Games that are bad (or everyone else hates) that you like.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
At least one of the BFs had that same kind of leaning, which I'm not a fan of. I like to be able to lean whenever I want and doing it even in the open is pretty useful as you can use it to correct your aim if you're just a little bit off without risk of over correcting plus you're "moving" making it just a bit tougher for the other player to hit you.

Blacklist is pretty damn awesome, the online could've been better though. I only played the 1st game before Blacklist so I had no attachment to Michael Ironside.
Have you played the rest since??
You speak big truthes. If they remastered it with just Michael Ironside replacing the other dude, I honestly would consider it the best of the series.
It's certainly up there. A bit less focused on what makes Splinter Cell itself, but more so than any offerings of the 360/PS3 generation before it. Chaos Theory IS Splinter Cell; Blacklist is "remember Splinter Cell?"

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
Probably the best description of it I've heard "just so charmingly earnest", and I agree entirely with what you've mentioned. That said, I don't think that I've heard that it's necessarily bad or disliked, rather it flew under damn near everyone's radar when it released despite the names behind it because of Skyrim.

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
Blacklist is easily the second best installment of the franchise, but when they ousted Michael Ironside as the iconic voice of Sam Fisher, franchise fans had had enough, and Blacklist never got a fair shake.
It's not like Ubisoft fired Ironside. He stepped away to deal with health problems, which I think involved cancer treatment.

I think it's popular to hate on due to a 10minute final conversation, but generally accepted it was a good actual game.
That final 10 minutes and pick-a-color ending was still enough to spoil the experience. I said once before that playing through the ME trilogy was like eating a really good candy bar when the final bite comes in the form of the ending, and it tastes like battery acid and AIDS.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
It's not like Ubisoft fired Ironside. He stepped away to deal with health problems, which I think involved cancer treatment.

That final 10 minutes and pick-a-color ending was still enough to spoil the experience. I said once before that playing through the ME trilogy was like eating a really good candy bar when the final bite comes in the form of the ending, and it tastes like battery acid and AIDS.
What a ridiculous analogy. If you'd said the final bite tasted stale, or like cardboard or somesuch, sure.

But I didn't accept the hyperbole about a disappointing finale then, and I still dont. 10 minutes of what, 40 hours? 100 plus if you count the trilogy? Might be a let down, but it only spoils the enjoyment you had with what came before if you decide it does.

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
What a ridiculous analogy. If you'd said the final bite tasted stale, or like cardboard or somesuch, sure.

But I didn't accept the hyperbole about a disappointing finale then, and I still dont. 10 minutes of what, 40 hours? 100 plus if you count the trilogy? Might be a let down, but it only spoils the enjoyment you had with what came before if you decide it does.
Consider for one second that whenever I think of ME3's ending I also remember what happened immediately after: That I went to the bathroom and shat blood.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

It would depend on whether you can see the problem and remove it for next time.... As I do with ME3 from the time of attack the Illusive Man’s base.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Have you met gamers? Are we known collectively for our rational behavior and realistic expectations? Have you met a more cynical group of people huddled around a hobby? The games between Chaos Theory and Blacklist featured a lot of drastic changes to the franchise, few of which landed well with fans. "No Ironside" in Blacklist was the final "difference" fans could take, so despite the wholly reasonable reason for his absence, it was taken as a slight, and fans made that known by all but (ironically) blacklisting Blacklist.

See what I mean about gamers' perceived irrationality? You let a 10 minute finale that left you wanting ruin dozens of hours of an incredible experience, then liken it to the taste of "battery acid and AIDS."

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Street Fighter V. Now even I didn't like the game at launch, but that's because they were selling a $60 beta, and the game was incomplete. So I did not buy it. I basically did not buy a copy until the Championship Edition came out, where they were already at season 4, and the game had finally been at a fully playable state.

After the updates and content updates, the game became actually fun. There was more to do than just the shitty story mode or playing online all the time. Yet people still hate on it for being "too easy", or the fact that moves are easier to pull off. Just because the moves are easier to pull off, doesn't make it less fun. I love SFIII, but it is super difficult. I play these games to have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
DragonAge II.

I’m told every respectable dragon age fan has to hate this game because it’s got less scope than Origins, you can’t choose your race, and that it doesn’t use tactical view.

Despite that, DragonAge II is fun to actually play because it’s voice acting means the PC doesn’t seem like an idiot mute, and it’s combat leans more into hack and slash and not the MMO but slow style of combat, I liked all of the companions bar Anders better than anyone in Origins who wasn’t Liliana.
Dragon Age II was a better Dragon Age game than Inquisition.

I also really liked how they handled the morality system in that game and it is a bummer that they never revisited the concept.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I'll just say it, Bioshock 2 is a great game. It was, fairly if unfortunately, compared to Bioshock 1, the best FPS of all time, and in that it fell short. But compared to other FPS, especially in today's day and age, its a masterpiece. If it came out last year it would have been a serious contender vs Doom Eternal, with the debate being between run/gun/fun madness, and dark atmospheric story telling and challenging gameplay.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dragon Age II was a better Dragon Age game than Inquisition.

I also really liked how they handled the morality system in that game and it is a bummer that they never revisited the concept.
I don't remember any of the DA games very well, as they didn't stand out as epic masterpieces to me, just decent games. But yeah, I think DA 2 was perfectly fine. I had fun playing it, and it was fun building ridiculous power combos for the various combats.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think it's popular to hate on due to a 10minute final conversation, but generally accepted it was a good actual game.
Kai Leng, 'nuff said.

But seriously, it wasn't a very good game even ignoring the ending. The main story was non sense, you try to get allies to build something that literally no one know what it does, not even the people who made the plan. Cerberus being the main antagonist made a mockery of the world building and belittle the reaper threat. The krokan and quarian arc was nice, but didn't really fit into the story (Krogan are useless versus an enemy that's mostly made up of giant spaceship and Quarian have lots of ship but they can't be used in combat, case in point they were getting their ass kicked by Geth who are much much much weaker than reaper).

Gameplay was fine, nice refinement on ME2 gameplay, but it wasn't enough to salvage the game.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Kai Leng, 'nuff said.

But seriously, it wasn't a very good game even ignoring the ending. The main story was non sense, you try to get allies to build something that literally no one know what it does, not even the people who made the plan. Cerberus being the main antagonist made a mockery of the world building and belittle the reaper threat. The krokan and quarian arc was nice, but didn't really fit into the story (Krogan are useless versus an enemy that's mostly made up of giant spaceship and Quarian have lots of ship but they can't be used in combat, case in point they were getting their ass kicked by Geth who are much much much weaker than reaper).

Gameplay was fine, nice refinement on ME2 gameplay, but it wasn't enough to salvage the game.
Pretty much all of this.

I had a really hard time buying that Cerebus is a terrorist group that nobody can find in ME1/ME2, and then in ME3 they're everywhere and have fleets and armies all over the damn place. No, you can't pull this shit. If they're big enough to be a major threat, they're big enough for intel agencies to trace the logistic trails back to them and shut them down. If they're small enough not to be noticed, they can't pull fleets out of their asses like it was nothing.

And of course, the whole "We're placing all our faith in a big black box we found plans of in ancient ruins but nobody knows what it does but we're gonna build it anyway because and we're gonna add improvements as well". If you don't know what it does, how do you improve the damn thing under ideal conditions, let alone in the middle of a major war?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Pretty much all of this.

I had a really hard time buying that Cerebus is a terrorist group that nobody can find in ME1/ME2, and then in ME3 they're everywhere and have fleets and armies all over the damn place. No, you can't pull this shit. If they're big enough to be a major threat, they're big enough for intel agencies to trace the logistic trails back to them and shut them down. If they're small enough not to be noticed, they can't pull fleets out of their asses like it was nothing.

