Nosgoth Brings Multiplayer To Legacy Of Kain

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Nosgoth Brings Multiplayer To Legacy Of Kain

Square Enix has a game called "Nosgoth" in the works, and while little is known, it appears to be a new, multiplayer-focused entry in the Legacy of Kain franchise.

Like many of the big hits to debut on the original PlayStation, the Legacy of Kain series has faded into obscurity over the years. This should be seen as a travesty, as the Legacy of Kain games have always offered an appropriately dark world full of vampires and other evil creatures as well as engaging, deep gameplay. If anything it's odd that we haven't seen any Legacy of Kain sequels any time recently - at least, that's what I would be saying had you asked me yesterday. This morning Square Enix offered a bit of news that makes everything I just typed moot.

According to the publisher, it's currently engaged in bringing a title called Nosgoth to market. What is Nosgoth? "Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game," states Square Enix community manager George Kelion. "Nosgoth is set in the same universe as previous [Legacy Of Kain] games, but on a different branch to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series."

Something of a spin-off then? That's neat, but it's not the most intriguing information Kelion shared. "The community should not be thinking of Nosgoth in terms of a single-player experience," he adds.

So it's a game set in the Legacy Of Kain universe that is not a "single-player experience?" That's unexpected. Any other surprises? "Nosgoth is not being developed by [Legacy of Kain creator] Crystal Dynamics," Kelion states. "Crystal Dynamics are not working on a Legacy of Kain game"

A new Legacy of Kain title being developed by someone other than the franchise's creator that ditches the series' traditional single-player focus in favor of ... something else? I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt, but this sounds like a huge departure from what fans might expect from a future Legacy of Kain title. If you're a hardcore Legacy of Kain fan, how upsetting is this news? Are you ready to toss a brick through the window of Square Enix headquarters? That's probably an overreaction, but we like your moxie.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/nosgoth-in-active-development-at-square-not-a-traditional-legacy-of-kain-title/]

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
New Legacy of Kain game
Yay! LoK is rad as fuck and I'm still bummed about Blood Omen 3 getting canceled.

Square Enix
What? Umm... why? What is going on here?

"Nosgoth is not being developed by [Legacy of Kain creator] Crystal Dynamics"
Oh, God. This is getting worse.

"multiplayer-focused entry"
Please don't do this. Drop the game and step away from the license.

Seriously, I went from really excited to really worried in about a minute. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not too thrilled about SquareEnix and their products as of late.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Well, sounds like Squeeniz is pulling a bit of an EA here, eh?

Lets take this single player game and make it multiplayer, people liked this game back in the day, they'll like it now.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oh Christ on a bike. You know, all those years ago playing the LoK games all I was thinking was "this character driven, narrative based game really needs some multiplayer action." It just leaps right out at you is it's lack of multiplayer.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well on the plus side, at least it's not on IOS :p

After this week I'm now convinced the Square Enix offices just have a set of dart boards with IPs, gameplay ideas and platforms listed randomly on them.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
Square Enix
What? Umm... why? What is going on here?
Square bought Eidos several years ago. Eidos was the publisher for the series (and others).

but I'm not too thrilled about SquareEnix and their products as of late.
Not that I hold out any hope that a multiplayer entry in this series will actually be good, but Square's track record has only sucked lately with everything coming out of Japan. Their Western studios have been doing some great things like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Tomb Raider. There are plenty of reasons to worry about this game. Square being the publisher isn't one of them if their recent track record is anything to go by.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
So first a mobile Deus Ex game and now a multiplayer Legacy of Kain?

It seems Square Enix really knows what the fans want, huh?

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Vivi22 said:
but I'm not too thrilled about SquareEnix and their products as of late.
Not that I hold out any hope that a multiplayer entry in this series will actually be good, but Square's track record has only sucked lately with everything coming out of Japan. Their Western studios have been doing some great things like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Tomb Raider. There are plenty of reasons to worry about this game. Square being the publisher isn't one of them if their recent track record is anything to go by.
Fair point. It was more of a gut reaction. Just seeing Square involved in something I care about makes me nervous nowadays, but that is indeed down to their JRPGs.

Still, I don't get why Crystal Dynamics isn't involved. They also clearly work with SE, as evidenced by the new Tomb Raider, so why leave them out?

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
ahh yes its that time again? The dig up a old franchise and put it into the flavor of the month genre, excuse me if im cynical here until i know more that, hey guess what guys remember that single player game series that you knew and loved back then its getting a new multilayer focused spin off installment, YAAAAAY,

Matt Gleason said:
Meh. At least it's something. I'd hate to see the franchise die completely.
you may regret saying that one there.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Aww, I saw the first word of the title and got all excited, but then I got to the end of it and realized they were going to butcher something I loved. =/

Really guys, is it that hard? Release one more game in the main series, pick up exactly where Defiance left of, and finish the goddamned story. It's already past the main climax, you literally just have to ride the plot down the mostly obvious route, maybe with some minor detours, make a competent action game and finish things and people will be throwing money at you.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Turning a narrative-focused single-player franchise that was so good I'm still considering getting a tattoo of symbols from the game... into a multiplayer affair, possibly an MMO... huh...

[deep breath]

Well, I'm glad the franchise hasn't been entirely abandoned.
The setting of the Legacy of Kain games is fascinating & ripe for an expanded universe; vampires, magic, Lovecraftian gods, multiple dimensions, time travel. It's not a terrible idea to see a new team's spin on the world of Nosgoth, I suppose.
If it makes money, the chances of a proper LoK sequel being developed goes up substantially.

I... uum... reserve judgement until more details arise

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Matt Gleason said:
No, I'd rather see the franchise die completely, and with some dignity, than for it to become some cheap cash cow. There is no reason for this game to exist except for the sake of trying to milk a little more cash out of the franchise.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Matt Gleason said:
No, I'd rather see the franchise die completely, and with some dignity, than for it to become some cheap cash cow. There is no reason for this game to exist except for the sake of trying to milk a little more cash out of the franchise.
Sadly, I agree.
Maybe a highdef remaster. I guarantee that will pick up the big bucks. Played through this whole series and loved it.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Sigh looks like the games industry wants to take another dump on another one of my favorite IPs. Seriously why do games have to always have multiplayer, is anyone going to actually play it? The Legacy of Kain games were known for their story, fantastic characters, and awesome dialog. Not for multiplayer. Why not continue what made the series so iconic, instead of watering it down into another game with a weak single player and a tacted on multiplayer that no one is going to buy the game for.

Not one person is going to go 'ooh multiplayer legacy of kain I'm gonna get that' no you look for multiplayer in specific types of games it use to be the industry knew that. Multiplayer games should be disigned around multiplayer that's what makes them great. A lot of refinement makes a good gameplay experience. You don't just say 'okay lets add multiplayer so we can tap into the fratboy' crowd. The frat boys aren't as stupid as people seem to think they are.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Noramlly, "multiplayer focused" and "Square Enix" would be enough to make me wary, but I don't care because NEW LEGACY OF KAIN GAME HELL YES. Please be good.