Valve: No PlayStation Move or 3D Support Until Portal 3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve: No PlayStation Move or 3D Support Until Portal 3

Valve has made it clear that the Portal series won't be getting Move or 3D television support until its third game at the earliest.

Valve may have softened on it's CVG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92333-Valve-Says-PS3-Complexity-Hinders-Game-Development]) that implementing support for the PS3's motion controller Move or for 3D would have to wait "until Portal 3."

Valve's Doug Lombardi said: "[Move and 3D] will have to wait for Portal 3 or another title. We won't be supporting those in Portal 2." Valve does not appear to believe that supporting Move or 3D matters for the next few years, if this comment is an indication, as Portal 2 is being released 3 to 4 years after the release of the original Portal. Portal 3 would presumably need another 2 to 4 years.

I can't say I'm disappointed, even though I haven't played a game in 3D or with Move yet and I do think that playing Portal 2 in 3D would be super awesome. However, when other developers are ending development [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101821-Heavy-Rain-Creator-Predicts-No-More-DLC] on additions to their games due to the addition of Move support, you've got to wonder if it's worth it. At least Valve won't be doing that anytime soon.

Portal 2 is scheduled to release on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC sometime in 2011. Its many gameplay additions were shown off [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101842-The-Portal-2-E3-Demo-Will-Give-You-a-Headache] earlier this year, making it appear to be worth the wait even if it won't bug your eyes out or allow you to play controller-free.

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
Not that I'm disappointed, but now that I think about it, playing Portal with the move would be pretty neat.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Nice!
Money well spent Valve! Do not waste time on those fancy motion mindless piece of crap WII ripoff controllers!

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Good, at least Valvr isn't jumping aboard the Motion Control boat. They should stay the same. Spending time making good games rather than time focusing on Motion control. And besides, there is software on the PC that will make it into a 3D picture anyway. Go PC.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Portal 3? What about Episode 3? God damn Valve, enought with the TF2 updates or games like L4D and Portal. WERE IS EPISODE 3? *Sad face*

Mr Smith

Apr 22, 2010
Seeing the step-up in quality/complexity from Portal to Portal 2, I think combing a Portal 3 with a 3D element will actually cause peoples' heads to a'splode.

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
It's good that they're waiting for a good few years before diving right in since 3D and Move will probably have some issues that need clearing up.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Portal in 3D would make my brain explode, and probably not in a good way. The first game caused me to set the controller down and stare at the screen, trying to figure out the next step in some puzzles. 3D would kill me.

And, because I'm sure someone will eventually say it, why are they talking about Portal 3 already? How about some news on that OTHER Valve series that should have a 3 in it now?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least I kniow Portal 2 will be gimmick free at least!

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
yeah still not interested in 3D for games and why did they announce a portal 3 isn't it too soon to talk a 3rd game when the 2nd game isn't even out

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
(rant)

Waitwaitwait-

Vavle's already planning Portal 3!?! For the love of fuck! Has Gabe Newell COMPLETELY forgotten the existence of Half-Life? You know, the game that kind of STARTED this fucking company in the first place!?! What the fuck!?!

Portal 2 come out next year, there have been countless updates to TF2, and Gordon Freeman is just watching his crowbar rust in a corner! What the Hell, valve!

(/rant)

I am sorry, but, wow. Valve's cake of ideas is going to go very stale very soon, if they just keep re-releasing Portal.