Dead Rising 2's Zombie Hordes Dwarf the Original

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
I think there was a reason people never tried to fit 2 thousand enemies on screen at once.. BECAUSE HOW DO YOU FIGHT 2 THOUSAND PEOPLE/ZOMBIES?

I would go through weapons in dead rising one extremely fast and often have to flee..

let's hope the FPS is good.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
The Doom .wad Nuts had over 10,000 enemies on screen at one time.

Legend of J

Feb 28, 2010
I WASENT the biggest fan of dead rising it was an epic game but i didn't love it. However the fact they are topping the level of zombies is to be expected. If not then thats not a added bonus to the game. However i do belive i will get dead rising 2.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
0_o

What is going on between those two in that picture?!?!

OT: Awesome. It'll be like the tunnels from the first one, but just everywhere.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
clauwman said:
Yeah... Sorry John but this isn't news. I'm 99% sure this was announced when they released the E3 demo. Oh well. What I was hoping to get out of this article was an actual release date. This, Portal 2, and the new Fallout, are all going to come out very close it seems.
September the third last time I checked my preorder. Thats Britain though, so America might get it eariler.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Hubilub said:
Pfft, give me 10 minutes with that motorcycle and chainsaw combination and we'll cripple those numbers.

I take this as a personal challenge!
The Chainsaw. Tearing up zombies for decades. I'm surprised it is still a valuable weapon. You'd have thought even zombies would figure out something was bad for them. I've just given myself a rather funny thought. 2000 groaning zombies coming towards Chuck Green. Out comes the chainsaw.

"RUN AWAY! He's got a chainsaw!"

Away the horde goes.

Seriously though, this is awesome. I can't wait to kill 2 thousands zombies with dinner plates and a roulette wheel.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Spitfire175 said:
Shannon Matchett said:
So much hate... Get valium, man.
Did you actually read the post other than the part that said "there has been more than 6000 entities on screen"? Because I IN NO WAY COMPARED THE GAMES IN TERMS OF QUALITY OR THEIR CONTENT AND EVEN IMPLIED MY UTMOST RESPECT TO DEAD RISING 2. In case that slipped your radar... But you cannot deny that total war can present more than 6000 individually rendered figures on screen. And we can have an example from a more recent game as well, you may have heard of Empire: Total war. Mod the game a bit and you'll have about 10 different looking models in each unit, it's not 2D copypasta anymore. The point in question here was numbers. Not what they do. In pure numbers, 6000<15,000. I didn't want to compare the game engines running the little pixelated men.

Now stop stabbing people over the internet and listen (read, whatever). Dead rising 2 will probably be stonking great. It will have huge hordes of zombies that all act individually and look properly zombie-ish. Technically 6000 of individually acting entities is unparalleled, no question about it. I'm looking forward to seeing it, and I don't even have an Xbox 360. I just wanted to point out 6000 isn't unheard of as far as graphics are concerned, and not a word about the AI or dismemberment possibilities.
Thanks to the use of Darthmod it's possible to have about 20,000 men on screen at once. I think it was mentioned the upper limit was 24,000 but 20,000 was all I could get (bye bye framerate when the actual fighting started).

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
John Funk said:
6,000 on screen at once, making it the game with the most entities on-screen ever.
Calling BS on that claim, the Total War series could do several times more then that since 2002.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Out of curiosity, am I the only person who read this article and immediately thought something along the lines of, "Now if only they applied this kind of mass army display to the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series?"

...I am?

...now I'm sad. v.v

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
newfoundsky said:
That's great guys...I'm not tired though. I don't want to take a nap. I want to just save my progress and continue on with killing. Maybe from some sort of...menu. YEAH! And we can make the menu accessible with just the push of a button... maybe put the button on the center of the controller, so we don't accidentally hit it. The menu could have multiple choices:

Resume Game
Options
Save
Quit

...is it that fucking hard?
No, but it's a fantastic way to ruin a game. You should never ever ever, have to or be able to save except when you're done playing. Saying "Oh but I might want to cheat" is not a good reason for breaking the atmosphere like that.

Superfly CJ

Feb 14, 2010
Rack said:
newfoundsky said:
That's great guys...I'm not tired though. I don't want to take a nap. I want to just save my progress and continue on with killing. Maybe from some sort of...menu. YEAH! And we can make the menu accessible with just the push of a button... maybe put the button on the center of the controller, so we don't accidentally hit it. The menu could have multiple choices:

Resume Game
Options
Save
Quit

...is it that fucking hard?
No, but it's a fantastic way to ruin a game. You should never ever ever, have to or be able to save except when you're done playing. Saying "Oh but I might want to cheat" is not a good reason for breaking the atmosphere like that.
I fully agree. Despite some dodgy wording regarding continuation, the save system in the first game was perfect. People praise the game for it's tension (having done several Saint run-throughs, I can wholly support this), yet don't seem to realise the only reason it was so tense is because you couldn't save every time things looked a bit dangerous.

