Modern Warfare 2 Is GameStop's Most Preordered Game Ever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Modern Warfare 2 Is GameStop's Most Preordered Game Ever

Not even raging controversies can stop the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 behemoth - GameStop has reported that the title has the most preorders of any game in its history.

Now, it's safe to say that Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 is an game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95279-Modern-Warfare-2-Trailer-Criticized-For-Going-Too-Far], and it hasn't even come out yet. Nevertheless, controversy appears to do nothing to stem the flood of gamers eager to answer the Call of Duty.

Tony Bartel, Gamestop's executive vice president for merchandising and marketing told USA Today's Game Hunters [http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2009/11/modern-warfare-2-invades-game-hunters-/1?csp=34] that demand for the title was a literal peak for the specialty retailer: "By all indicators, we anticipate Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be the biggest entertainment launch of all time ... As of today, the number of pre-order reservations we've taken for the game is the highest for any title we've ever sold in our 6,200 store network."

Or, as Kanye West might have put it if he were a GameStop spokesperson delivering an incredibly overused joke: "Look, Halo 3 and Wrath of the Lich King, we're really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but Modern Warfare 2 has the most pre-orders of all time. Of all time!"

GameStop isn't the only retailer that is planning midnight launch events, either - over 2,600 Wal-Marts across North America will be selling copies of the game at 12:01 am on November 10th, with the first 20 customers getting special editions personally autographed by the Infinity Ward development team (which is 52,000 signatures in total, if I'm reading that right).

Meanwhile, Amazon.com has been searching for the "The Call of Duty-est Town in America" [http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_85832251_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000440291&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_r=0TV4BT2S1F1N8MCEXJTW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=496374051&pf_rd_i=468642] judging on the number of pre-orders. At the moment, the top spot is held by - dramatic pause - Grand Forks, North Dakota. Okay, didn't actually see that one coming. Go figure.

With all of this, it's no wonder that MW2 is expected to be the juggernaut of the holiday season - and arguably the biggest reason why every other game is now coming out in Spring 2010 instead.

(via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/03/modern-warfare-2-is-gamestops-most-pre-ordered-game-ever/])

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
How many copies of COD:MW2 are being bought for X-mas resale one could wonder. Expect to see copies on E-Bay going for $200-250 or more, I could almost guarantee that.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hah on the day i canceled my pre-order for the PC version, my local GS retailer had over 800 pre-orders for the game. this is of course 3 weeks ago. so yeah they might as well just not stock any other game that day. there isnt enough self space for all the MW2 :p

tehroc said:
How many copies of COD:MW2 are being bought for X-mas resale one could wonder. Expect to see copies on E-Bay going for $200-250 or more, I could almost guarantee that.
Assuming they actually have a shortage <.< it would be comical if they arent short.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Honestly I could now care less. I play through the fantastic single player 4 times in a week, and then what? Multiplayer is what gives it any sense of longevity whatsoever. And they ruin the whole shooting match just cause they can. Fuck it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Bloody hell... god damnit, why does this happen to Activison?

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I'm shocked.

No, no sarcasm at all. Really, I'm shocked. For cereal. Super-duper cereal... But I digress.

I'm not excited for this game at all. Seems I'm literally the only one.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
tehroc said:
Nah, they won't sell out of game disc though. Considering my store has about 200 of them(360) and 24 (ps3) when we normally get 12 of each, i'd say we are good.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I fail to see why this is so huge, I mean I enjoyed COD4, it was quite fun, but no better then a whole load of similarly good games I've played.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
I don't get why this is huge. It's a typical war game like every other war game out there. CoD MW is good enough for me.

Keivz

Dec 4, 2008
I preordered at Amazon which gave me $20 towards my next videogame purchase. Seeing as how I've been planning on buying 2K10 for the PC ($19) I'd say that's a good deal making MW2 effectively $40 new.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Tenmar said:
Congrats video game consumers. We have effectively increased the price of video games again from here on out. Look forward to video games costing $70 in the US and $90 in Britain and the rest of the world.

Yeah for the uninformed consumer base!
GameStop doesn't operate in the UK, so it might be my fellow countrymen have blockaded the price hike... but I doubt it...