Dragon's Dogma 2

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah, I am giving up on completing the game after 40 hours. It started off strong, but I soon realized it's a loose collection of interesting ideas.

The game needs more vocations, less jankiness, and more build variety.
It would be great to have more vocation, but 10 is pretty respectable imo. Build variety could be higher, most passive don't really do anything, but you can switch class at will so that help keep things different.

I agree with everything here lol.
I agree the game is way to easy and that's a pretty big disappointment. Didn't get any save file bug so can't comment on how common it is (plus apparently they already changed that). You don't have to do the catsle mission right away (you get 3 quest, 2 in teh castle that can be done in 10 minutes and one in the over world to go and kill monsters). Story is pretty forgettable thats entirely true but at the same time its pretty minimal which I'll take over "most bad and in your face" story.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Screenshot_20240410-200530.png

I completely missed the boat the first game so I feel like kind of a loser for not buying into the hype. I saw a trailer for it and about 5 minutes later it was getting disastrous reviews.

Then somebody posted a big complaint thread on reddit it was like a Capcom development checklist.

Its interesting to watch this unfold like everyones not cyberpunk angry, just disappointed. Classic case of "wait for reviews".

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Really wish some devs had more support/management(?), since this seems to be one of those games that could’ve been amazing if it was able to cook longer.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I completely missed the boat the first game so I feel like kind of a loser for not buying into the hype. I saw a trailer for it and about 5 minutes later it was getting disastrous reviews.

Then somebody posted a big complaint thread on reddit it was like a Capcom development checklist.

Its interesting to watch this unfold like everyones not cyberpunk angry, just disappointed. Classic case of "wait for reviews".
I wasn't overly hyped about the game, I just expected more Dragon's Dogma (which is pretty flawed), which is just great big monster fights (getting anything more than that is just a bonus). The only games I care for big monster fights are this series, Monster Hunter, and Horizon. Dragon's Dogma, unlike the other 2 series, does make fighting the smaller enemies/mobs/cannon fodder quite a bit more fun as well.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I wasn't overly hyped about the game, I just expected more Dragon's Dogma (which is pretty flawed), which is just great big monster fights (getting anything more than that is just a bonus). The only games I care for big monster fights are this series, Monster Hunter, and Horizon. Dragon's Dogma, unlike the other 2 series, does make fighting the smaller enemies/mobs/cannon fodder quite a bit more fun as well.
Its a bit shameful I have Dragons Dogma, but by the time I got around to playing it, either my graphics were bugged or it looked really ugly and dated. I really didn't give it the shot it probably deserved, but the community seems really torn. Like everybody loves it or was totally "meh" on it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This game is a really faithful sequel, and the original game was a divisive game with a loyal fanbase who absolutely loved the hell out of it but which never had enough mass appeal to be loved by everyone, which is actually why I think it's significant.

In this era of games being made for maximizing profit and appealing to the absolute largest segment of the population possible, you have a game that refuses to compromise its identity and instead chooses to be as popular as it can possibly be while still being itself, and that is treasure indeed.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Back with my report some up and downs in the comments to be expected. I not even sure I could recommend it since its just so much this and that.

My main gripe has been UI. I miss being able to buy stuff and send it straight to storage espicially armor and weapons. At least you can upgrade from the storage anything else would of broken me.

I have found my class in the Warfarer. Perk of this class you can equip up to 3 different weapons from any vocation. And have access to all the skills of those vocations. Now the caveat which makes it controverial you can only have 4 skills equipped. One of the skills is the ability to switch on the fly in combat which you don't have to equip but its more smooth than menu in menu out. Many fans were saying the class should have the full 4 skill slot for each weapon and I am was like that sounds cool but no. I am not much one balance but that would make every other class just pointless. I like Warfarer cause its gives lots of utility switch some greatsword to wizard staff and having access to those core skills makes up for the limited skill slot. My opinion that this limit makes it more fun cause i have to pick which skill would allow but synergy and have its uses.

Main perk and most important is that it has no restrictions on armor so the perfect class for Fashions Dogma.

