What are you currently playing?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well I'm doing a full souls series replay so I can't skip it lol.
You can do anything you set your mind do; believe in yourself.

I know it's not the best in the series but it's still a good game.
No need for vulgarity.

And I think I pumped it up to 70something to get the fast rolls. Oh right forgot to mention I also have the gold ring and havel ring on to get fast rolls, in stuff I need a specific ring for like the lava areas or what have you I still am chonky cause I take the havel ring off.
Still, upgrade points get expensive, especially in NG+, nice work. I've never gotten a stat past its mid-to-late 40s, I think.

Reactions: Dalisclock

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I randomly decided to try Final Fantasy Brave Exvius War of the Visions.

I do wish this was just a standard FFT title. The art's nice, there seems to be a somewhat interesting story going on. But well, it's a lootbox and grind driven mobile game without proper level design or progression. I'm kinda just autobattling my way through the story to see what's up.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I've never played Final Fantasy 2 in detail, since the levelling system put me off pretty hard after about ten minutes. I've finished FF1 once, and while a lot of its mechanics are still kinda clunky even in the re-releases, I think it's overall pretty well-designed, and the dungeons can still give modern dungeons a run for their money. Definitely worth playing through 1 at least once if you're at all interested. PS1 version recommended, but honestly anything's cool.
I played FF2 in the Dawn of Souls version and while it's not AS painful as the NES version, it's still not very much fun. The "Learn by doing" thing is admirable in theory but it's really poorly executed and the best way to level is to abuse the system so much as to break it, and that's only the tip of the damn iceberg on this game.

Sadly, the game does has some cool bits, like the idea you're slowly pushing the empire back from the brink of total victory by foiling all their plans and then you kill the emperor, only for him to take over hell and come back stronger, so you have to go into hell itself to kill him for reals. Except it's an NES game so the plot doesn't go any deeper then what I just described. The GBA Dawn of Souls version has a bonus level version where all the dead characters end up in Heaven, except The Emperor took over that place too and also made it terrible and it's even harder then the main game.

I did it because I wanted to play all the classic games in the series(which I've failed because I've still yet to play FF8) and in retrospect I feel like I could have skipped it and not missed much as opposed to FF3, which I liked despite some of the shitty hard elements(such as the final dungeon).

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played FF2 in the Dawn of Souls version and while it's not AS painful as the NES version, it's still not very much fun. The "Learn by doing" thing is admirable in theory but it's really poorly executed and the best way to level is to abuse the system so much as to break it, and that's only the tip of the damn iceberg on this game.

Sadly, the game does has some cool bits, like the idea you're slowly pushing the empire back from the brink of total victory by foiling all their plans and then you kill the emperor, only for him to take over hell and come back stronger, so you have to go into hell itself to kill him. Except it's an NES game so the plot doesn't go any deeper then what I just described. The GBA Dawn of Souls version has a bonus level version where all the dead characters end up in Heaven, except The Emperor took over that place too and also made it terrible and it's even harder then the main game.

I did it because I wanted to play all the classic games in the series(which I've failed because I've still yet to play FF8) and in retrospect I feel like I could have skipped it and not missed much as opposed to FF3, which I liked despite some of the shitty hard elements(such as the final dungeon).
I have Dawn Of Souls. I played FF2 for like a couple hours and then I stopped and never touched it again.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Tokyo Extreme Racer or bust I say. Closest thing to a true Initial D game imo.
If I find it I'll get it, though I'm not familiar with Initial D other than that song from it that's like a meme.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've been playing a bit of the new Mortal Kombat with my cousin and kind of got the urge to check out a bit of the last Mortal Kombat game I bought, Mortal Kombat: Deception for the PS2. That game is such a load of jank. First off, why the heck are the profiles password locked? Why were they so concerned about the security of my Mortal Kombat profile? Am I supposed to be scared that my brother was going to use it and mess up my win/loss ratio or something? I'm lucky I actually wrote the password down in the manual like the game told me to, or it would be gone forever.

