Valve: No PlayStation Move or 3D Support Until Portal 3

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
FinalHeart95 said:
They're waiting until Portal 3 so they can call it "Portal 3D".

Marketing genius.
Possibly the same reason Episode 3's taking so long? I think you're onto something here.

Anyway, I wouldn't really mind if they left Portal as it is, in all its 2D goodness. Heck, I didn't even know the PS3 would support 3D games.
Insta-kill energy balls flying out the screen towards me would do nothing but wreck my nerves.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Portal 3?

Ok how are they going to pull that off?

Your going to defeat Glados again in the future?

Im still waiting for Half Life 3.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Ih8pkmn said:
(rant)

Waitwaitwait-

Vavle's already planning Portal 3!?! For the love of fuck! Has Gabe Newell COMPLETELY forgotten the existence of Half-Life? You know, the game that kind of STARTED this fucking company in the first place!?! What the fuck!?!

Portal 2 come out next year, there have been countless updates to TF2, and Gordon Freeman is just watching his crowbar rust in a corner! What the Hell, valve!

(/rant)

I am sorry, but, wow. Valve's cake of ideas is going to go very stale very soon, if they just keep re-releasing Portal.
I hope he has. I'd rather see other characters of the half life series show up with new games than Freeman showing up to "end" the series.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
As many people have already noted, Portal 2 is complicated enough without adding 3D to it.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I wasn't thinking until now how awesome portal would be in 3D with the move.

May 5, 2010
Hey, I have a question: When was the last time Valve even mentioned Half Life?

Oh, and by the way, on a completely unrelated note, did anyone else notice that Mirdon (seen to your left there) has no eyebrows?

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Just a question. Will Playstation 3D be a new console or just an update for the old PS3?

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
I love you, Valve. Will you marry me?
So much common sense... it's rare these days, you know.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
So it's not happening ever? considering Valve's other project involving a 3...

ayanematrix

Jul 22, 2010
Considering that Valve itself is just starting PS3 development with Portal 2, it makes sense for them not to support the new controller and 3D elements. They want to make the game work and keep things interesting before having to add more to it, especially if the consumer never gets around to purchasing the additional add-ons necessary to play the game. Need I remind anyone that most currently available 3D televisions cost upwards of $3000 or more? That and HD sets have only started to make a stable addition to homes due to their falling prices.

As for Half-Life, I've heard rumors that the game has changed it's level design due to a modder they hired recently. Not sure how accurate it is, but it leads me to hope that things end well.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
The most interesting thing about this is the casual talk of a third game, or more.. Portal's one of those series I'd love to see as a continuing franchise, though.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Ya know sounds like to me they just really want everyone else to test the waters before they jump in with a making and funding a development team for the tech and see if any one wants to actually use it.

That would explain the 180 they did on the PS3 in general when they programmed for the PC and Xbox360 since the PS3 was considered to be far behind in last place and possibly not survive the generation why spend a ton of time and money if the medium could fail. Though the reason about Move and 3-D is far less condescending.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Kris015 said:
Just a question. Will Playstation 3D be a new console or just an update for the old PS3?
It's a system update it's already in effect actually though more detailed in depth 3D games could use better tech in the future.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Kris015 said:
The PS3 has 3D enable through firmware updates, so yes it's just an update for the old PS3s.

EDIT: Gah, ninja'd literally at the last second!

OT: Makes sense as ayanematrix said before, VALVe just started making PS3 games now (The Orange Box was ported by EA), so they really shouldn't concentrate on the Move and 3D yet.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
I'm curious if saying "we won't do move or 3D until Portal 3" was supposed to be a sarcastic or fasceitious joke on Valve's part

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Fight the gimmick!

It's like fighting the power but with less Che Guevara Tshirts, patheticly scrabbly beards, and pretentiousness.