Dead Rising 2's Zombie Hordes Dwarf the Original

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dead Rising 2's Zombie Hordes Dwarf the Original

Dead Rising 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Rising-Xbox-360/dp/B000F3AADE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278699783&sr=1-1] will have "thousands."

If you asked most gamers what they remembered from Dead Rising, they'd probably tell you one of three things: 1.) Frank West has covered wars, y'know; 2.) It's pretty awesome being able to kill zombies with almost anything in the whole mall; 3.) Holy crap there were a lot of zombies to kill!

The game was noted for its massive amounts of enemies onscreen at any one time (on the Xbox 360, anyway) - but series mastermind Keiji Inafune says that Dead Rising 2 has topped that in a big way. "In the previous version 500 zombies would appear on screen at the same time. That's an insane number, considering that only about 20 appeared on screen at any given time in Resident Evil," Inafune said in an interview on the Capcom website [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/interview/2009/vol08/03.html].

"In Dead Rising 2, literally thousands of zombies will appear onscreen at the same time."

Even if we take Inafune's "literally thousands" at the lowest possible number - that's multiple thousands, or 2,000 - that's still four times as many zombies as were in the first game. And we already knew that developer Blue Castle was hoping to have a whopping 6,000 on screen at once [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90563-Dead-Rising-2-to-Have-Most-Characters-Ever], making it the game with the most entities on-screen ever.

Looks like Chuck Greene is going to have to get creative [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91294-Dead-Rising-2-Trailer-Features-Chainsaw-on-a-Stick] to deal with those undead, brain-eating multitudes.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Pfft, give me 10 minutes with that motorcycle and chainsaw combination and we'll cripple those numbers.

I take this as a personal challenge!

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
The first thing I heard about Dead Rising 2 was that they were up to 1600 zombies at once, and were still pushing for more. That was a long time ago.

Liked the first enough to warrant a buy on this one. As long as they fixed the [explicative] saving system, it'll be great.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
That's great guys...I'm not tired though. I don't want to take a nap. I want to just save my progress and continue on with killing. Maybe from some sort of...menu. YEAH! And we can make the menu accessible with just the push of a button... maybe put the button on the center of the controller, so we don't accidentally hit it. The menu could have multiple choices:

Resume Game
Options
Save
Quit

...is it that fucking hard?

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Lemon Of Life said:
Nice, but how many of those zombies know what love really is.
what is love? I don't know, but baby dont hurt me.

OT: Love is the feeling I have for this game series. Hell look at my stupid avatar. Sure servbots appeared elsewhere first but I don't care. It always been all about Dead Rising for me. Its my favorite game of all time and the only reason I bought a 360.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That...will be epic!

I just got one word for that...TARGETS! =D

Give me a lawnmower

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't really trust this game.

The first Dead Rising was a cult classic that showed us "America" the way only the Japanese could show it. But now that it switched to an American developer, I'm not sure how much of the original satire will remain.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
newfoundsky said:
That's great guys...I'm not tired though. I don't want to take a nap. I want to just save my progress and continue on with killing. Maybe from some sort of...menu. YEAH! And we can make the menu accessible with just the push of a button... maybe put the button on the center of the controller, so we don't accidentally hit it. The menu could have multiple choices:

Resume Game
Options
Save
Quit

yeah yeah, the save syetm was broken. I disagree 100% percent. I thought the save system added seomthing to the game. It produced an even greater sense of dread and made the game much more difficult. I remember the feeling of desperately trying to run to the bathroom and not die in the process. It was exhillirating.

Aug 25, 2009
See, great, kudos to putting so many zombies in your game, but then again, Valve managed intense zombie fun with about fifty on screen, leading me to conclude that having thousands of zombies is not the essence of the best zombie horror games.

Resident Evil made us jump out of our skin with two zombie dogs and a window, L4D gives us nightmares with tense survival action, Silent Hill manages to be bed wettingly terrifying years after its initial release with the use of barely any monsters anywhere ever.

Well done on putting so many characters on screen at once, but it won't impress me unless I find the experience actually scary.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
As long as my weapons last longer then 5 hits I would be happy.. Was a bit annoyed that a damn sword would break after killing a few zombies... Or that the lawnmower just magically breaks after a certain #...

I've hit people with a 2x4 before, they don't exactly break easily..

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
khaimera said:
newfoundsky said:

Resume Game
Options
Save
Quit

yeah yeah, the save syetm was broken. I disagree 100% percent. I thought the save system added seomthing to the game. It produced an even greater sense of dread and made the game much more difficult. I remember the feeling of desperately trying to run to the bathroom and not die in the process. It was exhillirating.
...When you go to save your game, you generally have to QUIT playing. Like...right then. No time to go to the bathroom or take a nap.