Bungie: Reach Will be Our Last Halo Trilogy Content

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bungie: Reach Will be Our Last Halo Trilogy Content

Halo has been quite the cash cow for Microsoft and Bungie, but even it must come to a (relative) end - according to Bungie, the upcoming prequel Halo: Reach will be the last title they develop for the "current Halo trilogy."

Speaking with VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/21/bungie-halo-reach-will-be-our-last-injection-into-the-halo-trilogy/], Bungie's community manager Brian Jarrard said that Halo: Reach will be the last game the studio will develop about the Master Chief and humanity's war against the Covenant and Flood.

[blockquote]For now Reach is definitely our next big thing, and it doesn't really fit into the Halo trilogy itself. It's definitely a prequel, standalone offering, so we don't have current plans to go back and inject more content into the current Halo trilogy ... I think ODST is going to be a nice exclamation point, a nice rounding up of multiplayer content and a different side-story, but right now Reach is our focus.[/blockquote]

Of course, one has to note the phrase "current Halo trilogy," which seems like a sneaky get-out-of-jail-free card to me. What's to stop them from doing another game and calling it a sequel, eh?

Reach will come with a multiplayer beta when ODST ships September 22nd and is slated for a release in Fall 2010.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't three games equal a trilogy? Halo Reach seems to be a fourth game, ergo it's not a trilogy. No, wait, it's a fifth, since ODST is technically going to be the fourth.

Dear god, someone needs to tell these people that their games suck.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Isn't the rule of thumb that no trilogy should have more than four entries?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The Great JT said:
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't three games equal a trilogy? Halo Reach seems to be a fourth game, ergo it's not a trilogy.
Actually, isn't it the fifth alongside Halo: ODST making it a...uh...quintilogy?

Or is ODST being counted as an expansion pack to Halo 3 instead? :/ I always thought it was going to be a standalone title in the series.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Wasn't Halo 3 their last Halo Trilogy content? If I'm counting rightly, the Halo Trilogy will span six games, five of them from Bungie (not counting ports).

If the flood are involved in Reach I'm going to fly out and slap the entire Bungie staff. The flood wouldn't have been much of a surprise if they'd already attacked Reach now would they...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The Great JT said:
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't three games equal a trilogy? Halo Reach seems to be a fourth game, ergo it's not a trilogy.
ODST too so that is 5, this is what I was thinking though, maybe it should be called a Saga lie Aliens is.

Anyway, I can't see what they can do for Reach considering that it was altogether quite a short battle on the planet.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Amnestic said:
The Great JT said:
Actually, isn't it the fifth alongside Halo: ODST making it a...uh...quintilogy?

Or is ODST being counted as an expansion pack to Halo 3 instead? :/ I always thought it was going to be a standalone title in the series.
Well it's Halo 3: ODST, so I'm assuming it's being considered an expansion. Also, the article says that "the prequel to the trilogy", so Reach is the prequel to the three Halo games.

Anyway... I heard this a while ago.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
HG131 said:
Amnestic said:
The Great JT said:

It's an expansion pack, but it's the biggest expansion pack known to man. Reach is a prequel to the trilogy.
Well hopefully "biggest expansion pack known to man." means "It'll make up for the god awful Halo 3 campaign mode."

Maybe they should make Halo: Reach 2 and Halo: Reach 3 so they can have a nice Star Wars style dealy going on.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
KDR_11k said:
Isn't the rule of thumb that no trilogy should have more than four entries?
Hitchhikers has five. Six if you count that one that doesn't count because some other bloke wrote it.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
Cargando said:
Halo will become to Bungie what Star Wars is to Lucas Arts.
sad, but true. it's maybe just my oppinion, but the innovation has kinda bled out of the halo series.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I would consider Halo3: ODST a full game, it's just that their reselling you most of Halo 3.

I mean it's a stand-alone disc with all the maps and all the multiplier aspects of halo 3, except that it has some new features and a campaign.

So if you bought any of the map packs and thought you paid for the multiplayer aspect of halo 3 then think again when you pay another full $60 for ODST.