Nosgoth Brings Multiplayer To Legacy Of Kain

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
"The wind carried screams from the west; I could not help but smile, somebody else in the world was suffering more than I".

The Legacy of Kain games are the Shakespeare of gaming.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
SwimmingRock said:
New Legacy of Kain game
Yay! LoK is rad as fuck and I'm still bummed about Blood Omen 3 getting canceled.

Square Enix
What? Umm... why? What is going on here?

"Nosgoth is not being developed by [Legacy of Kain creator] Crystal Dynamics"
Oh, God. This is getting worse.

"multiplayer-focused entry"
Please don't do this. Drop the game and step away from the license.

Seriously, I went from really excited to really worried in about a minute. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not too thrilled about SquareEnix and their products as of late.
I'm gonna go with 'this'

and give the level of writing from Square as of late, I shudder to think how they'll mangle the lore of LoK, assuming it has a story at all (which, hint hint, was one of the major selling points)

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
I've been at peace with treating the series as dead for a while now, and given how little this seems to resemble the original titles, I find it hard to even count it as part of the series. I just hope they don't attempt to continue the main story with this, because that deserves its own damn single-player only game.

Other than that, I can't muster more than a disinterested shoulder shrug.

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
NO,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No, please by all that is sacred in gaming don't do this, does anyone in here has anyone inside that place that can make that not happen, name your price I have money.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
T ake one of the greatest single player games ever made and turn it into another MMO. Fuck you Square. Stop raping art.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Que automatic assumptions anything to do with multiplayer in a game that hasn't had multiplayer before is going to cause the apocalypse for said series because why actually hope it turns out well?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
League of Khain: the new f2p moba featuring all your favorite characters!

Pick from champions such as Raziel, Kain, Vorador, Moebius,Janos Audron or the Hylden Lord as they engage in team based deathmatches for the very future of Nosgoth!

Either that or its an mmo set before the culling of the vampires.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I knew that I was going to see people get mad the minute I saw the title. We only knew a few details and nothing about the gameplay. Yet, people are assuming....

I recall an old saying "When you assume...You make a " something. Can't recall the complete sentence.

Oh well, guess there's a better solution to all my problems.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
This is one of those things, similar to what happened with Syndicate, where it seems completely and utterly stupid to change one of these old IPs as much as they are(seemingly. Of course, we know pretty much nothing yet about this new Legacy of Kain. So there's that). Like Syndicate, Legacy of Kain is old enough that I'd say many current gamers would either not have an opinion on the old games or maybe would never have even heard of them before, meaning the old standby of selling a totally different game with an older name just for brand recognition makes no sense. Rebooting the old games and changing them radically, like they did with Syndicate, does absolutely nothing except alienate old fans.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sounds like a blatant Star Craft rip-off I remember seeing back in the 90's. It was a PC game that had a cover clearly had a couple marines fighting a bunch of hydralisks, but it was in no way, shape, or form Star Craft.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
This game is going to fail so hard it's disgusting.

Why would you take an older IP such as Legacy of Kain who at this point is really only known by the fans of the game and change said game into something that will inevitably end up being hated by the only people who remember it? Would it not be easier to just make a new world? It's not like people who don't know what a Nosgoth is are going to be deterred in any fashion from buying the game, but you're already looking at alienating the people who would buy another Legacy of Kain.

Oh Legacy of Kain...I lament thee. T^T

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
No.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why can't we just have a Soul Reaver Reboot? Come on, I don't want multiplayer LoK, I want a single-player experience about Kain and Raziel. Actually, I hope that after this title we can see a re-ignition to original series. I'll spare judgment until the moment people get to play this game. If it isn't all multiplayer focused then this could actually be nice. However; I think deviating too much from the main overarching story could seriously damage my faith in the series. After Dark Prophecy was scrapped that was the time when I started to begin to realize that the series is going down hill. I was hoping for some news on the eventually, but this isn't quite what I imagined.

Wait... Crystal isn't developing it? Oh FUCK OFF SQUARE ENIX!

Oct 2, 2012
I.... i just can't... I don't.... I mean... I...
Fuck it. Fuck all of this. I'm gonna go drown out the memory of this with near lethal amounts of alcohol and pretend, using all of my imagination, that this simply doesn;t exist and that I know nothing about it.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm optimistic, which is a rarity. I'd rather get another game in this series, and know that if it fails...it will fail SPECTACULARLY. I mean it will fail almost as much as FF14. It might be the final fail that finally sends SE to the spectral realm for good.

So, I'm optimistic that it will fail.

On the off chance its great then, yay.

I really only liked Soul Reaver anyways. Blood Omen was good but clunky. SR2 was a good story, more than a good game.

BO2 was a good game, rather than a good story.

Defiance was kinda lackluster in both regards, though it looked nice and played well. You'd think people would learn not to place all those convenient spikes on every wall. Gothic architecture + TK = win.

What I liked most in Soul Reaver, apart from the Kill Bill styled revenge story (way before the movies I know), was that killing vampires was actually a bit of a hassle.

You couldn't just beat the crap out of them. You had to find some water, sunlight, fire, or something pointy. And if you wanted that something pointy back, well they cam back to life.

Getting the Reaver Blade was cool and all but it trivialized the process.

If in Nosgoth we play as the last humans in the world, I imagine we won't be granted access to such super weapons.

Flamethrowers and swords mostly. Though I imagine a Super Mario Sunshine-borrowed F.L.U.D.D. device would take care of some of them handily.

If we play as vampires, lots of TK, but lots of weaknesses. Maybe you could chose which lieutenant you were sired by and as you level up you get more and more of their mutation. Which would really suck for the Rahabim. No more weakness to water, but no more legs either.

No one would choose Melchiah, unless you could be an undead juggernaut. Assuming that the Razielim could fly, idk how they got genocided so easily. That is a pretty huge advantage.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Vae Victus, Suffering to the Conquered.

Ironic that now I was now the one suffering. Not anything as Pedestrian as physical pain, but rather the cruel jab of impotent anger, the hunger for revenge. I hadn't cared for the outcome, only that i be granted a continuation of the greatest of stories. Sometimes, you get what you wish for. The Necromancer of Intellectual Property Square Enix offered me the chance to see more of the drama unfold and, like a Fool, I jumped at their offer without considering the cost..

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
"Hey! Let's release a multiplayer game aimed at an audience that want a singleplayer game! That'll work!"

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
This caused me to cry pure anguished suffering at my monitor for several whole minutes.

Seriously... WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS! I struggle to comprehend any trace of a thought process behind this decision... Not only do you take a series which is now almost wholly remembered by its hardcore fans but you are attempting to compete with it on some of the most competitive ground in the medium...

Square *Sodding* Enix go to the principle you are staying behind after school to be tutored on not making your classmates cry.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Damn it Square Enix!

We're making a new Deus Ex game! For the iPad.
We're making a new Legacy of Kain game! It's multiplayer only and not developed by Crystal Dynamics.

Maybe it'll be a co-op game. If that's the case and it'll get a PC release, it might be worth playing.

I've been waiting for a new LoK game ever since I finished Defiance (which I got on release), and a multiplayer game was definitely not what I expected.