Halo Legends Trailer Unveiled, Has Teddy Bear(?)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Halo Legends Trailer Unveiled, Has Teddy Bear(?)

Feel like watching the trailer for the collection of short anime-style features set in the Halo universe that was announced yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93371-Halo-Legends-Anime-Miniseries-in-the-Works] at Comic-Con? Of course you do.

[gametrailers=53158]

Not much to say about this one - just watch the movie. At first glance, the animation and artwork look pretty good; Master Chief and the other Spartans look exactly as they should (though I have to admit, I groaned upon seeing the one Spartan with the serial number '1337.')

Just judging from this short trailer, it looks like not all of the features will star the Master Chief (or even necessarily star his Spartan comrades) - well, unless that one blonde girl we see in the garden is actually the Chief, and she's been pulling a very effective Viola-is-Cesario this entire time.

In fact, if Microsoft is using Halo Legends as a way to flesh out the Halo universe in general beyond the games, books, and whatever else they've got these days ... it'd actually make sense for at least one of the shorts to act as an accompaniment for the upcoming Halo: ODST, no? Hell, it might be effective in actually getting viewers to care about a brand-new cast of characters more than they usually would.

Even if they don't, there's still the Chief and an Elite dueling with energy swords, so I can't really complain ... except about that random teddy bear. That seemed a bit out of place, I feel.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/24/halo-legends-trailer-includes-3d-swording-surprise-teddy-bears/])

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Good animation, as you said.
Looks interesting, and while Chief being a girl would be quite the tweest, his gender has been established in the books. Oh, well.

DasAShinyGolash

May 20, 2009
:O

my god. you disgust me bungie. im not saying because of personal distaste for anime, but since bungie's an american company, and i feel as if they're just doing this cuz anime's a popular medium. however, i do remember bungie making an anime game, i think, so i might be wrong there

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
This does look rather interesting i must admit. It has piqued my interest. I shall have to investigate it further methinks

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Did... Did I see at one point Master Chief being picked up by a giant gorilla?

Doesn't look all that amazing, actually. The only real thing given away by this trailer was the developers. I'll look into this. Maybe.

Death916

Apr 21, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Let's see, weird Japanese Feudal Music? Check. Teddy Bear Keychain? Check. Elite that looks like he climbed out Naruto? Check. Someone making a gunfight look like a battle in Gundam? Check. Yep, it's an anime. A good-looking one too.
ahahah i laughed about your gundamn comment. that really is what it looks like

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Looks mad crazy yo!

Such a Bones whore. I think I felt a tinge of excitement when their name came up. I think this looks very, very promising in my eyes. Previews on Xbox live means this thing is going to sell like stink in a sauna.

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
DasAShinyGolash said:

my god. you disgust me bungie. im not saying because of personal distaste for anime, but since bungie's an american company, and i feel as if they're just doing this cuz anime's a popular medium. however, i do remember bungie making an anime game, i think, so i might be wrong there
yeah, they made Oni, which was fucking awsome. So stop complaining, just because anime is japanese originally doesnt mean we cant use it as americans. The Animatrix was 10x better than the original matrix in my opinion, since it actually bothered to explain the matrix itself in a beautiful artistic way, using many different art styles.

And with such sick companies like Bones and I.G working on it, its a must see.

Harold Donchee

Jul 6, 2009
Im not sure about this personally. Anime is alright. Some of it is even good, but the teddy bear and the blond headed pretty boy made me a little nervous.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
It does look good. My only complaint is I hate it when they switch between traditional animation and CGI. This is war pick a side.

And what is up with all the teddy bear hate? It is just a momento. Would it be less offensive if it was a heart shaped pendant? Not even 5 minutes and there is a thread about it. Come on.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The original concept of Halo was partially inspired by anime, hell the "Faceless Armored Hero" is much more a Japanese Trope than an American One, American IP's almost always want to associate a "face" with their characters, just look at the Judge Dread debacle way back in the 90's.

Still, I think this actually looks pretty good and since BONES is handling the Animation in one Episode, that one is garaunteed to be slick, professional and fun to watch.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Amnestic said:
well, unless that one blonde girl we see in the garden is actually the Chief
She's wearing red Spartan armour, so I doubt it :p
Also, Master Chief has been confirmed to be a man in the books, I'm not sure if you knew that or not :)

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
DasAShinyGolash said:

Yeah, what the hell is up with a company doing something because it's popular?!? Oh yeah. They're a company. They need to make money. Bastards.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
popdafoo said:
Did... Did I see at one point Master Chief being picked up by a giant gorilla?
Brutes? That's basically what they are...

And what's with everyone assuming the Spartan in any of these previews is the Chief? All Spartans have the same armor... for all you guys know, he ain't in any of the shorts :p