Police Kill Teen After Xbox 360 Theft

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Police Kill Teen After Xbox 360 Theft

A Colorado teen shot and killed by police this week had a warrant out for his arrest for allegedly stealing an Xbox 360 at gunpoint.

It's a sad state of affairs when a kid gets killed for ripping off a gaming console [http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=105139&catid=339], even if he was being stupid. Police say 18-year-old Brandon Winn had previously met an acquaintance's friend in an apartment to supposedly buy an Xbox 360 from him for $170. When the exchange was to take place, Winn allegedly pulled a gun and threatened to shoot the man if he didn't hand over the gaming console.

A warrant for his arrest was issued, and Denver police waited outside Winn's residence the following day. When another law enforcement agency was called in to provide backup, Winn bolted out of the house and pointed a gun at the police officers, according to an affidavit. An officer then shot him in the torso. He was taken to the hospital but later died from his injuries.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
This has nothing to do with the Xbox theft and everything to do with the fact he pointed a gun at the police. Mistake.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
This has nothing to do with the Xbox theft and everything to do with the fact he pointed a gun at the police. Mistake.
Bingo!

Still, why the fuck would you pull a gun on someone for a 360?

BishopOfBattle

Jul 14, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
...and everything to do with the fact he pointed a gun at the police.
Agreed. However, it is sad a teen thought pulling a gun on police was better than facing the consequences of stealing an Xbox. But lets keep blame where blame is due.

Korhal

Jun 9, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Stole the words right out of my mouth.

People do stupid stuff when they think they can get away with it.... I say good on the policeman.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
You Americans & your guns
Because everyone knows, criminal buy guns legally.

Seriously, ask any Yo-Yo or gangbanger. If they don't cut your throat, they'll tell you all guns are aquired illegally from other countries or are STOLEN from legal owners. Only an idiot uses a gun they bought- Criminals watch CSI too.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
QFT
Seriously, that is the number one dumb thing to do.

The title of the thread is misleading. Eitherway this is a tragic story.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
I want to say something funny like "Teen dies from combination of stupidity and bullets" but anyone with half a brain can figure that out. Anyone stupid enough to point a gun at police and think he'll survive hasn't played enough Grand Theft Auto.

But here's another thing to ponder: in the (public, not gaming) news recently the Xbox360 seems to be the only system being mentioned. Is this because Xbox360 owners are more likely to be extreme in their gaming obsession, or is it just coincidence?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Brandon Winn?

More like Brandon Fail.

Seriously though, what did he think would happen if he pointed a gun at the Police who were there to arrest him for armed robbery?

It is tragic that someone got shot, in a roundabout was, because of the desire for an X-Box.
It's also sad that the Police Officer who shot him was put in he position where he had to shoot in the first place. I know that there's a Hollywood stereotype of gun-ho cops, but nobody wants to have to shoot someone over a simple arrest like that, let alone a kid.

Winn's mother, Debra, told our partners at the Denver Post police shot and killed the wrong man. She says police then told her varying stories of what led to her son's death.
It will be interesting to see if there's any more to this claim & how it plays out. It could just be a grieving mother not coming to terms that her son wasn't an angel & wanting to blame someone else, or there could be more to the story than originally reported.

Who knows, it might not have been a clean shooting, which makes it all the more tragic.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
PumpItUp said:
But here's another thing to ponder: in the (public, not gaming) news recently the Xbox360 seems to be the only system being mentioned. Is this because Xbox360 owners are more likely to be extreme in their gaming obsession, or is it just coincidence?
Perhaps it's because the public media has no clue which console is which, so they play it safe... nah.

Anyways, it is sad to see someone stupid enough to die, all because they thought they could get away with pointing a gun to a policeman. A waste a of life, but I'm not sure this guy had a big future ahead of him.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Thank you. The police were completely within protocol, they were threatened and had to act quickly to protect their lives.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Jamash said:
Brandon Winn?

More like Brandon Fail.
You stole my witty one-liner!

Next time Jamash, next time I will be the one stealing a joke of teens being shot for being stupid!

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
Point a gun at the police? Ingenuous!

but seriously did he hink he was really gonna get away? this world is going to crap if people are robbing others at gunpoint for a game console.

MasterStratus

Oct 19, 2008
This article clearly shows how desperate people are becoming for non-essential things, such as an xbox. It is just sad when people pull out guns to get gaming systems.

Arkfeller

Nov 14, 2007
Even if he DID point a gun at the police, that's no reason to shoot him in the torso, is it? The leg should be enough...

windfish

Feb 13, 2008
Arkfeller said:
Even if he DID point a gun at the police, that's no reason to shoot him in the torso, is it? The leg should be enough...
The police had to act fast. In real life, you don't have auto-aim. Torso is easier to hit.

Fruhstuck

Jul 29, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
I don't think i've seen a more poingant opening gambit to a thread

Fruhstuck

Jul 29, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Cousin_IT said:
You Americans & your guns
Because everyone knows, criminal buy guns legally.

Seriously, ask any Yo-Yo or gangbanger. If they don't cut your throat, they'll tell you all guns are aquired illegally from other countries or are STOLEN from legal owners. Only an idiot uses a gun they bought- Criminals watch CSI too.
The policy of everyone being able to own a gun makes for a gun-society though doesn't it
If you were to have a more closed policy on guns then you wouldn't have as much gun-crime
I think you have a right to your weapons, but if there were less of them in the country less of them would be used
There would still be a problem but it'd be less because there wouldn't be as many guns around

EDIT: sorry for the double post