There are some really bizarre game modes in this one. Mortal Kombat Chess, where you kind of play a loose game of chess except you actually need to do combat for every time you try to take another piece, and yes, it's just as tedious as that sounds. Mortal Kombat Puzzle Kombat. It's a puzzle game, kind of like Doctor Mario except worse because you are entirely reliant on getting the proper dragon symbol to wipe out pieces or you're out of luck. It's bad.

Then there's the star of the show, Konquest mode! You run around desolate, empty areas, as dull ambient sounds play in the background. There are some NPCs scattered around that you can punch and sometimes they'll fall over in a spray of blood and sometimes they'll challenge you to a battle. You can also talk to them I discovered, but it's really actually very difficult. You need to mash X in front of them and sometimes it will register and you'll talk to them. I've never played a game where it was so difficult to get the talk button to register. I think it's supposed to be an adventure game of some sorts. I noticed a bunch of keys and items in my inventory. It sucks. I have vague memories of playing this for hours as a kid, running around opening treasure chests and generally being kind of bored. I seem to have made it to the third world, though.

Then there's the Krypt. Where you can trade in your hard earned Koins (of which there are 5 or 6 different colours) for such incredible prizes as concept art or... photos of the developers? I'll never understand who thinks crap like this is a reward.

I only spent an hour screwing around, but after that I was quite glad to put the game back on its shelf. The actual combat engine is decent enough and there's some spectacle to be had knocking characters off ledges and such, but the single player modes are incredibly lackluster and tedious. I think maybe someday I'd like to make it through Konquest mode so I could consider the game complete, but I just don't have the willpower at the moment.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished Rez . The best port of this game is the PS4 version now. This version has more bonus features, extra game modes, and VR support for those that are interested or have PSVR. It's been 20 years and this game is aged fine wine. I think Rez was one of the first games I played that used dynamic music in a 3D game. Let alone a rail shooter.

It goes to show that rail-shooters is a great genre and not just "mindless" shooting certain game critics and naysayers say a lot. Especially back in the 2000s. Not every game has to be "deep", "complex", or have a bunch of buttons to have "depth" in game play. Nothing but a bunch of superficial terms and buzzwords to sound smart. A lot of times it's fun to have a simple pick up and play game that keeps things straightforward yet is challenging and rewarding.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Probably for the best. Unless you really wanted to see the "Guy Speak Beaver" moment(Clearly the most iconic moment in Final Fantasy History).
I've played and I believe I have beaten FF2... but it was a mobile port on a Nokia phone. I honestly don't remember a damn thing about it, whether it was good, or bad or whatever. I'm not sure I even beaten it at this point.

But a big reason I would've put up with the game is because... it was on a Nokia phone. This was before I had a smartphone, and my phone didn't have an internet connection unless I wanted to pay for really absurd data charges. Play a bit in the car, on the toilet, wherever and I probably kinda just zoned out and beat it without caring too much cause I only played it in situations I literally had nothing better to do. Besides play other Nokia games... like Solitaire or Settlers of Catan vs AI. The Nokia Ovi store wasn't exactly a good time.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've played and I believe I have beaten FF2... but it was a mobile port on a Nokia phone. I honestly don't remember a damn thing about it, whether it was good, or bad or whatever. I'm not sure I even beaten it at this point.