Another Ox Carts are not cheap for reason and this riders don't get payed enough.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I don't get people complaining about the vocations cause I've been having a blast with my warrior I've barely changed outside of the dual lancer which is also a bundle of fun. I just reached the endgame area and I found this spiky fire greatmace and man is it epic. They had this beastly gladiator style armor too. Top epic.

Changing weapons on the fly is cool too of course but I honestly don't even need it to enjoy the gameplay.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
So in a stark "grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat" turnabout, I finally unlocked access to Batthal (second big zone) and in one of the missions in the capital there I had to protect the empress, which I gloriously failed at and she died....but I then remembered you can bring people back to life with those heartstones (in jp they call em "dragon heartbeat rocks" so I forget the english name) so I went in the morgue and sure enough she was there. After reviving her it turns out it's best to let her die cause then whoever sent the assassin will think she died (cause she did) and now she can go in hiding and fool whoever hired the assassin. So now I'm in a mission to catch the mastermind behind the assassination, since I interrogated (bribed) the assassin who did get arrested after killing her, into telling me who hired him.

This level of dynamic quest resolution that has absolutely no handholding or quest markers is freaking genius.
I just got to that quest and also bungled it up.

I did attempt to go the morgue but she was not there. Profound sadness.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I just got to that quest and also bungled it up.

I did attempt to go the morgue but she was not there. Profound sadness.
You gotta talk to the lady in front of the morgue and pay her to put a candle on the corpse, also maybe you rushed there too quick so they hadn't yet transported her, it take some time for corpses to be put in the morgue, kinda like how it takes time for beasts to decompose in the overworld. I'd definitely rest and check again the next day.

Btw how did you mess up? I tried to be smart so I saw this bald guy with a bandage on his right arm and I figured the assassin shaved his head to not be recognized. Turns out, nope, he's not quite as crafty.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
You gotta talk to the lady in front of the morgue and pay her to put a candle on the corpse, also maybe you rushed there too quick so they hadn't yet transported her, it take some time for corpses to be put in the morgue, kinda like how it takes time for beasts to decompose in the overworld. I'd definitely rest and check again the next day.

Btw how did you mess up? I tried to be smart so I saw this bald guy with a bandage on his right arm and I figured the assassin shaved his head to not be recognized. Turns out, nope, he's not quite as crafty.
I just tacked the dude who was bit too close for comfort and accepted my L.

Take a break because despite claims of the game being too easy some Gore harpies and succubs chased me half way across the map stunning and frostbiting me whole party wipe and had to cheese the npcs at the volcano camp to help me. Warfarer got utility but the lack of knockdown resist is real.

I fear no dragons but those gore harpies not thank you going to put an archer in the party this time.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I just tacked the dude who was bit too close for comfort and accepted my L.

Take a break because despite claims of the game being too easy some Gore harpies and succubs chased me half way across the map stunning and frostbiting me whole party wipe and had to cheese the npcs at the volcano camp to help me. Warfarer got utility but the lack of knockdown resist is real.

I fear no dragons but those gore harpies not thank you going to put an archer in the party this time.
Yeah they definitely can be annoying, I deal with them by using my anti-air moves, which every mellee class has one at least. With the warrior it's the one that when charged has you leap upwards, you just hold it and wait until they come diving for you. They don't take much to die but they're definitely annoying if they swarm.

If they grab you and you're near a cliffside though, you're screwed, I had one such encounter and they tossed me off the side of a cliff and I couldn't climb back and there was only sea on the other end, true torture lmao.

Oh and if it's raining you will get frozen way easily so I legit would just run past them if possible in the rain, not worth it otherwise, unless you have those rings that prevent frost buildup entirely.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In this era of games being made for maximizing profit and appealing to the absolute largest segment of the population possible, you have a game that refuses to compromise its identity and instead chooses to be as popular as it can possibly be while still being itself, and that is treasure indeed.
Props to the game for doing that, but there's a bunch of others that do that too. So it's not that unique. Yes, it's more unique compared to your standard live service fair, but there are a few other AAA games that didn't compromise or when and did its own thing without trying to be like everybody else. Also, dd2 still has the crappy micro transactions you expect from the Capcom field. It's not the worst, but it still exploiting its audience. We've already had this conversation so I'm not going to do a back and forth again. I've played plenty of games that weren't trying to maximize on profit or the widely appealing as possible. And I know most of these games that I play aren't triple a, but I don't care. The only further proves my point that the whole maximizing thing is bull crap, and exist to serve the shareholders and those up top only.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I am giving up on completing the game after 40 hours. It started off strong, but I soon realized it's a loose collection of interesting ideas.

The game needs more vocations, less jankiness, and more build variety.
...said everyone back in 2012. Good thing we got a sequel 12 years later that really ironed out all those rough spots, ey?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I started a new game to play as an archer this time, and the game is "better"? Ranged attacking feels better and safer as you can peck off enemies while your pawn army keeps them busy, and with archer skills you can even stagger the enemies enough that they don't get much chance to fight back and hurt your pawns themselves. Pawns are still really really fucking stupid though and will jump off cliffs for no reason only to die.

I have no idea how the pawn system is supposed to work in the sense of your pawn being hired out to other people, as my girl "jesssay" has never once been on any adventures while I've been gone. If you must always log out at an inn for your pawn to partake in another adventure that's incredibly stupid as the majority of the time I am playing out in the wild somewhere and don't have access to an Inn at the drop of a hat to log out properly.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I have no idea how the pawn system is supposed to work in the sense of your pawn being hired out to other people, as my girl "jesssay" has never once been on any adventures while I've been gone. If you must always log out at an inn for your pawn to partake in another adventure that's incredibly stupid as the majority of the time I am playing out in the wild somewhere and don't have access to an Inn at the drop of a hat to log out properly.
From what I understand, if you connect to online your main pawn automatically gets registered in the rift and becomes hire-able. I agree that staying at the inn being the only way for the main pawns to come back from rental is stupid. Also, your main pawn only levels up in your world. This means the pawns that you hire from other people also don't level up, and you gotta keep dropping and adding new pawns every now and then after you level up.

I think to make your pawn more sought out, you gotta level them up, gear them, and set the skills you want. My main pawn "Lia" started off as mage, and was getting decent amount of hires. But when I made her sorcerer, she became more rented out.

But then it begs the question; What happens if you revert to older save? does the rift still have them as the higher levels in the newer save, or does it revert back to few levels back?

I started a new game to play as an archer this time, and the game is "better"? Ranged attacking feels better and safer as you can peck off enemies while your pawn army keeps them busy, and with archer skills you can even stagger the enemies enough that they don't get much chance to fight back and hurt your pawns themselves. Pawns are still really really fucking stupid though and will jump off cliffs for no reason only to die.
If enemies getting close range is an issue, I recommend other vocations as well; thief has a default dodge button as well as counter skill, mystic spearhand has a strike-from-above skill that becomes stronger when you use it just before getting striked, and magick archer let's you be Atreus from GOW, pulling off some cool arrow magics (ricochet shots and explosive fire arrows are my favorite)

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think to make your pawn more sought out, you gotta level them up, gear them, and set the skills you want. My main pawn "Lia" started off as mage, and was getting decent amount of hires. But when I made her sorcerer, she became more rented out.
Supposedly Capcom put in a system that will "pretend" to rent out your pawn if real players don't. So there should still be a base rate of your pawn getting hired by people, even if they arent' real.
If enemies getting close range is an issue, I recommend other vocations as well; thief has a default dodge button as well as counter skill, mystic spearhand has a strike-from-above skill that becomes stronger when you use it just before getting striked, and magick archer let's you be Atreus from GOW, pulling off some cool arrow magics (ricochet shots and explosive fire arrows are my favorite)
When i was a warrior I would just get gangbangs by mobs from off screen because the goblins have a big leap attack that covers a lot of distance. With an archer i shot them mid-leap and the fall out of the sky like stones. Melee combat feels shitty to me in this game despite some of the melee classes being able to do some cool looking things. I have not yet unlocked anything beyond the base list of vocations as of now. I just got to the first big city on this second attempt.