Not open for further replies.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
We've been extremely lenient on the bans and warned Houseman more than a few times to chill on the conspiracy theories and trolling. Nobody on the mod team is stalking him outside of the forums lol. Nobody got time for that.

He was on thin ice with me after the avatar change a couple months ago, I don't even remember what it was now, but it wasn't good. We banned him then, and then I unbanned him in good faith and he continued doing exactly what he had been doing before. He also made his trolling abundantly clear when he's engaged in every political thread and has never voted by his own admission.
I don't think anybody here is disputing the ban.

Personally I'd just like it if there was some indication a user was banned, and also a link to the offending post and a reason given would be nice. It would head off threads like this. Surely it's possible to automatically replace a user's title with the word BANNED when they are banned, or something to that effect.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
We've been extremely lenient on the bans and warned Houseman more than a few times to chill on the conspiracy theories and trolling. Nobody on the mod team is stalking him outside of the forums lol. Nobody got time for that.

He was on thin ice with me after the avatar change a couple months ago, I don't even remember what it was now, but it wasn't good. We banned him then, and then I unbanned him in good faith and he continued doing exactly what he had been doing before. He also made his trolling abundantly clear when he's engaged in every political thread and has never voted by his own admission.
Thank you for taking the time and explaining this to us all.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Can you link to it? I'd just like to see what he actually said.
I believe it was this one, but the rest of his posts further into the thread didn't do him any favours and compounded the marks against him on top of this example I linked. All a collective whole rather than just a singular post, if that makes sense

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I believe it was this one, but the rest of his posts further into the thread didn't do him any favours and compounded the marks against him on top of this example I linked. All a collective whole rather than just a singular post, if that makes sense
Thank you.

Hmmm, as far as offensive posts go, that was really, really tame. There wasn't any explicit racism or sexism. He called a woman on a youtube video fat and said she looked like an scripted unpaid intern. That's nothing. If that sort of thing is too much for the Escapist's delicate sensibilities then I really hope everyone stays away from a really awful show called Zero Punctuation. The creator on that show says all sorts of profane bile on a weekly basis, he even once said he felt that Hitler was right!

I was really hoping that it'd be something shockingly bad that I could grudgingly agree with, but it wasn't at all. It wasn't the nicest thing he could have said, but it was about some random developer in a youtube video. If he'd said it to an Escapist user or contributor then yeah, ban him, but the chances of that developer ever coming to the forums and reading his post is next to zero. That is the way the forum moderation has always worked in the past. Frankly, what I see from that thread is a bunch of people who don't like B-Cell using a slightly non-pc post to put words in his mouth and get him banned. He is clearly and painfully ESL so it's easy for him to say things in a manner he may not have intended and even easier for someone who doesn't like him to twist his words further into something offensive, and he doesn't have a good enough grasp of the language to defend himself.

The things people have said to and about B-Cell in his threads have been far more worthy of mod wrath than anything that B-Cell said in that thread. I would say that I'm surprised at the Escapist community, but I'm not, I'm just disappointed. I've seen this behavior many times over the years. People will pick an acceptable target, and every time they post will pick apart their comment and leave passive aggressive insults until they get fed up, lash out and get banned. Well, B-Cell didn't even do that. The way B-Cell was treated, in general, made me lose respect for a number of users that seem to consider themselves progressive, empathetic, and virtuous.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Thank you.

Hmmm, as far as offensive posts go, that was really, really tame. There wasn't any explicit racism or sexism. He called a woman on a youtube video fat and said she looked like an scripted unpaid intern. That's nothing. If that sort of thing is too much for the Escapist's delicate sensibilities then I really hope everyone stays away from a really awful show called Zero Punctuation. The creator on that show says all sorts of profane bile on a weekly basis, he even once said he felt that Hitler was right!

I was really hoping that it'd be something shockingly bad that I could grudgingly agree with, but it wasn't at all. It wasn't the nicest thing he could have said, but it was about some random developer in a youtube video. If he'd said it to an Escapist user or contributor then yeah, ban him, but the chances of that developer ever coming to the forums and reading his post is next to zero. That is the way the forum moderation has always worked in the past. Frankly, what I see from that thread is a bunch of people who don't like B-Cell using a slightly non-pc post to put words in his mouth and get him banned. He is clearly and painfully ESL so it's easy for him to say things in a manner he may not have intended and even easier for someone who doesn't like him to twist his words further into something offensive, and he doesn't have a good enough grasp of the language to defend himself.

