Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Excessive desaturation has been a hallmark of the Snyder aesthetic since 300. Fucker even made Watchmen look washed out for some reason, despite how vivid the colours in the original comic were.
Yeah, but even the Watchmen movie had contrast, this just looks like a grey smear.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I never really saw Watchmen the comic as a very "good looking" comic book with its art.

I always thought it was a bit on the ugly side of things.
Thems' fighting words.

When people praise Watchmen, they usually talk about writing, which is fair, but they really sleep on the visual style.
80s colour palette might not be to everyone's liking, but the style and composition in that comic book is top notch, and plays to the strengths of the medium amazingly. Dave Gibbons deserves as much credit as Moore, for the stellar job he did.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I have been tempted to check out the black and white version of Fury Road, but I can't say the movie as is has left me wanting visually in any regard, so if it ain't broke...
In all honesty, the black and white version of Fury Road detracts just a little bit from the color version. Not enough to make it a bad movie but just enough to be a lesser movie.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And they only care about Heath Ledger and Joaquin Pheonix Joker.

Imagine either of them looking like this.
I mean the Joker is somewhat of a giant troll so him dressed as Jesus Christ kinda seems at least slightly on brand for him with his whole trolling / screwing with people approach to stuff.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I mean the Joker is somewhat of a giant troll so him dressed as Jesus Christ kinda seems at least slightly on brand for him with his whole trolling / screwing with people approach to stuff.
Yeah but there are so many meta levels to that kind of imagery, outside of just the character deciding "i should look like jesus" Is it Zack being a troll to the various critics of Leto's Joker from the other movie? that he's been "crucified" by the fans? Is it Leto just being a weird fucker because he's Jared Leto? Is it Zack trolling the fans for shitting on his "masterpiece" ? There are more reasons outside of the actual comic universe that I can think of why that would be a look the Joker would adopt, that have nothing to do with the story. The LAST reason I would think is that the Joker, would legit think that was a proper way to look for any context, given how he usually rolls

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Leto Joker was deeply deeply teenaged, so this is more or less in character.
Eh, honestly I don't really have a problem with the design of Joker in SS. I mean his entire original look is based on the fashion styles from back when he was first introduced. There's no actual reason, other than brand recognition, that a "modern" joker, would still be walking around in a suit and tophat or whatever.

So the idea of him being this inked up, urban tough, that thrills on intentionally making his victims unnerved, by doing things like holding up a smiling tattoo in front of his face, so he's hiding his real expression behind a mask (which is what clown paint has always implied anyway). I thought it worked well overall. Him dressed like a meat packer in an apron with a thorn crown just seems, well, silly. I'm expecting the shot to pan out, and it to really be he's on some sound stage, in some avantgarde photo shoot or something, for an Italian photographer named Bertoli Armando Pierre III. Not actually, you know, being legit scary.

You know honestly what it reminds me of, is a photo I posed for as a teenager, for a girl I was attracted to, who was an amateur photographer. She had me put on a crown of thorns, and lay out upside down on the hood of a car, shirtless, arms out JUST like that. So I don't take this seriously at all. I just think "wow, he looks like he's trying way too hard." My only real question is are we supposed to think it's the Joker acting like this? Or if it's just a fluff piece and it's mostly just Zack/Leto. I guess there is little difference, as they are collaborating on the design. But, it just feels more like real world shit, than something genuine to the character.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Big DC comics fan. But the theatrical release of Justice League was such a load of dross that I have very little enthusiasm for this. If this is to be so much better, it has to be almost unrecognisable in story, in tone, in pacing.

There was so much wrong with that movie; a relentlessly grey and colourless, overlong slog, featuring characters we care little about because most of them haven't previously been introduced, fighting an utterly forgettable and indistinct villain with a cliché plan.

I just don't understand why DC decided to sign him onto a multiple-film contract when he'd previously done... 2 comic book films, neither of which were particularly special, and one of which is fairly bad in a few ways. Why place so much trust up-front? Why not wait for him to make one film before you chain yourself to him for several?

That... is so very try-hard.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Big DC comics fan. But the theatrical release of Justice League was such a load of dross that I have very little enthusiasm for this. If this is to be so much better, it has to be almost unrecognisable in story, in tone, in pacing.

There was so much wrong with that movie; a relentlessly grey and colourless, overlong slog, featuring characters we care little about because most of them haven't previously been introduced, fighting an utterly forgettable and indistinct villain with a cliché plan.

I just don't understand why DC decided to sign him onto a multiple-film contract when he'd previously done... 2 comic book films, neither of which were particularly special, and one of which is fairly bad in a few ways. Why place so much trust up-front? Why not wait for him to make one film before you chain yourself to him for several?

That... is so very try-hard.
Eh in the world of comics, they have been plenty guilty of try-hard shit that I'm used to this.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Member when Marilyn Manson was cool?

Also, i wonder how Zack(or rather his fans) will try to justify having two Christ-like figures in the movie.
Pretty sure it will be an anti-christ "i'm your dark mirror" bullshit or something. Or it's just a promotional image to stir the pot of chatter, and the film Joker won't have any such imagery to him. This whole thing is ridiculous so who knows.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I still love how he's missing his dumbass tattoo, and all Snyder has to say is "I don’t know if he’s wearing makeup, I don’t know what’s happening. It’s hard to say exactly."

Jesus Christ (heh) man, just fucking say it. We all know it looked dumb, no one liked it, and you all decided to remove it.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I am mostly getting pissed at how much pointless faux-imagery there is there, as if Justice League won't be anything but a traditional superhero movie with an unusually bad case of washed out colors and smash cuts. Why is Batman portrayed as a martyr? Why is Wonder Woman posed like a medieval knight painting? Does anybody really care that Snyder has a massive hard on the size of Manhattan for Superman-as-Jesus allegory? Why is the Flash posed in a crucified pose on a clock with a Caduceus beside him? And who thought it was a good idea to have Aquaman sitting down in a passive pose that only makes him look bored instead of something more dynamic?

I am getting Sucker Punch vibes all over again, with its overwrought imagery and "icons" that turned out to have no actual bearing on the actual plot, mental state of the protagonist or anything else beside Snyder thinking it was really cool to combine WW1/2 aesthetics with miniskirts and mechas. The sooner this thing flops, the sooner we can bury the idea that Snyder has any greater artistic vision with Justice League.
Next month can't come soon enough.

I never really cared for Sucker Punch though.