Super Mario Galaxy 2 Video Shows Mario 64 Level

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Video Shows Mario 64 Level

An upcoming section in Super Mario Galaxy 2 will look very, very familiar to anyone who loved the classic Super Mario 64.

The first Super Mario Galaxy [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75083] was - and is - one of my favorite Mario games of all time, but you can't say that the series isn't filled with classics, because it is. Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World are some of the best games ever made, as is Mario's first jump to 3D in Super Mario 64.

Now, I played the hell out of Mario 64. So when I watched the video you see above, my inner ten-year-old went into paroxysms of absolute nostalgic glee. This is Whomp's Fortress, only with Star Bits to collect instead of coins. Everything else is in the exact same positions you remember - it even has the 1UP at the top of the flagpole!

Is this the only Mario 64 area in the game? Will we see an entire galaxy made of retro levels? Would that be awesome? (Yes, yes it would).

The game is out here in North America this Sunday, May 23rd. Want to find out whether or not it's any good? Our verdict goes up tomorrow morning - be there, or be a loser.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I hope they throw more of the mario 64 levels in there, i would love to see the first area from there in MG2

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I've never liked any of the Mario games. Galaxy 2 is Mario's last chance to hook me.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sweet cripsy crap that is awesome. Not that I needed another reason to want this game, but there one is.

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Super Mario 64, the second game I ever had on that console, and it was epic. I loved how your air and health meters were the same thing, so to heal you just jumped in water and resurfaced XD

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Xzi said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I've never liked any of the Mario games. Galaxy 2 is Mario's last chance to hook me.
WTF is wrong with you? You didn't like Super Mario World? I've beat that game like twelve times, and it was never boring.
I even found Super Mario Bros 3 boring. And 64. And New Super Mario Bros (DS). And that other one I played whose name I forget...

I do like the RPGs, though.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
That's pretty cool. Mario 64 isn't all that nostalgic for me, but I liked the DS remake/re-release.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Oh man, hearing the music and seeing the castle again brings backs soo many memories.

I hope they bring back more Mario 64 levels.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
It looks like they are just doing it for memories sake.

It was a good game but I wish nintendo would leave it in the past....

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Damn that brought back a ton of flashbacks to me, would love to see some of the other worlds from Mario 64 done like that as well.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Xzi said:
WTF is wrong with you? You didn't like Super Mario World? I've beat that game like twelve times, and it was never boring.
I have the entirety of SMW memorized. I can do the whole thing with 100% completion in less than four hours. Only Chrono Trigger and the original Pokemon have taken up that much real estate in my head.

So the entire level is just copied and pasted from SM64? That kinda sucks. It would be like copying part of Hamlet into a Twilight novel. I mean yay, it's Hamlet, but if I wanna read Hamlet I'll just read Hamlet. If they add some SMG flavor to the level, that would be cool, but I didn't see any evidence of that from the video.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Holy!
Is that damned owl still there? I hated that owl. Controlled like something that controlled badly.
...I haven't played 64 in ages. Where's that cart?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009

Oh man that's so cool.

SM64 has a ton of memories for me, this was like a nuke filled with Nostalgia

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I think what's happening here is they've realised that the Mario games are so repetive that they could probably get away with just releasing mario 64 again (again) and noone will notice.