Gears of War 3 Gets Release Date and Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gears of War 3 Gets Release Date and Trailer

New weapons and equal opportunities arrive in the third instalment of the Gears of War series.

[gametrailers=64418]

We all knew it was coming, even before Microsoft accidentally let it slip, but Gears of War 3 has been officially announced, and it brings with it new weapons and shows female COGs for the first time. Epic's design director, Cliff Bleszinski, called the game "the worst kept secret in the video game industry," during his appearance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last night, and then went on to say:

"When we released Gears of War more than three years ago, we set out to tell the world an unforgettable story of bravery and sacrifice in the face of insurmountable odds, and a year from now, players will get the chance to experience the final chapter in the story of Marcus Fenix and his companions in Delta Squad."

The trailer shows Marcus Fenix using a double-barrelled shotgun, and shows a female COG for the first time, which Bleszinski confirmed via twitter [http://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/12102972525] was Anya, taking a much more active role than she has in previous Gears of War games.

Gears of War 3 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77663] will be released on Xbox 360 on April 5th 2011, in North America and Asia, on April 7 in Japan then April 8 in Europe and all other countries.

Source: Shack News [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63271]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
FINALLY! But then again, why do I care? I don't even have an xBox... *sad panda face*

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Yay, another one with depressing music. Was that pompei in the video? I still need to finish 1&2.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Waitwaitwait, that was Anya? Anya?
WAT.
But she's a radio person, she has no combat training! Why wasn't she fighting before? GWARGH.

Still, okay trailer, sort of excited for it to be released.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Damn.. I still haven't bothered to keep playing the first one cuz it was all in black and white...

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
WAT.
But she's a radio person, she has no combat training! Why wasn't she fighting before? GWARGH.

Everyone in the Cog has Military training. She used to be a soldier in the pendulum wars even though she DID do quite a bit of radio work there. Point is, she's in the army, she knows how to fight.

As I noted in the other thread, Dom has a rockin' old man beard there. Can't say I'm a fan of the new armor. I guess I liked it when they looked like walking tanks.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
This looks pretty good, and it should be a fun game.
I'll probably have to either ignore it, or pick up the first two when I get a 360.

Also, what was the second game that Cliffy B promised to announce?
Or was that just trying to recover from the massive screw-up with the trailer on the XBLA?

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Not as good as the Rendevouz with Death trailer for 2 (yes I know I misspelled that) but pretty good.

Also, Cliff? I'll play your game and enjoy it. You have an innate understanding of how to make the Gears game reallllllly fun and thus I will enjoy it immensely.
Just don't ask me to give a shit about your characters.

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
There was never GoW for the master race so I'm not bothered, nice music tho, and I like the idea with the pompeyan like location, would be cool if that would be in the game.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Looking forward to it. Gears of War isn't among my favorites in gaming, but the first two titles were still good, solid entertainment.

Hard to imagine mankind could be considered even more fucked than at the end of the last game... wonder what went wrong this time.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Shockolate said:
hazabaza1 said:
WAT.

Everyone in the Cog has Military training. She used to be a soldier in the pendulum wars even though she DID do quite a bit of radio work there. She's fighting now because they're even more desparate.

As I noted in the other thread, Dom has a rockin' old man beard there. Can't say I'm a fan of the new armor. I guess I liked it when they looked like walking tanks.
Didn't Anya have redish hair in the last game? Or am I thinking of someone else?

And I had to double take on Dom, I couldn't tell whether that was him with the beard. =/

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, now we gotta wait and see if it will live up to all the hype.

Great to see it been talked about at least

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
One badass beard Mr Santiago has now. Just like a good latino named person should have.

Apr 28, 2008
Ben Legend said:
Didn't Anya have redish hair in the last game? Or am I thinking of someone else?

And I had to double take on Dom, I couldn't tell whether that was him with the beard. =/
Know what you mean. Freaked me right the fuck out...

OT: Wow, I can't believe I'm actually kind of exited. Then again I never hated the Gears series, just had a whole "meh" felling towards them.

Either way, I liked the first game's trailer better.

Wait...

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Interesting, at first I thought the blonde haired woman was Anya. But I'm not so sure, perhaps the final sibling in the carmine family?

Edit: Damn you Cliff, you'll release the game just before I go in to writing finals.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Sonicron said:
Looking forward to it. Gears of War isn't among my favorites in gaming, but the first two titles were still good, solid entertainment.

Hard to imagine mankind could be considered even more fucked than at the end of the last game... wonder what went wrong this time.
They killed their last stronghold to try and stop the locust, and presmuably all thier manufacturing has gone too. So no more fancy weapons, no more uber armor and no more monster truck tanks.

Sounds absolutely fantastic. Back to the original style gears was going for.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
While Gears' story might not be solid gold on paper I'm at least interested enough to see how it ends.

I mean they had a pretty interesting thing going on with the whole locust civil war in the second one.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
teutonicman said:
Interesting, at first I thought the blonde haired woman was Anya. But I'm not so sure, perhaps the final sibling in the carmine family?
Nope, that's Anya. And there's actually 4 Carmine's. Clay (The oldest) is supposed to be in Gears 3, the other one, not a whole lotta info on, except he/she's name start's with D.