Beta Feedback Thread

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
If we make a political off-topic forum, that pretty much negates the Current Events subforum. It'd be the same thing with a very strict rule-set, and to be quite honest, we just don't have the manpower to moderate another whole subforum of politically charged topics between Current Events and this new subforum you're suggesting.

We're being lenient in most cases right now on the Current Events stuff. I let some threads go today that brought up interesting subjects with reputable sources that weren't just CNN, or whatever.
Then replace Current Events with R&P. Sounds like a simple solution to the problem of not having enough manpower to add a new sub-forum. Who even asked for the "must need a news source" current-events forum anyway? What problem was it trying to solve?

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Then replace Current Events with R&P. Sounds like a simple solution to the problem of not having enough manpower to add a new sub-forum. Who even asked for the "must need a news source" current-events forum anyway? What problem was it trying to solve?
The R&P subforum on old Escapist was closed via an order from the top of the food chain aka our parent company. Current Events replaced that to make things more organized and less hostile as those discussions often got very heated. We're really trying to mitigate any and all risk right now, that's why anyone that mentions GG in their profile is banned, etc. Especially with the Indie Showcase coming up, we don't need any controversies propping up and a lot of that seemed to come from the old R&P forum.

That being said, once this showcase is done in June, we can take a look at this and see what we can open it up to. I don't want to stifle discussion obviously, I think most people here can handle themselves and we'll get rid of the bad apples, but we also don't want to just open the floodgates on that stuff.

Let us think about it and we'll get back to it. For right now, if there's something "questionable" just message the mods first and we'll tell you one way or the other. I think everyone reasonably knows what we're obviously not going to allow here using their best judgment, but if it's questionable, just message the mods.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't know if this has been addressed but this thread is super long and I don't want to read it all so apologies in advance if it has been :D

There are times when news articles look like this for the comments

1590535712893.png

rather than Discus like others. Is this supposed to be happening? I don't see why Discus would be used on some items and not on other items. For reference, this is the Dead by Daylight Silent Hill article that I wish to comment on as DBD rules and Silent Hill rules and I wish to tell everyone in the comments how much both those items rule.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I don't know if this has been addressed but this thread is super long and I don't want to read it all so apologies in advance if it has been :D

There are times when news articles look like this for the comments

View attachment 154

rather than Discus like others. Is this supposed to be happening? I don't see why Discus would be used on some items and not on other items. For reference, this is the Dead by Daylight Silent Hill article that I wish to comment on as DBD rules and Silent Hill rules and I wish to tell everyone in the comments how much both those items rule.
Thanks for sharing that. We've noticed that bug, not sure why Disqus isn't loading on some articles. Are you on mobile or desktop in checking that article?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for sharing that. We've noticed that bug, not sure why Disqus isn't loading on some articles. Are you on mobile or desktop in checking that article?
Desktop (Chrome browser)

I just checked it on Mobile and Disqus is present

EDIT: It is now working on PC. I assume you did something to make that happen but if you did not, it fixed itself.

Last edited:

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Desktop (Chrome browser)

I just checked it on Mobile and Disqus is present

EDIT: It is now working on PC. I assume you did something to make that happen but if you did not, it fixed itself.
Yea sorry didn't do anything to fix it, might have something to do with the new caching they're doing on our backend to speed up the site more. We're working on a bunch of tech stuff atm.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Minor bug report:

My Avatar seems to not want to stay put. I can move it to be more centred but then it moves right back again a minute or two later lol

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Can we get rid of the emotes? I mean the thumbs up is ok but users are already using the 'haha' one to troll people and its annoying. I've done it a couple of times too in response but I'm already sick of doing it, lets just get rid of them.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Can we get rid of the emotes? I mean the thumbs up is ok but users are already using the 'haha' one to troll people and its annoying. I've done it a couple of times too in response but I'm already sick of doing it, lets just get rid of them.
Got a vote for this one myself. I know it was made with good intentions, but I have seen it be used passive aggressively by certain users. Users that can play ignorant and pretend they're not doing it with that intention, but when the laughing emote is almost always used towards particular users and basically nobody else, it's pretty obvious. It's like those little brats that keep doing something that bugs someone else to the very limits of what they're capable getting away with and saying "But I'm nooooooot!" before they cross the line and the parent steps in.

It'd be hard to put a rule to it too, cause it's so specific of a thing. "Don't use the laughing emote to troll"? That'd be weird. Likes are fine. Otherwise, meh

Last edited:

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Oh, so that's why I'm seeing that ROFL emoji spammed on posts everywhere, where it doesn't really make sense. Trust people to find new ways of being passive-aggressive.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
+1 for removing the reactions. I would have reacted to a previous comment making the same request, but that would have gone against the spirit of the thing.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A bit ridiculous that people are abusing that, but removed for now.
Cool, thanks. Maybe we can collectively figure out an emote system that is more difficult to be passive aggressive with, but considering how seemingly innocuous emotes are used on twitch that seems somewhat unlikely.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Cool, thanks. Maybe we can collectively figure out an emote system that is more difficult to be passive aggressive with, but considering how seemingly innocuous emotes are used on twitch that seems somewhat unlikely.
If I have to scold people for abusing emotes that's gonna be one of the lowest points of my career lol.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Just to say.

Disagree. Leave up the emotes.

Just because they're not being passive aggressive in the way you personally enjoy exploiting, Worgen, doesn't make it any less entertaining to see.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Just to say.

Disagree. Leave up the emotes.

Just because they're not being passive aggressive in the way you personally enjoy exploiting, Worgen, doesn't make it any less entertaining to see.
The problem is that if I call the person doing it a "passive aggressive piece of shit who deserves to be throat punched" then I get in trouble. Besides, the code of conduct specifically say no trolling, so if emotes are being used to troll, why should they be allowed or should we set up a system that lets users report emote usage?

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I'm running into trouble with some of my posts and editing resulting in errors when I try to preview them or post. I figured it was character count but I'm running into the issue when attempting to update other posts that before fell under the post count (I'm removing content and adding in smaller more succinct content but it's not working).

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I'm running into trouble with some of my posts and editing resulting in errors when I try to preview them or post. I figured it was character count but I'm running into the issue when attempting to update other posts that before fell under the post count (I'm removing content and adding in smaller more succinct content but it's not working).
I have had this problem too, especially when quoting articles that have links, and sometimes it helps to remove those, but it happens other times as well. I often just wind up making a new post instead.

Reactions: Anti-American Eagle

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That already happened it seems, and I was wondering where they went because the last couple days I’ve wanted to specifically laugh at a comment (because it was more funny than anything else) but only the thumbs up is available now.

Thanks. I usually don't mind them, but if people are using them to be pathetic, remove them.
I think it would’ve been a compromise to have a quota on them so any of them could only be used a certain number of times per day or something vs getting rid of them completely. If people are too immature to exercise discretion then maybe they could be given a warning or a penalty of not being able to use them for a few days. The issue could correct itself pretty well automatically.

I guess my main point is it’s a lot easier to leave a footnote to some posts than have to bloat up replies with merely something like “lol” or what have you. Maybe even just the laughing one would be enough, as the others mostly seemed pointless, or I could never use them effectively without adding more context in an actual reply anyway. Like the angry face or surprised, etc.

Last edited: