Sony: PlayStation Move Better Than Mouse & Keyboard

Mr Snuffles

Owner of Mister Toast
Apr 15, 2009
I take it I'm the only person who actually read the article, found it was about RTS gaming, and thought it could work... rather well actually!

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I love how on Amazon the list price of $99.99 is crossed out and replaced with $99.96. WOW 3 CENTS.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
See, I read statements like this one where they talk about how RTS games don't take the 3rd dimension into account, and it saddens me - because once more somebody is overlooking a masterpiece like Shiny's Sacrifice [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_%28video_game%29] as if it had not in fact been released a bloody decade ago. Or for that matter, Battlezone 2 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlezone_2], which is 11 years old now. The 3rd dimension intersecting with RTS gameplay is nothing new, people just think it hasn't happened because those innovative and excellent genre-defying games were commercial flops.

So much for our insistence as gamers that we crave innovation.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
As an avid Sony fanboy, I have to say....

Your wrong Sony. Unless the Move is going to have about 50 buttons on it to replace the keyboard then I can't take this seriously!

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
What I'm hearing is "RTS doesn't ever need a 3rd dimension of control, but wouldn't it be could if it did, and that Move was good for it?"

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Jaranja said:
Noooooope.

Mouse & Keyboard will always be better at first-person and... Second-person.[footnote]That's what an RTS is, right?[/footnote]
No Second person would be controlling your forces while in the viewpoint of the enemy. Essentially first person is the character, second person is the opposite character and third person is a fly on the wall viewing the first person.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
In addition to the "arm waving spastic thing" there is simply the issue of text. It can be argued that headsets allow for person to person communication, albiet with a lot of limitations since only one person can talk at a time, but when it comes to sending mail online, or simply "enter name" for a character in a game or something, the keyboard is more efficient than anything a controller or motion wand are ever going to be able to accomplish.

What's more the person doing this seems not to have played many RTS games, because while I can see the point as far as dragging a box around a bunch of units and moving them somewhere, that's part of RTS games but hasn't been the major focus of the gameplay for like 15 years or so now. Today to play an RTS right you need to be able to set up patrol routs, group differant kinds of units into various groups and be able to move them individually, and similar things.

There just aren't as many buttons on a controller/motion stick set up to do an RTS game right without substantially lowering the options and/or scale. I suppose if someone sized them back to say 1995 level with improved graphics one could argue that the central control system with a motion stick could do most of what you need to do, however the genere has advanced substantially since then.

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
Hotkeys and shortcuts go where on that? You need the number row for your hotkeys, and that's 10 buttons, then all of the shortcuts...how buttons does the controller have?

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
Warforger said:
Jaranja said:
Noooooope.

Mouse & Keyboard will always be better at first-person and... Second-person.[footnote]That's what an RTS is, right?[/footnote]
No Second person would be controlling your forces while in the viewpoint of the enemy. Essentially first person is the character, second person is the opposite character and third person is a fly on the wall viewing the first person.

Someone needs to make a second person mod or something, how crazy would a MP be if you saw it through the eyes of the enemy player.

oops, sorry about double post instead of edit :(

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
ahhhhHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHSHH
HAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAA
HAHHAHAhurk cough cough /choke
-Dies from laughter-

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While it's possible that you could make a really good RTS with motion controls, everything would have to be just right. And the thing is, most people can't hold an object steady enough for RTS gameplay, let alone for dozens of minutes on-end.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
AC10 said:
I think people are misreading the article. This guy thinks he can sort of re-define the RPG to not be limited to a 2D plane in order to use the move with a third dimension.

He believes in doing this it will be better than a mouse.
I believe he's wrong.

However, if they actually have a prototype simplified RTS running which doesn't require key bindings and fast clicking I could at least see it working.

There is no way you're ever going to get something on the competitive level of Starcraft working on the move.
Finally someone actually reads the article. When exactly did he say that Move would work better than the mouse+keyboard setup for traditional RTSs?

He said that Move works well in giving you god-like control (not that the control is god-like, but the type of control is) and he said that RTS could be specifically developed to make use of 3D control which Mouse controls can't give you. That's pretty much it. He didn't say it in a smug or superlative way, calm down everyone. Jesus, stop altering stories with your insipid headlines Escapist.

Anyway I have major doubts about the potential about 3D RTS controls,just like you, but atleast I can see the promise. The short teaser of the tank game in the original Move tech demo kind of worked like that.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
AC10 said:
I think people are misreading the article. This guy thinks he can sort of re-define the RPG to not be limited to a 2D plane in order to use the move with a third dimension.

He believes in doing this it will be better than a mouse.
I believe he's wrong.

However, if they actually have a prototype simplified RTS running which doesn't require key bindings and fast clicking I could at least see it working.

There is no way you're ever going to get something on the competitive level of Starcraft working on the move.
Finally someone actually reads the article. When exactly did he say that Move would work better than the mouse+keyboard setup for traditional RTSs?

He said that Move works well in giving you god-like control (not that the control is god-like, but the type of control is) and he said that RTS could be specifically developed to make use of 3D control which Mouse controls can't give you. That's pretty much it. He didn't say it in a smug or superlative way, calm down everyone. Jesus, stop altering stories with your insipid headlines Escapist.

Anyway I have major doubts about the potential about 3D RTS controls,just like you, but atleast I can see the promise. The short teaser of the tank game in the original Move tech demo kind of worked like that.
And I meant RTS, not RPG.
Damn you, early mornings!

But yeah, I'm interested to see what they come up with. Out of all the motion control things the move interests me the most. However, I'm playing it skeptical and I'm going to wait for them to convince me. No more early adopting for me!

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
LOLWUT

That's insane! using move in an rts would be like using a less precise mouse, how would that be an innovation? I don't really see how making an action require bigger movements would make it like "second-nature". Besides, I doubt that they could assign all the basic game commands (pause, select, all that stuff) and still have a reasonable amount of buttons for hotkeys.