And of course, the whole "We're placing all our faith in a big black box we found plans of in ancient ruins but nobody knows what it does but we're gonna build it anyway because and we're gonna add improvements as well". If you don't know what it does, how do you improve the damn thing under ideal conditions, let alone in the middle of a major war?
If logistics trails are such a big deal why do the Blue Suns, Eclipse and Blood Pack have the force projection they do? I’ve been playing Mass Effect 3 recently - as in for the past five hours - and I’ve counted about twenty Cerberus ships, and most of them are based off Alliance designs so I’m guessing a few were acquired through decommissioning yards, and once they took Omega - and all its resources - getting the rest isn’t that hard based on the settings fabrication technology; and hey they’ve already got a secret shipyard from building the SR2 so that needs to justify itself. And of course there’s the distinct possibility that they did all of this in the Terminus systems - well outside the jurisdiction of the Citadel Council, never mind the Systems Alliance.

As for people, they’ve been funnelling them in from Sanctuary and they’ve been recruiting volunteers. The biggest attack Cerberus try is the Citadel coup and they needed Councillor Udina’s help to do that. Shepard and co. put a stop to it quickly but I have no doubt C-Sec and some reservists from the Turian navy and naval infantry would have arrived to wipe the chucklefucks out in fairly short order.

Everything else they’ve done has been small, commando style raids with infantry and light armour against either soft targets (Grissom Academy, Benning, Noveria, etc) or harder ones in either highly contested areas like Tuchunka or ones already compromised by enemy agents (Sur’kesh, Mars Archives) to give them an in.

The Cerberus from Mass Effect 2 is easy to see shifting into the Cerberus of Mass Effect 3. It’s the small cabal of mad scientists of Mass Effect 1 turning of into the para-military human supremacist group that rebuilt the Normandy and raised Shepard from the dead of Mass Effect 2 that deserves scrutiny. But Mass Effect 2 is the darling child of the series so let’s not question it.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Splinter Cell: ConViction - After Double Agent which(atleast on PC) was terrible, i expected nothing but the franchise going down the drain. But lo behold, Conviction, while feeling different from traditional SCs, was probably the best Bourne Simulator i played. And a quite fun stealth game on its own, despite of rather weak first couple of levels.

Hitman: Absolution - another departure from a classic stealth game franchise. Before i explain why, let me add an addendum here: Lots of my goodwill is due to hindsight - i played it after HITMAN(2016) already came out, so i knew it was a one-time side affair, not a new direction for the franchise. While lots of the levels are very un-hitmanny, it also felt like the most polished, QOL improved Hitman so far. Square Enix's money were a double edged blade after all.
The story, while not great, has a degree of shlock to it that makes it amusing(Luchador 47, why not?). Overally it's fun, if barely replayable.

Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days - Yes. Another title from IOIs porftolio. And for 5 bucks i paid for it, it's a decent short third person shooter that doesn't overstay its welcome. It feels like playing a grimy, exploitative, action B movie. I get the hate it got due to tone, unlikeable-by-design characters, shaky cam/glitch aesthetics, short campaign and people being overally tired with grayish-brown "realistic" shooters by the time it came out(?), but for what it was worth i had fun.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
(looks at the thread)

guys why are there not many bad games, only games people were mixed on. Let's talk about a bad game very few people will go to the mat.

Mega Man X7: Played this game when I marathon all the Mega Man games (the only ones I haven't played yet are ZX advent, (will get to it soon) the legends games((not on switch)) and the Gameboy games((I don't feel like it))). Mega Man X7 is seen as one of the worst series. It's super slow, is graphically terrible, the save reploids stuff can die in a fire, levels can be poorly designed and the voice acting is... well

but for some reason, I have a weird love for it. Maybe it's because I played a lot of Jank games as a kid but the game has a weird charm to me. It's like The Room of video games. In fact, I like it better than X3 (super boring) or X6 (just unfair).

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan