$100 Gift Card

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
I was fortunate enough to receive a $100 gift card as a prize from school.
Unfortunately this has created quite a dilemma. The store in which it is valid - Borders (Sells books, movies and music for those outside of Australia) - does not sell games and therefore I actually have to make a decision on what I'm going to buy.

So if you had a $100 gift card and could only spend it on books, movies and music; what would you purchase?

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Discworld novels, Dream Theater, Muse, probably search for a CD of a new band, maybe some Boy Soldier books.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
Buy Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, they'll have it and it's something everyone should listen to.

Also buy The Stand from Stephen King, it's awesome

And the other 60 bucks....uhhh lots of Game Informers?

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
John Grisham novels, a couple of odd CDs that I have been meaning to buy for a while and maybe a new movie. The CDs in question would probably be a couple of Beck CDs (Guero and Odelay) and a ZZ Top CD (no particular one).

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
JRCB said:
Discworld novels, Dream Theater, Muse, probably search for a CD of a new band, maybe some Boy Soldier books.
All Dream Theater and Muse albums deserve to be bought.

Also, the book Nineteen Eighty-Four is required, by law, to be in every person's collection.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
QuirkyTambourine said:
Also buy The Stand from Stephen King, it's awesome
I agree, its a great book. Unfortunately this also means that its off the list.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Probably a ton of comic books. Movies at borders are pretty expensive, and I have no interest in their music. So I would spend it on random interesting books and comic books.

Daggermonkie

Sep 15, 2009
i'd buy science fiction books and fantasy. I don't buy music so no music. as for movies...you can watch them on online sites first

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
SniperWolf427 said:
JRCB said:

Also, the book Nineteen Eighty-Four is required, by law, to be in every person's collection.
Never heard of this "Nineteen Eighty-Four"; why is it compulsory?

Ghostshot08

Oct 22, 2008
Do they sell candy? You could buy lots and lots of candy.

Seriously, just browse and see if something new catches your eye.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
JRCB said:

Oh lord, just you wait...

Ok, so basically this book was written by George Orwell (his real name is Eric Arthur Blair, but the pen name is much cooler) in 1949 and it was basically a prediction of what the future (the year 1984 specifically) would hold in store for us. It's a dystopian future where war is endless, citizens live in constant fear, and the government is a controlling dictatorship.

Obviously, his prediction was incorrect, but still very realistic. Nineteen Eighty-Four is more relevant now than ever. I've seen many issues and events happening in the world that instantly bring this book to mind.

Instant classic. Seriously.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
SniperWolf427 said:
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
JRCB said:

Oh lord, just you wait...

Ok, so basically this book was written by George Orwell (his real name is Eric Arthur Blair, but the pen name is much cooler) in 1949 and it was basically a prediction of what the future (the year 1984 specifically) would hold in store for us. It's a dystopian future where war is endless, citizens live in constant fear, and the government is a controlling dictatorship.

Obviously, his prediction was incorrect, but still very realistic. Nineteen Eighty-Four is more relevant now than ever. I've seen many issues and events happening in the world that instantly bring this book to mind.

Instant classic. Seriously.
WE HAVE A WINNER! Its on the list. Sounds like a ridiculously good read.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
dun nananananana BATMAN!
Or just all things Alan Moore: Batman: The Killing Joke, V For Vendetta, Watchmen, and others.