Modern Warfare 2 Is GameStop's Most Preordered Game Ever

j1-2themax

Jun 30, 2008
Grand Falls, North Dakota? How does that place have the most preorders?

Then again, what else are you going to do in North Dakota?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Amnestic said:
Catkid906 said:
Why did they delay games to Spring? Why not Christmas 2010? Presumabley, we would have far less HUGE releases, and if there is a new COD, it'll be made by Treyarch, and who gives two things about them?

Tweens, thats who...
Because a November release alongside two other high-grade titles (Assassin's Creed 2, Dragon Age: Origins) not to mention other releases up to the Christmas period will all be vying for spots on young lad's and lass' present lists. When your mother tells you you can only have one game off your list of choices, it's risky for sales of a new IP when you're going up against either teams who have been in the RPG making industry for years (Bioware) or sequels to much loved and desired games (MW2, AC2).
I said 2010, not 2009. Dragon Age is already out. It's not coming out next year as well as this year... Unless they do a GOTY edition.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Amnestic said:
Malicious said:
I am so gonna buy that game, its sales will top GTA IV and WoW the way its looking.
That's really not that hard. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games]
Super Mario Bros 1... 40 Million sales.

Holy fucking shit.

I know it came with the console but that's still impressive.

Mario 3... 18 million.

That's more than twice Halo 3.

Now I'm know I'm right when I say that the first goomba has killed more gamers than any other enemy.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Catkid906 said:
Amnestic said:
Catkid906 said:
Why did they delay games to Spring? Why not Christmas 2010? Presumabley, we would have far less HUGE releases, and if there is a new COD, it'll be made by Treyarch, and who gives two things about them?

Tweens, thats who...
Because a November release alongside two other high-grade titles (Assassin's Creed 2, Dragon Age: Origins) not to mention other releases up to the Christmas period will all be vying for spots on young lad's and lass' present lists. When your mother tells you you can only have one game off your list of choices, it's risky for sales of a new IP when you're going up against either teams who have been in the RPG making industry for years (Bioware) or sequels to much loved and desired games (MW2, AC2).
I said 2010, not 2009. Dragon Age is already out. It's not coming out next year as well as this year... Unless they do a GOTY edition.
Apologies, read over the year. Brainfart, sorry.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Shame on you Funk. I'd pretend I didnt hear that lame joke from you, but other posters make it hard.

Not surprising it was very pre-ordered...but it still has the lamest pre-order incentive from Game-Stop. A "chance" to get something. I mean, beats an action figure and map if you win...but you probably wont.

deffel2000

Sep 22, 2009
I canceled my preorder (PC).
But i will not buy it for my Xbox or PS3...playing shooters on consoles
is kind of lame when you are used to a mouse and also the people you
play with are even less mature than on PC.

I will rent it for PC for the singleplayer for sure though :p

Maybe someone should point out that 3/4 of all preorders are defacto illegal
because they are made from or for kids ^^

Greetings

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
I'm curious to know if the number also includes those who have cancelled their pre order.

Maikan Bacon

Jan 28, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I wonder how many of those pre-orders are for people under 18.

I also wonder how many of those will be happily fulfilled.
One of those under-age pre-orders would be from me, on play.com

Yay for parents' credit cards!

Also if I don't receive my game on day of release because of the postage strikes I'll be pissed.
One of those Pre-Orders would also be for me, lol.
But i'm taking me mother to the midnight release at the Game store in my town, but i'm getting it for £35 as my mother knows a dude that works in there and he's using his staff discount for me. :D EPIX WINZ.

Feb 13, 2008
Maikan Bacon said:
But i'm taking me mother to the midnight release at the Game store in my town, but i'm getting it for £35 as my mother knows a dude that works in there and he's using his staff discount for me. :D EPIX WINZ.
So you're proud of the fact that you're breaking 2 laws under your mother's guise to get a game that's had the good stuff taken out of; and you're publicly broadcasting this.

...Amazing... Kotick was right. What a depressing thought.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Who bets that it will break 3 records, most pre-ordered, top selling ever and most pirated?

Maikan Bacon

Jan 28, 2009
Maikan Bacon said:
So you're proud of the fact that you're breaking 2 laws under your mother's guise to get a game that's had the good stuff taken out of; and you're publicly broadcasting this.

...Amazing... Kotick was right. What a depressing thought.
Theoretically, not reeeally breaking the law if we're honest here; age ratings are mroe "guide lines" we all know it.
and theoretically, my mums friend is doing a favour, and my mum is buying the game and gifting it to me.... where's the law broken here?

Feb 13, 2008
Maikan Bacon said:
Theoretically,
Now you know your pushing it ;)
not reeeally breaking the law if we're honest here; age ratings are mroe "guide lines" we all know it.
So's the ones for alcohol, tobacco, knives, glue...
and theoretically, my mums friend is doing a favour, and my mum is buying the game and gifting it to me.... where's the law broken here?
He's under a legal obligation not to use the discount, she's under a legal obligation not to buy it for you. You're not actually breaking the law at all, but they are on your behalf.

The guy who runs a 3 minute mile when coked up isn't, theoretically, breaking any laws; but it's hardly a record, or a good example to others, is it?

But...it's both of their choices. I just think it may not be the best idea in the world to broadcast it.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I'm not surprised. People want it. So people are going to preorder it so they can play it the minute it comes out

Maikan Bacon

Jan 28, 2009
That post made me grin, lol.

Maikan Bacon said:
Theoretically,
Now you know your pushing it ;)
not reeeally breaking the law if we're honest here; age ratings are mroe "guide lines" we all know it.
So's the ones for alcohol, tobacco, knives, glue...
In the UK: Legal age to buy tobacco: 18. Legal age to smoke it: 16.
I am 16, if I wanted to smoke it, my mum would have to buy it.
Alcohol: 18. But age is throw out the window if you have a responsible adult who gives concent for thier child to drink alcohol on thier property. :p

If we're really honest, the age is only there to put it in a violence categlory etc, its guidelines for parents, how each parent takes it is thier choice.
He's under a legal obligation not to use the discount, she's under a legal obligation not to buy it for you. You're not actually breaking the law at all, but they are on your behalf.
The whole staff discount thing.... despite legal obligation we all know it happens in one way or another everywhere. :p I went into Costa Coffee the other day and ordered two medium hot chocolates, I pay for two medium, the guy behind him who makes the drinks is my good friend, he makes me two large hot chocolates. Yes, a lesser example, but he wasn't legally obliged, he did it out of friendship...

Rules are there to be broken, live a little. ;) :p lol.

Feb 13, 2008
Maikan Bacon said:
Rules are there to be broken, live a little. ;) :p lol.
Oh I do, I was in pubs way before 18. Just saying that MW's greatest pre-orders of all time isn't exactly within the rules, given that all the teens that can't buy it officially are doing it under the counter.

And when I give myself discounts, you can be sure no-one finds out. :)