But a big reason I would've put up with the game is because... it was on a Nokia phone. This was before I had a smartphone, and my phone didn't have an internet connection unless I wanted to pay for really absurd data charges. Play a bit in the car, on the toilet, wherever and I probably kinda just zoned out and beat it without caring too much cause I only played it in situations I literally had nothing better to do. Besides play other Nokia games... like Solitaire or Settlers of Catan vs AI. The Nokia Ovi store wasn't exactly a good time.
"I literally had nothing better to do"-wings012, FF2 ad qoute :)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Since my foray with Destiny 2 is on sabbatical, I decided to try another "it's better than the first one; we promise," and installed Titanfall 2. I was excited to have a single-player this time, but I don't think this one's gonna be a winner either. I just can't get comfortable with the controls, specifically the wall running. It's just really awkward in first-person, and as heavily as they leaned on it in the tutorials, I imagine it's going to come up more than a few times in the rest of the game. I made it as far as fetching my inherited mech a charged battery and was looking forward to getting to experience that aspect of the game, but then the mech told me "thanks, but I'll need another battery," and two more waypoints popped up that WEREN'T inside the mech, and I quit. I'll go back to it eventually, but the slow build to the best aspect of the game (controlling huge fucking mechs) is off-putting. Tell me, are the mech sequences simply set-pieces sprinkled throughout the campaign, or do I actually get to spend a lot of time playing with one?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Since my foray with Destiny 2 is on sabbatical, I decided to try another "it's better than the first one; we promise," and installed Titanfall 2. I was excited to have a single-player this time, but I don't think this one's gonna be a winner either. I just can't get comfortable with the controls, specifically the wall running. It's just really awkward in first-person, and as heavily as they leaned on it in the tutorials, I imagine it's going to come up more than a few times in the rest of the game. I made it as far as fetching my inherited mech a charged battery and was looking forward to getting to experience that aspect of the game, but then the mech told me "thanks, but I'll need another battery," and two more waypoints popped up that WEREN'T inside the mech, and I quit. I'll go back to it eventually, but the slow build to the best aspect of the game (controlling huge fucking mechs) is off-putting. Tell me, are the mech sequences simply set-pieces sprinkled throughout the campaign, or do I actually get to spend a lot of time playing with one?
I don't recall the wallrunning being too much of an issue really. You are given a jetpack, so you can booster your way through a lot of the jumps. Yes it is a key component of the gameplay, and I might be a bit biased as I enjoy FPR (first person runners) like Mirror's Edge and Ghostrunner, but I don't recall having too much of an issue with it. After the tutorial the game starts mixing up a lot of "in the mech" "out of the mech" stages, as you move about.

I would suggest trying to soldier through it, as the storyline for Titanfall 2 was really enjoyable. The mech especially was fantastic. His personality, and growing agency, was really fun. I was instantly enamored with him, and stayed that way through the whole game. Play it for BT, BT is great.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't recall the wallrunning being too much of an issue really. You are given a jetpack, so you can booster your way through a lot of the jumps. Yes it is a key component of the gameplay, and I might be a bit biased as I enjoy FPR (first person runners) like Mirror's Edge and Ghostrunner, but I don't recall having too much of an issue with it. After the tutorial the game starts mixing up a lot of "in the mech" "out of the mech" stages, as you move about.

I would suggest trying to soldier through it, as the storyline for Titanfall 2 was really enjoyable. The mech especially was fantastic. His personality, and growing agency, was really fun. I was instantly enamored with him, and stayed that way through the whole game. Play it for BT, BT is great.
Yeah, I've not completely given up on it yet; I was just exhausted from the many fail-filled wall running stretches that when I got back to the Titan with a battery, and he sent me on TWO more on-foot fetch quests, I'd had enough for the day.

And I actually LOVED Mirror's Edge, too, but that game focused on the parkour, that WAS the game, so it felt more intuitively designed to showcase it. Titanfall just feels like it's focusing on making Pilot combat as frenetic as possible, and wall running feels tacked on. Not knocking it; clearly there are those who get it, but when the tutorial tasked me to wall run, run, slide under a partition AND shoot people while I was sliding... yeah, I'm not doing all that. Looked fucking cool in the opening cinematic, but I don't have three hands and two heads for all that.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
but when the tutorial tasked me to wall run, run, slide under a partition AND shoot people while I was sliding... yeah, I'm not doing all that. Looked fucking cool in the opening cinematic, but I don't have three hands and two heads for all that.
Luckily you don't have to be that slick with the parkour mechanics to play the single player. It's fun sure, to pull off some of the cool trick moves, but you can play it WAY more conservatively and only do a handful of trick moves when the need arises. I mean for the most part you can just normal FPS it and do fine. I think those moves are more trying to prep you for the multiplayer stuff. But the story mode, it HELPS to have a firm grasp of the series of moves you can weave together, but definitely not mandatory.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
After hearing the announcement for Streets of Rage 4 DLC, I decided to go for a run at the Arcade mode to shake some of the rust off, since I haven't played in a while. It was only on Normal, but I managed to get through it with about a 230k score (with final bonus, could've done better if I hadn't broken a lot of high-value combos) and the starting 5 lives left over. Still gotta do Hard for the achievement, and play through Story with the other characters, but now I feel like going for that in between sessions of Red Dead Redemption 2 rather than anything else in my library.

