Dragon's Dogma 2

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I did finally get the game to run after setting up an 8 GB paging file (so 24 GBs of memory that can be used), and it seemed to run fine enough in the starting area right after making a character (that I just picked a pre-made just to get into the actual game). However, the game keeps wanting more and more memory and I keep getting an "OUTOFMEMORY" error that crashes the game. The game keeps running after the error (but once you hit OK on the dialog box, the game closes) so I can see in Task Manager that all 24 GBs of available memory are being used for some reason. It seems like there's a memory leak because there's no way the game needs that much RAM to run. I feel like just increasing the paging file isn't going to do much because the game will just keeping eating up more memory.

Do you have an SSD? Even that might be bottlenecking data fetching if the game needs more than 16GB regardless of leaks, which would make any size page file allotments irrelevant anyways.

Better off just getting more damn ram since it’s still cheaper than a new console, if you’re determined to run it on PC.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Do you have an SSD? Even that might be bottlenecking data fetching if the game needs more than 16GB regardless of leaks, which would make any size page file allotments irrelevant anyways.

Better off just getting more damn ram since it’s still cheaper than a new console, if you’re determined to run it on PC.
Yeah, the paging file is on the SSD. I was hoping the compiling shaders phase was the thing eating up the RAM just to get that done as fast as possible. But it continued into the game. I was looking up threads about this happening to other people but there wasn't much and people are like the game only uses 3 GBs of RAM for them. I wouldn't mind getting another 16 GBs of RAM to have 32 GBs but I don't have much confidence that the game will stop eating up RAM.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Luke mentioned the PS5 version ran very steady. The PC version was better in theory because it ran at like 30fps in the towns but it was running like 100fps in the world with all the combat and stuff going on, thus towns were then like a 70% drop in performance. I don't really care about having great performance, I grew up on console through the generations where 30fps was all you got and it wasn't until super recently 60fps on console was even an option. I remember back when Bloodborne came out and people were making a big deal out of the frame pacing, and I played it and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Outside of fighting games you don't really need high framerates, it's something more of a status symbol now than a critical element of your experience. Like I remember seeing the Doom devs putting their pc compartments in bags and dipping em in liquid nitrogen to overclock doom and get the game to run at something insane like 1000fps without melting their pc. Like at that point your hobby is supercar racing in the form of pcs, not videogames.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
The game has Sphinx and she'll give you riddles. Guess them right, you get awesome stuff. Guess them wrong she files away and the rest of the riddles gets locked out.

Some of these quests are rather cleverly designed; There's one where you have yo bring a fragile pot to a guy, and you can just bring the dude to the shrine to complete it. But there are also stupid ones llke tracking down where you first found a seeker token and grab an item there and bring it back to her.

I think in theory it’s a nice idea since it makes you make note on the particular location. The problem is, there are 200+ tokens to collect, and you’ll definitely be lost. And the riddle has time limit of in-game seven days.

Oh and when you are done with all the riddles, you better be sure to be ready to kill her; because the final chest is locked and she has the key. Otherwise she files away and gone for good.

I mean holy shit, I love the rewards, but the convulted designs + her leaving permanently was so stupid

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
My fav creative quest solution so far was the one where two people ask you for the same item, and what I did was go to the forger and make a copy of it and give it to one of em, but then he goes to the same forger to authenticate it cause he's savvy, so I had to bribe the guy to lie to the quest person. Man the rollercoster in that one.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Outside of fighting games you don't really need high framerates, it's something more of a status symbol now than a critical element of your experience. Like I remember seeing the Doom devs putting their pc compartments in bags and dipping em in liquid nitrogen to overclock doom and get the game to run at something insane like 1000fps without melting their pc. Like at that point your hobby is supercar racing in the form of pcs, not videogames.
The game will dip to 20 fps in that fucking city. Plus I instantly notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The game will dip to 20 fps in that fucking city. Plus I instantly notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps.
The recent console patch locks it at 30fps, maybe try that setting?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Things I've noticed on my end after the update:

Everytime I start the game, it resets all the settings. the game thinks I am starting the game for the first time and I gotta go through all the adjustments again.

If I try to load the last save UPON DEATH, the game simply fails to load the save. Due to the whole losing hp mechanic (which btw is a stupid mechanic if you ask me) this doesn't bother me too much, but I have to force close the game whenever it happens. I start the game, and have to go through the above again.

Seeing some delays in texture loads whenever I use ferrystone

And items seem to disappear from my inventory randomly.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I did end up getting a PS5 for Dragon's Dogma. I've really only created my character and pawn though.

---

My fav creative quest solution so far was the one where two people ask you for the same item, and what I did was go to the forger and make a copy of it and give it to one of em, but then he goes to the same forger to authenticate it cause he's savvy, so I had to bribe the guy to lie to the quest person. Man the rollercoster in that one.
That's pretty neat and not something I'd expect Dragon's Dogma to even feature.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I did end up getting a PS5 for Dragon's Dogma. I've really only created my character and pawn though.

---

That's pretty neat and not something I'd expect Dragon's Dogma to even feature.
Actually that was in the first game too, you had a forger in the main capital, and there was this one big ring you had to give back to the king or something at one point that had the best stats so I did that back then, turned out they never figured out so I kept the real one! XD

Also in DD2, there's this other part where your soldier conspirator gives you an unbreakable gaol key temporarily, again, same deal, returned the replica to him, kept the genuine article for myself.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I have been playing the Dogma 2 I have seen the discourse over the Dogma 2 and its is fascinating. Makes me miss when it was a fanbase of was small again.

