Sony: PlayStation Move Better Than Mouse & Keyboard

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony: PlayStation Move Better Than Mouse & Keyboard

Sony's research and development manager thinks that PlayStation Move could be a better way to control RTS games than a mouse and keyboard.

Though real-time strategy games have been ported to consoles in recent years, many would say the best way to play the genre is on a PC with a mouse and keyboard. However, Sony R&D manager Richard Marks believes that the PlayStation Move [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281622492&sr=8-1] system might actually outdo the classic PC control scheme.

Marks told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259194]: "I think that PC RTS games are designed right now for the mouse and keyboard, but I think the Move can work with the more general idea of an RTS really well." He believes that becoming a "general or god-like person that can manipulate huge armies" would be like second nature with Move.

Marks refers to the PlayStation Move as able to reach into the third dimension, which would add a layer of control not seen before. "I think that Move would feel way better than a mouse for that, for example, and doing things that require some 3D information is much better with Move," he said. "The RTS genre has been designed not to require any 3D information, but having that extra dimension and all the angle data that we have too is also very interesting."

I must say, out of the Peter Molyneux [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Sports-Resort-Black-Nintendo/dp/B003EH0BQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281622602&sr=1-1] says about Kinect, I'm not sure it'll be able to give me a superior level of control in the game genres we currently play. Move at least has some potential to do just that, as it seems from demos that it may be able to detect movements more accurately, plus <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101504-Sony-Moves-Buttons-Make-it-More-Hardcore
" target="_blank">it has buttons and support from developers in games like LittleBigPlanet 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Killzone-3-Playstation/dp/B002I0K6DG/ref=sr_1_11?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281621530&sr=1-11] already. Only time will tell.

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259194])

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
No. just no. Sorry Sony but nothing you make is going to be beating a mouse and keyboard. Especially not something that makes you stand up and wave your arms like a spastic.

I think Sony's trolling.

Jul 22, 2009
HA no way.

Your wiimote rip off is never as good as a mouse and keyboard, and definitely not better.

I give Kinect more of a chance to make a good RTS than Move, and even if they do everything right a mouse and keyboard will still be better.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
oh really?
where are the Macros may I ask? or even the short cuts (Ctrl + 1...2..3..ect, you know what I mean)

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Noooooope.

Mouse & Keyboard will always be better at first-person and... Second-person.[footnote]That's what an RTS is, right?[/footnote]

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
How comes that Sony Execs keep on making flamewars statements.

Are they all stupid and can't think at the same time as they speak?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
ultimateownage said:
No. just no. Sorry Sony but nothing you make is going to be beating a mouse and keyboard. Especially not something that makes you stand up and wave your arms like a spastic.
Of course, because motion controls automatically means doing the 'wave' like a crazy person.
They could never, ever make motion controls that don't require an accelerometer to register movement, and so can register slight movement based on actual movement using a camera system, not based on the speed of your movement (Or some finicky IR sensor).

Oh wait, they do! It's called Playstation Move.
Huh.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
And how do I keybind all my buildings or units? Or will I need a mic and will I need to shout at the screen "SCV BUILD BARRACKS"?

Or will I just "click" everything with my hands... in the air.. cause everyone knows RTS is played at its best through clicking..

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Well... at least they've got the support from developers. I'm seeing nothing but shite for Kinect, (kinectimals, [/shudder]). Maybe that's because developers are smart. Kinect will not be the device everyone seems to think it is. Neither is motion control. I say we all ditch motion controlling for a few decades. Coffee?

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Well. If the technology is sufficiently accurate it could well beat the mouse. But all the keyboard hotkeys can't be replaced by that sex toy. No way all those functions can fit on it.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Baby Tea said:
ultimateownage said:
Of course, because motion controls automatically means doing the 'wave' like a crazy person.
They could never, ever make motion controls that don't require an accelerometer to register movement, and so can register slight movement based on actual movement using a camera system, not based on the speed of your movement (Or some finicky IR sensor).

Oh wait, they do! It's called Playstation Move.
Huh.
I'm betting you 90% of the games are cheap party games that make you do a stupid waggle. Even the ones which don't need you to do that are still a pointless gimmick in my eyes. There's nothing which can make this more effective than a keyboard.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I'm glade for your sake sony that you're happy, but you're a little bit too positive when you think anything can outmatch the mouse and keyboard for RTS games.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Do they even realise WHY the mouse and keyboard work best for RTS's?

It's not about who can point at the screen the best, it's about the having macros and hotkeys to get stuff done asap. Not messing about with menu's by flailing your arms at the screen, that's even worse than a mouse.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Oh Sony, what will you do next.

OT:Even if its better i'm sure people will still prefer the Mouse and Keyboard