Streets of Rage 4 is still a modern classic, and I'm excited to see what the DLC brings.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still gotta do Hard for the achievement, and play through Story with the other characters, but now I feel like going for tha
Because of the patch update, it's a bit easier to get through Arcade mode om Hard. I was able to get my all of my achievements before the patch update. Though even before the update, Hard wasn't that much harder than Normal. It's when you got to Hardest and above that things got more difficult.

Streets of Rage 4 is still a modern classic, and I'm excited to see what the DLC brings.
Looking forward to the 3 new characters, new modes, and new moves.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mario 3D World again. I finished World 1 and did the latter half of it as Peach, cuz why not. She needs to do the royal ass kicking herself for once. I played Mario in enough games already. Luigi I played the first half of W1. The Captain Toad levels (Do these so you can get 5 Green Stars) are in the game too from the Amiibo add-on/DLC. Thankfully, you don't require them to unlock them, unlike the Wii U release. The only problem with this game I have is the forced progression. In order to unlock certain levels or boss levels, you have to have a certain amount of Green Stars. I don't mind collectibles, but when I forced to collect or have a minimum amount to unlock a stage or face a boss, it irks me. That is forcing exploration in courses and like play in the levels without having forced to find 3 things. I can't take my time, because of the sometimes strict time limit, and I can't appreciate the level design on the first time through.

Luckily so far, I've been going over the minimum amount of stars required, but I have a feeling it's gonna get harder or worst as I get further in to the game. The game looks great as always and I am loving the super bell. This power-up is so fun and practically breaks the game in certain instances or is required to get those Green Stars. I've noticed that is game might as well double as a remake of Super Mario Bros. 2/USA. The only difference being no Wart; none of this being a dream neither. I have no problems, but I noticed immediately, even back in 2013.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Mario 3D World again. I finished World 1 and did the latter half of it as Peach, cuz why not. She needs to do the royal ass kicking herself for once. I played Mario in enough games already.

I've noticed that is game might as well double as a remake of Super Mario Bros. 2/USA. The only difference being no Wart; none of this being a dream neither. I have no problems, but I noticed immediately, even back in 2013.
I was gonna ask if you'd played SMB2, since Peach was one of the best characters to use in that game because she could float.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was gonna ask if you'd played SMB2, since Peach was one of the best characters to use in that game because she could float.
Yes. I've played and beaten the NES original, and the GBA remake. I still have my copy of the GBA game, including SMBRS 3 & SMWRLD. She plays exactly almost like she did in 2. The only difference being in the Switch port, everyone gets a boost in speed. Peach is still the mighty glacier of the group, with Rosalina being even slower in running speed. Peach's floaty jump is a major help and really comes in handy. Just like old times.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Finished Mankind Divided, which I really enjoyed. The game felt focused, with combat, stealth, and exploration mechanics all coming together to provide a varied yet seamless experience. Very rarely did I ever really feel annoyed or irritated by any gameplay mechanics outside of the long loading times (I played on PS4) and the game sometimes screwing up the input for non-lethal/lethal takedowns. The voice acting, music, and atmosphere were also quite nice.

Now I should probably get around to finishing the original Deus Ex some day.