My current view from a DD1 is the the exploration is what DD1 was hoping to be and it excelled at it. The world fields more dynamic and personally it helped with the enemy placement. Just the way everything reacts to the environment and walking on monster fighting even though they all drop when they see you and different variety types having their own distinct look. For the goblins, you got your basic red boys being dumb asses, i can't remember the green ones I call them guerrilla gobs or Vietcobs cause they blend in to the forest to ambush you, you hobgoblins are big bruisers and you got knackers who have hops for days and love stomping you.

I am loving the vocations I was concerned about breaking up strider into two but Archer comes into its own with some nice OP skills that make you a human turret and thief needs no advance vocation as its gets the job done. Fighter feels right with is shied and parry skills and verastile. Mage is no longer lesser sorcerer feels like an actual support and with the revamped health loss system I never not have on on my team. Now Sorcerer is complicated we lost some good spells in Miasma, petrification and the lightning whip. I can understand those grievances. But playing the class is more active than stand far away and cast. Stuff like quick spell and hold spell along with instant stamina recovery keeps you in the action a much better play style. Mystic Spearman is weird and I love it. Its is a jedi even has a force throw though its very wonky when it works and I just need to use the stun more often I forget I am not a warrior and cant just eat hits. Speaking of which oh my sweet baby warrior the glow up. Pummel bash and escape slash become barge and I am happy for it. You have an ability to shake off stun status. You have moves if time right can know over all the big monsters and give all the little monster the endless stagger they give to you as vengeance. I have not tried Trickster yet but that is very controverial cause of the play style where you can not do damage but I will see it. I have not found warfarer or magic archer to see how it functions now.

Story as of where i am at its fine and it keeps things moving. First Dogma story was a story like if you play the first time you will miss mission that add context to later mission and it will all make sense. Dogma is funny case where its has this background lore that is this fascinating background lore that combines western purgatory with eastern reincartion and multiverse theory. Like I assumed most of the cast in DD1 were shallow but then I was able to actual figure out their questlines and now I feel bad. I hope that is the case with DD2 where what ever faults are found later. Dogma obtuse nature is a love it or leave it thing many are leaving it and I don't blame them.

Now they took the qol of Dark Arisen art which was bold choice cause most Dogma vets suggested Dark Arisen cause of that. I have not grown tired of the exploration the amount of camp fires that allow you to heal on your journey and change skills helps. Plus pawns who have done that quest will shortcuts which vary depending on length but I find myself getting better with vocations and getting rank and leveling plus getting stories about these hapless adventures.

The MTX are trash have always been trash but I don't think the design was made to lead you to them. Honestly have not even looked at the store and I refuse too cause so far I am finding my needs ingame and if not well time my team of bumblefucks to not die.

Just got to what I assume is the mid game mostly doing side quest and stumbling upon things cause Dogma is really less about the end and enjoying everything in the middle. I know the journey not the destination is corny but I have yet to get tired of the back and forth and adventuring. I personally can not wait to get overleveled cause that is when everything melts and you have quest knowledge that make a 30 minute quest take 5 minutes cause you know what they want.

Dogma 2 has been sequel I wanted I wish my PC friend did not have issue my PS5 has been fine for me. Why there was no new game button I do not know I can't make sense of that. And like it always has its obtuse ass charm can be too obtuse for its own good. Honestly my main gripe is that I can't sell from my storage or buy put things straight into my storage and my pawns need to be a certain distance from me to give them something that was baffling decision.

Now this might change towards the endgame but my feelings are overall pretty positive. Now I will use this excuse to share some of my adventure in moments with people.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So in a stark "grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat" turnabout, I finally unlocked access to Batthal (second big zone) and in one of the missions in the capital there I had to protect the empress, which I gloriously failed at and she died....but I then remembered you can bring people back to life with those heartstones (in jp they call em "dragon heartbeat rocks" so I forget the english name) so I went in the morgue and sure enough she was there. After reviving her it turns out it's best to let her die cause then whoever sent the assassin will think she died (cause she did) and now she can go in hiding and fool whoever hired the assassin. So now I'm in a mission to catch the mastermind behind the assassination, since I interrogated (bribed) the assassin who did get arrested after killing her, into telling me who hired him.

This level of dynamic quest resolution that has absolutely no handholding or quest markers is freaking genius.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Yeah, I am giving up on completing the game after 40 hours. It started off strong, but I soon realized it's a loose collection of interesting ideas.

The game needs more vocations, less jankiness, and more build variety.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Dont forget better performance. The frame rate is absolutely dogshit for most of the game.
The update has rather been weird as well; The one in late-March brought tons of bug fixes, and it made sense to call it title update.

The one that happened recently? It only had three lines regarding fixes and they called it "Title Update". Either it was meant to be a hotfix, or they have strange standards to what is considered a title update

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I have been playing the Dogma 2 I have seen the discourse over the Dogma 2 and its is fascinating. Makes me miss when it was a fanbase of was small again.
Thanks for sharing the detail and the clips, I do enjoy that very much!
This game is like the recent Zeldas for me- I ain't playing them, but i enjoy seeing what others are up to.