Mortal Kombat Reboot

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah but, it DOESN'T pay off in the second film. Nothing about that first cameo of him had anything to do with him showing up in the second film. He doesn't comment about "hey the last time I saw you was on the boat! what the fuck happened!?" because remember MK:Annihilation started immediately after MK1. So Jax was just on a dock in..Australia I think? Wherever they were chasing Kano, and then....he's just...on a table in a lab in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, that Sonya somehow knows he's in, and he's just getting metal arms, no big deal. Nobody comments about "hey so, what the fuck happened with that magical boat shit? also where's kano?" Or "How the fuck did you end up here Jax!? Last I saw you just a few days ago was on a dock on regular earth. Seriously how did you end up in this suspicious lab getting fitted with arm enhancers?!" None of that happens. So effectively, the cameo in the first film, has ZERO payoff in the next film, because it's literally as if nothing in it happened, and had zero bearing on the current events. So again, I'd rather they didn't even bother with it. It did nothing for Jax's content in the next film, and might as well have never happened. So if THAT is what they plan on doing with Cage, I'd rather they didn't. Just save him for the next film, assuming this does well enough.
Dude! It's Mortal Kombat, not Citizen Kane.

Reactions: bluegate

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dude! It's Mortal Kombat, not Citizen Kane.
No shit, your point? Someone else commented that just because Jax is in the first film, that it's payoff for him in the second film. I was commenting about how it was BAD writing for the connective tissue of the second film.

You know, nevermind. If I try and actually try and explain my point, apparently you'll just make a comment like "lul, you used words and thoughts about something! hah!"

So fuck it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No shit, your point? Someone else commented that just because Jax is in the first film, that it's payoff for him in the second film. I was commenting about how it was BAD writing for the connective tissue of the second film.
I get your point and 100% agree with you. Though I did find Jax in Annihilation hilarious in a unique way. More so my older brother. He loves Annihilation unironically. Speaking of which...

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I get your point and 100% agree with you. Though I did find Jax in Annihilation hilarious in a unique way. More so my older brother. He loves Annihilation unironically. Speaking of which...

I have no problem with Jax being IN the second film. I just disagree with the other person that I was talking to, about how him just being in MK2, was somehow paying off the inclusion of him in MK1, when he was a non-character in that. And none of the events had anything to do with him showing up in second movie. Almost like..hmm...they were completely unconnected.

What annoys me is comments like "it's not citizen kane!" implies that apparently NO movie that isn't a good as citizen kane, is subject to quality writing. And frankly, nobody's fucking seen citizen kane. everybody hears it's a classic, but very few people have seen it. so i find name dropping it to be fairly tedious, particularly as some metric of quality, to a population, myself included, who have never bothered to see it.

I also find it annoying that in a DISCUSSION, I'm called out for fucking discussing something. With someone else I might add.

And yes, I am annoyed right now. Not entirely due to the previous comment, but it sure didn't fucking help.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What annoys me is comments like "it's not citizen kane!" implies that apparently NO movie that isn't a good as citizen kane, is subject to quality writing. And frankly, nobody's fucking seen citizen kane. everybody hears it's a classic, but very few people have seen it. so i find name dropping it to be fairly tedious, particularly as some metric of quality, to a population, myself included, who have never bothered to see it.
I saw it once....meh!. That was my reaction and never bothered with it again.

I also find it annoying that in a DISCUSSION, I'm called out for fucking discussing something. With someone else I might add.
Feel free to discuss it with me anytime on this particular topic. Also, I put the wrong video in my previous post. I fixed it. This was what I meant to post.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The basic concept of Mortal Kombat in any media is nothing more and nothing less than finding the thinnest of excuses to make a load of cardboard cut-outs fight each other. Mortal Kombat was a throwaway B-movie no-one expected anything from, certainly including a sequel (except it turned out better than expected). MK:A was substantially created by a different creative team in almost all key positions, including most of the actors - almost certainly because no-one expected they'd be making a sequel to keep them on retainer. Long and short, narrative consistency and character development would at best be an incidental extra.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Looks like they pretty much nailed Kabal’s hook look. Well, maybe that too.
One the one hand I think the director is giving us a bit too much of a soapy tit-wank using words like epic and stuff, but on the other hand I can't deny from at least the costume design and fight choreography effort that passion does exist in the project. So thumbs up there.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Mr Sunday Movies did a pretty hilarious respective on the original in response to the announcement of the sequel if anyones interested. skip to 14:45 for what I think is the funniest shit ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Mr Sunday Movies did a pretty hilarious respective on the original in response to the announcement of the sequel if anyones interested. skip to 14:45 for what I think is the funniest shit ever.

I think that description is unfair of the first movie.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think that description is unfair of the first movie.
It's a perfect description of the sequel, however.

It's a movie where Jax, a character with robotic arms, is presented with fake looking plastic robot sleeves.

Later in a climactic scene, his robot arm is ripped off revealing -- that they were, in fact, simply fake looking robot sleeves and he's actually stronger without them.

Like, were they serious?! How is that not a parody?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's a perfect description of the sequel, however.

It's a movie where Jax, a character with robotic arms, is presented with fake looking plastic robot sleeves.

Later in a climactic scene, his robot arm is ripped off revealing -- that they were, in fact, simply fake looking robot sleeves and he's actually stronger without them.

Like, were they serious?! How is that not a parody?
Its neither a hot or unpopular take to say that Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was fucking garbage. We knew it then, we knew it now.