2009 Darwin Awards Announced

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zac_Dai said:
To be honest I've always found it terribly lame that Darwin's name and theories got associated with this crap.

I use to think the site was funny when I was about erm 15.
They're called "The Darwin Awards" because Darwin's theory of Natural Selection which theorized that only those members of a given species with the most desirable traits (not necessarily the fittest) would survive to reproduce. Given that the award "winners" are successfully proving Darwin's theory it's only appropriate that his name be tied to the "award".

Speaking of which, I think the woman with the moped deserved the award more then the bank robbers. I mean it takes a new level of stupid to a) drive past a police barricade during a flood and b) once rescued, jump back in.

smell-of-man

Aug 20, 2009
Yay, finally Belgium gets recognised in the world for something

... yes, I'm Belgian and no, I'm not proud of it :p

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
The DSM said:
Thank you for removing your self from the gene pool.

Theres a cookie waiting for you in Ragnorak.

Yes I do belive in Norse mythology, its as valid as every other religion.
RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK!
OT: I had a book that listed them all. Fucking fantastic.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Note: A common misconception amongst Americans seems to be that everyone who owns a BMW snuggle in their beds at night wrapped in a blanket of $100 bills. Cheaper BMW cars are commonplace in Europe, or at least in Scandinavia.

Also, Darwin Awards! <3

Edit: Ragnarök, noobs.

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
Jamous said:
The DSM said:

RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK! RAGNORAK!
OT: I had a book that listed them all. Fucking fantastic.
Did it list all the end-time myths or simply all the norse ones. If it's the first case please tell me the name of the book so I can try to find myself a copy....On second thought, please tell me anyway, I want to find out about this creation myth with the cow.

OT: I only heard about the Darwin awards yesterday. Is there any physical award, and if so, who receives it if the recipient is dead?

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Chaos-Spider said:
OT: I only heard about the Darwin awards yesterday. Is there any physical award, and if so, who receives it if the recipient is dead?
No physical awards, just the posthumous honor.

pfloriani

Jul 24, 2009
Fluffles said:
I love this :D
I like the one from ages ago where these guys and their dog drive out on the ice to go fishing and they go to blow a hole in the ice (illegal) and throw the dynamite across the ice.
Then the dog runs after it thinking its fetch, comes running back. The guys do the only thing they can, shoot at the dog.
The dog runs for the nearest piece of cover, their 4WD, which gets PWNED and sinks into the ice.

Not an actual Darwin award but it's just one that they put in the book for SnG.
This is actually an urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/critters/cruelty/dynamite.asp

They tested this on Mythbusters, and determined that one stick of dynamite does not make a big enough hole in the ice to sink a SUV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%282008_season%29#Dynamite_Dog

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
I remember laughing when I heard this on the news (Belgian as well).
You can see the damage done here:

http://www.standaard.be/Artikel/Detail.aspx?artikelId=DMF20090926_014

There's a video at the bottom.

lyfeindeyth

Jan 3, 2010
Maybe the two needed gas money. Also, was the woman senile and losing her mind? Or... are people really that dumb to jump into an overflowing creek for a damned moped?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
The DSM said:

Then I believe your cookie is waiting, as well.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Zac_Dai said:
To be honest I've always found it terribly lame that Darwin's name and theories got associated with this crap.

They're called "The Darwin Awards" because Darwin's theory of Natural Selection which theorized that only those members of a given species with the most desirable traits (not necessarily the fittest) would survive to reproduce. Given that the award "winners" are successfully proving Darwin's theory it's only appropriate that his name be tied to the "award".

Speaking of which, I think the woman with the moped deserved the award more then the bank robbers. I mean it takes a new level of stupid to a) drive past a police barricade during a flood and b) once rescued, jump back in.
This has nothing to do with natural selection at all. Killing yourself in a stupid way isn't a genetic trait. Even if it was it still would have no effect whatsoever on human evolution.

Examples of human natural selection would be say the AIDs immune prostitutes of Africa and their offspring.

People dying in stupid ways is just aberrant behaviour resulting from wide social variables such as a poor education. Not because they were born with a gene that says make comedic death for peoples enjoyment on the internet.

You just slap on Darwin's name so it makes you feel more superior about laughing at dead people. Next you'll be saying you believe in Eugenics.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Chaossebba said:
im so proud to live in Belgium.

(btw i think the town name was "Dinant" not Dinat D:)
Well, that makes one of us. I am proud to live in the Flemish region, not to live in Belgium.

I do want to stress that the two unfortunate bank robbers are from Wallonia, the "dumb" southern part of our country. I live more to the north in Flanders, fortunately. Thank the heavens.

Ironic note: they eventually blew themselves up, and a large portion of the building was destroyed but according to rumours, there was barely a scratch on the ATM.

TheLastCylon said:
DestroytheTyrant said:
You guys are sick for finding this stuff funny ...
I kinda agree with this guy. I mean, yeah, they were stupid, but they did die. It's a pretty serious matter.
Yeah, WHILE THEY WERE TRYING TO ROB A BANK. They had it coming, I laugh at their misfortune and I can't wait for the next ignorant fool to blow himself up.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I don't think any of those things are NOT funny. Double negation.

I find each and every one of them funny. Stupid people dying because of their stupidity? That's the best thing in the Universe. Seriously.

King Chronic

Jan 5, 2010
if you arnt an expert with explosives, isnt that reason enuf to NOT use dynamite?

once youve been recused to jump straight back in? im sorry but thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard lmfao

im my opinion uif it didnt happen this way, their stupidity would have skrewed them over in the end.

ps: soz for double post :(

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009

Seriously. How was I NOT ninja'd with this? You people really disgust me sometimes.

Also, is there a way to view past Darwin award winners?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zac_Dai said:
canadamus_prime said:
Zac_Dai said:

This has nothing to do with natural selection at all. Killing yourself in a stupid way isn't a genetic trait. Even if it was it still would have no effect whatsoever on human evolution.

Examples of human natural selection would be say the AIDs immune prostitutes of Africa and their offspring.

People dying in stupid ways is just aberrant behaviour resulting from wide social variables such as a poor education. Not because they were born with a gene that says make comedic death for peoples enjoyment on the internet.

You just slap on Darwin's name so it makes you feel more superior about laughing at dead people. Next you'll be saying you believe in Eugenics.
No it fits Darwin's theory because these people have traits that we DON'T want passed on to the next generation, IE massive stupidity.