The things people have said to and about B-Cell in his threads have been far more worthy of mod wrath than anything that B-Cell said in that thread. I would say that I'm surprised at the Escapist community, but I'm not, I'm just disappointed. I've seen this behavior many times over the years. People will pick an acceptable target, and every time they post will pick apart their comment and leave passive aggressive insults until they get fed up, lash out and get banned. Well, B-Cell didn't even do that. The way B-Cell was treated, in general, made me lose respect for a number of users that seem to consider themselves progressive, empathetic, and virtuous.
Are you familiar with the concept of 'The straw that broke the camel's back'? Because that's what his ban seemed to be. An accumulation of warnings and other threats of sanction to get his shit together and stop being a prat. He refused, and he was shown the fuckin' door because the house decided he'd outstayed his welcome.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
While we're on the subject, did Zontar get banned or did he fuck off back to 8chan or whatever? I haven't seen his happy ass around here for quite a while.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Thank you.

I rather take the view that lots of small offences add up to a big one, and mods can eventually draw a line after so many and say that's enough.

You cannot speak and act without giving something of yourself away, and potentially more than you intended. If someone repeatedly litters their comments with little digs and denigrations, people notice. They can get away with one, two, maybe more, but eventually people will notice these patterns / trends and draw the conclusions: and they're usually right. If you're getting warnings, you need to take a look at the sorts of things you're saying and reflect carefully. Or not give a toss, and accept peer criticism and potentially forum bans.

While we're on the subject, did Zontar get banned or did he fuck off back to 8chan or whatever? I haven't seen his happy ass around here for quite a while.
He was banned, unbanned (with I think a completely clear slate), racked up a load more pips on his health meter, but I think ultimately departed voluntarily.

Topaz

Surprise Mechanic
Legacy
Mar 31, 2020
Personally I'd just like it if there was some indication a user was banned, and also a link to the offending post and a reason given would be nice.
That's what the old board did, and it came with its own set of problems.

The way the old forum software would fixate on the final post that got someone banned, often meant that it obfuscated the rest of their missteps prior to that.
More times than I could shake a stick at, we had people make the comment "Oh, that's not ban-worthy!" when looking at the final post in complete isolation, and ignoring the established pattern of behavior leading up to that point.
In some cases, not a single infraction (when viewed alone) might be considered "ban-worthy". But the line has to be drawn somewhere, when a clear pattern of underhanded rudeness, inflammatory commentary, or bad-faith posting starts to emerge.

The new forum software takes things to the other extreme when a user is banned. The user in question is notified and informed of the reasoning of course, but from the perspective of 3rd-party onlookers there's little indication that anything has happened at all.

I'm not sure which option is best, as they both have their pros and cons. Perhaps the answer is neither, or something in between.
But with the way V2 is at least, there does seem to be less of a backlash from random users after somebody is banned, and fewer examples of 'armchair moderators' critiquing moderation decisions.
Could there be more transparency? Perhaps. But the argument can also be made that a forum ban is really nobody else's business other than between the ban-ee and the forum staff.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
That's what the old board did, and it came with its own set of problems.

The way the old forum software would fixate on the final post that got someone banned, often meant that it obfuscated the rest of their missteps prior to that.
More times than I could shake a stick at, we had people make the comment "Oh, that's not ban-worthy!" when looking at the final post in complete isolation, and ignoring the established pattern of behavior leading up to that point.
In some cases, not a single infraction (when viewed alone) might be considered "ban-worthy". But the line has to be drawn somewhere, when a clear pattern of underhanded rudeness, inflammatory commentary, or bad-faith posting starts to emerge.

The new forum software takes things to the other extreme when a user is banned. The user in question is notified and informed of the reasoning of course, but from the perspective of 3rd-party onlookers there's little indication that anything has happened at all.

I'm not sure which option is best, as they both have their pros and cons. Perhaps the answer is neither, or something in between.
But with the way V2 is at least, there does seem to be less of a backlash from random users after somebody is banned, and fewer examples of 'armchair moderators' critiquing moderation decisions.
Could there be more transparency? Perhaps. But the argument can also be made that a forum ban is really nobody else's business other than between the ban-ee and the forum staff.
Well there is Resetera and it's infamy for banning people fresh into the forum for not fitting in under an ever shrinking bandwith of acceptable stances. But then again even Resetera's indoctrination can be contagious in my posts.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If people know what gets someone banned, they have a better understanding of what not to do to avoid being banned, though. Sure, the rules are written down, but how rules are applied is often not obvious.

The old forum had a rule about not being a jerk, which evidently didn't exclude calling for the extermination of all people living in Africa, for example, because that was Therumancer's political opinion, presumably.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Who else has noticed Drathnoxis has been banned?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, now I have. I wonder what happened.
Hopped over to Arnox' place, see if they showed up there with an explanation, and lo and behold, it was so. Anyway, says it was for spamming reports. The way B-Cell was treated doesn't sit well with them, so they went back through B-Cells history and flagged any post that insulted him.

EDIT: Welp, bluegate ninja'd me

Reactions: Dalisclock
Status
Not open for further replies.