick and a name, and just tossed out into Gotham to do shit. At least villains like Mr. Freeze (from the cartoon at least), have a motivation that you can at least understand, if not condone.
It's why my mom loves Batman and his rogues gallery so much. She's a nurse that took plenty of psychology classes. Her favorite Joker is Nicholson and Heathledger. Everyone in my family is a big Joker fan, though the only villain my brother loves more than the Joker is Mr. Freeze, but not for the exact right reasons. He gets Mr. Freeze, but he loves him for his rage and anger. My brother had some anger problems, but he's calmed down a lot compared to his teenage years and his twenties. He loves angry characters: Raphael, Oscar the Grouch, the Grinch, Eddy, Buttercup, Ryoko (though she never gets that angry unless if it involves Ayeka), Asura, Sailor Mars or Jupiter, Wolverine, and Scorpion.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

3 Days for a trailer? Come on just drop it already. We still have until March to see this movie.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Got to build up that false hype. Make people go crazy. Don't fall for it.
I mean I'll see the trailer when it comes out in three days, but not gonna be frothing in the mouth to see it.

I'm doing that for gameplay of Warhammer 3 Total War.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Joss Whedon looks like fuckin' Bigfoot from the 80s film.

This is probably not relevant to the thread, but I didn't think it deserved it's own one (though maybe it did) and this is the closest I could get.

It's been really bothering me lately. Great big fuckin' Bigfoot face right there and no one's called the park ranger.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So, new trailer out. Nothing really new except Steppenwolf's voice and of course what seems like Joker Batman team up. I still think he looks like shit, but Leto at the very least doesn't sound terrible. The team up I think is also a great way to show just how apocalyptic the situation is, so this trailer actually piqued my interest.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So, new trailer out. Nothing really new except Steppenwolf's voice and of course what seems like Joker Batman team up. I still think he looks like shit, but Leto at the very least doesn't sound terrible. The team up I think is also a great way to show just how apocalyptic the situation is, so this trailer actually piqued my interest.

Meh. Still not invested.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So I watched the trailer. Can someone explain to me the point of this movie? The DCEU is all but dead, Wonder Woman is the only passable character they have and her last movie was a bomb. What's the point of a 4 hour cut of a 4 year old movie? Just to show it could have been good with an additional year of production, a few extra million and 2 more hours of run time? Like does anyone think Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill will be rehired and come back and this will get the DCEU back on track?

It almost feels like a spiteful vanity project. This is Zack Snyder dunking of WB for being shitty to him over his daughter's death, which fair enough, but this is a lot of work for a 4 hour long 'Fuck you'.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
So I watched the trailer. Can someone explain to me the point of this movie? The DCEU is all but dead, Wonder Woman is the only passable character they have and her last movie was a bomb. What's the point of a 4 hour cut of a 4 year old movie? Just to show it could have been good with an additional year of production, a few extra million and 2 more hours of run time? Like does anyone think Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill will be rehired and come back and this will get the DCEU back on track?

It almost feels like a spiteful vanity project. This is Zack Snyder dunking of WB for being shitty to him over his daughter's death, which fair enough, but this is a lot of work for a 4 hour long 'Fuck you'.
Again, there was a movement to get this Snyder Cut. A movement that I was shocked that it even existed. If I have to add my input into this, if the DCEU is dead as you say, then this will be the closing of the book. At least let it have its infinity War/EndGame esque movie that it deserves.

Also the reaction of people that insisted that there wasn't gonna be a Snyder Cut

The Egg on their face is delicious though

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011

Well, the movie obviously means a lot to him. He's been mostly a good sport about it but I reckon he's really frustrated with the theatrical version. And it was really nasty how they used his daughters death to destroy his work of multiple years.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
See I'm not convinced the DCEU deserves an Endgame level movie. DC the comics deserve a Marvel type cinematic universe, sure, but that's not what they got. They got a Universal Monster movie level universe. Endgame was what, the 26 or 27th Marvel movie. Justice league was the third. They didn't even wait for each character to get their own movie before throwing them all together in a cheap attempt to get Avengers level money, and it shows. The DCEU has always felt like the mockbuster knockoff of the MCU, not a proper DC inspired movie universe.
I'm all for the DCEU dying with dignity, but I would have preferred they just cancel the movies and shut the doors. This Frankenstein's monster of a movie assembled for corpses and magic isn't a dignified end, its the opposite. Even if its good it'll be more tragic than rewarding because it'll show there could have been potential but studio suits destroyed the DCEU.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I'm not convinced the DCEU deserves an Endgame level movie. DC the comics deserve a Marvel type cinematic universe, sure, but that's not what they got. They got a Universal Monster movie level universe. Endgame was what, the 26 or 27th Marvel movie. Justice league was the third. They didn't even wait for each character to get their own movie before throwing them all together in a cheap attempt to get Avengers level money, and it shows. The DCEU has always felt like the mockbuster knockoff of the MCU, not a proper DC inspired movie universe.
I'm all for the DCEU dying with dignity, but I would have preferred they just cancel the movies and shut the doors. This Frankenstein's monster of a movie assembled for corpses and magic isn't a dignified end, its the opposite. Even if its good it'll be more tragic than rewarding because it'll show there could have been potential but studio suits destroyed the DCEU.
I couldn't care about JL at this point, but I do care about Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Especially the former. I have not seen WW'84 yet, but I am excited for it regardless of differing opinions. I want my Aquaman 2 damn it! At least WB/DC are experimenting and doing there own thing now. So in a way, they still getting what they want, just in a different way or in alternative areas.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Well if there's anything I can say is that this movie might end up being a "Revenge of the Sith" type of movie.

The "best of the 3 movies, but still not good" type of thing?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Well if there's anything I can say is that this movie might end up being a "Revenge of the Sith" type of movie.

The "best of the 3 movies, but still not good" type of thing?
Dude, Revenge of the Sith was totally a good movie. Batman v Superman too, for the record. Hell, even Phantom Menace was only partially bad.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Dude, Revenge of the Sith was totally a good movie. Batman v Superman too, for the record. Hell, even Phantom Menace was only partially bad.
I do to, but sadly that's the mainstream consensus (best of the prequels, but still bad)

I personally think Phantom Menace was the absolute worse of the prequels, what thell are people smoking and fooling themselves into thinking Attack of the Clones is the worse one. But that's going a bit off topic.

And I still don't think BvS is the absolute worse thing ever, despite what the moviebobs of YouTube and the media like Screen Junkies have to say.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Phantom Menace to this day has the best lightsaber fight of the live action movies. Darth Maul was such an underused villain.
Batman vs. Superman was better than the critics gave it, but like the Justice League movie was obviously cut up and apart and stitched back together. Entire plot threads just came and went with no excuse or resolution. All the DC movies are like that. I remember in Suicide Squad at one point they're like "Oh yeah the plant monsters are afraid of Rick Flag" ...and they never explained why.

See that's why I don't feel the DCEU deserves a swan song movie. They really haven't earned it. They've all been rushed, committee designed hack jobs with no discipline for story or continuity. I don't even know which movies are still considered canon anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dude, Revenge of the Sith was totally a good movie.
Agreed. A 4/5. Episode I is a 3/5 and Episode II is a 2/5.

I remember in Suicide Squad at one point they're like "Oh yeah the plant monsters are afraid of Rick Flag" ...and they never explained why.
They weren't afraid; they were attracted to Rick Flag. The reason being, his girlfriend was possessed by Enchantress and some part of her was still in there. It did go somewhere, you just forgot.