Besides, it's not even like bathrooms were that far apart. The main areas in the mall (Wonderland, Paradise, Al Fresca) all had bathrooms that were easily accessible.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I have a feeling theres gonna be a new meme involving OVER 9000 about this. (i know its only 6k)

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Spitfire175 said:
John Funk said:
And we already knew that developer Blue Castle was hoping to have a whopping 6,000 on screen at once [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90563-Dead-Rising-2-to-Have-Most-Characters-Ever], making it the game with the most entities on-screen ever.
Back up there, Mr. Funk. 6000? Most "entities" probably means individuals, but are they all individually rendered and unique? I doubt that. Does the graphical level remain the same when the zombies are far away? I don't think so, says mister filtering.

You know, I fought 12,000 man battles back in 2002. Total War has given the player the chance to have well up to 15,000 individually rendered soldiers on the battlefield, with graphics that don't burn your eyes away with sheer terribleness. So I believe "on-screen ever" is just a lie here. Well, perhaps not a lie but at least not true.

I mean in no way to understate the respectable number "6000", it's an astonishing achievement, (if it's true) in a 3rd person game with supposedly top of the line visuals. but when it comes down to it, 6000 is not a record, not by a long way.
Yup, epic battles were already done with total war.
Or, IIRC, ~100 000 were rendered with "Massive", the program used for the LOTR movies.. but that doesnt really count.
Now.. these numbers in zombies, in a city.. that would make things interesting.

clauwman

Jan 31, 2009
Ah yes. Gamespot says August 31st. It's a damn shame you guys get the stuff later on. Hopefully not too long though, like maybe the first week of September.

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
Monshroud said:
As long as my weapons last longer then 5 hits I would be happy.. Was a bit annoyed that a damn sword would break after killing a few zombies... Or that the lawnmower just magically breaks after a certain #...

I've hit people with a 2x4 before, they don't exactly break easily..
Totally agree. That was the only big complaint I had with the 1st one. Well... that & I wanted to beat that snotty Otis. The fact weapons had such short lives did force us to try everything in sight rather than sticking with the katana the whole game. 2 reinforcing magazines made them last quite a while at least. 3 mags & those chainsaws lasted most of the game.

scarab7 said:
Anyone played through the whole first Dead Rising? For those you that didn't, you had to beat story mode, which had time limitations on events, before you could roam free and kill anything you liked. On top that, the free roaming of Dead Rising 1 had degenerating health. I know the more zombies the merrier, I'm all for that, but I'd love the opportunity to cave in some zombie skulls with a moose skull without having to worry about time. Even better if it will actually help me progress in story mode making it easier to do things.
WISH GRANTED!
You don't have to beat the story mode to roam free and kill anything you liked without time restrictions. The timed events were ONLY regarding story driven events. If you missed a deadline, you didn't get to solve the story, but you had a choice to keep on playing until the helicopter returns for you. :-D On top of that, if you kept on playing, (despite missing a deadline,) all those zombie kills would help Frank level up & become stronger. When you die you can choose to "Save status and quit", and you keep all of Frank's new abilities in your new game. :-D
(How'd you miss that?)

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
I appreciate the amount of zombies, but how do they intend to FIT that many zombies on the screen? And even though there are that many, how many will you actually be FIGHTING at any one time?

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
goldenheart323 said:
WISH GRANTED!
You don't have to beat the story mode to roam free and kill anything you liked without time restrictions. The timed events were ONLY regarding story driven events. If you missed a deadline, you didn't get to solve the story, but you had a choice to keep on playing until the helicopter returns for you. :-D On top of that, if you kept on playing, (despite missing a deadline,) all those zombie kills would help Frank level up & become stronger. When you die you can choose to "Save status and quit", and you keep all of Frank's new abilities in your new game. :-D
(How'd you miss that?)
Wish not granted. Some Deadlines were mandatory, as in if you missed it you'd lose the game. The game wasn't as free roaming as I had hoped for. DR made you follow the main deadlines forcing you to keep the continuity of the story. Have you seen all the endings? They kind of force you into most of them. I'd rather have more freedom to explore the mall and figure out how to navigate it from one whole experience. Not level up through "quests" (Which is faster then killing zombies), save and restart, so I can be strong enough to go through areas they first present you with. If you weigh the options, bashing zombies in the game on your free time was considered a waste of time compared to all the other things the game intended players to do. I just want to smash zombie with the silly loot with out saying "You lost the story, sucks to be you".