2009 Darwin Awards Announced

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I love these awards and that show "1,000 ways to die", so many strange and odd ways to go.

1gremlyn1

Oct 13, 2009
I love the Darwin awards, but i agree that it's not really true Darwinism, as there is not an identified stupidity gene (yet).

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
TheLastCylon said:
DestroytheTyrant said:
You guys are sick for finding this stuff funny ...
I kinda agree with this guy. I mean, yeah, they were stupid, but they did die. It's a pretty serious matter.
I find myself on the side of DestroytheTyrant and TheLastCylon. Human beings are dead. They had families, friends, and lives. Sure they made poor decisions, but are we not all imperfect.

Where is your compassion for the loved ones of the deceased, people?

This threads reported.

DestroytheTyrant

Dec 17, 2008
Amnestic said:
DestroytheTyrant said:
Amnestic said:
Jumplion said:
Amnestic said:
DestroytheTyrant said:
I was just about to agree with him, though that music made me giggle away from that.

Good show, good show.
Thing is it's true. The Darwin awards are just a natural extention of the basic concept of schadenfreude. A little more morbid perhaps, but still very human. Anyone who says they've never laughed at another person's suffering (even minor) isn't British human. Either that or they're a liar.
You know what , I absolutely agree, but laughing at someones death is alot different than laughing at someones "minor" sufferings. I just think that laughing at someones own death ( even if it was brought on to themselves) is taking it way too far. Maybe if you got some common sense you would realize this , but for now, you are worth no more to me than the two dudes that blew themselves up.
Actually I'm worth quite a bit more. Legally, financially, emotionally, intellectually - I'm worth more. Primarily because they're dead and I am not.

And perhaps you're right, it may be different. However notably if they're dead they probably care very little that we are laughing what with them being dead and all.
Yes the dead do not care that we are lauging at them , but I'm sure their families would. Can't you just leave a tiny bit of courtesy?

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Chaos-Spider said:
Did it list all the end-time myths or simply all the norse ones. If it's the first case please tell me the name of the book so I can try to find myself a copy....On second thought, please tell me anyway, I want to find out about this creation myth with the cow.
Here's a large collection of end of the world stories/myths/theories. [http://exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm] I don't think there's a larger list available anywhere since people can submit new stories, but the website hasn't been updated in a very long time(well, from what I've seen).

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Of special note is the North Carolina woman chosen as one of the runner-ups.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't a woman of that age have already undergone menopause? I'm pretty sure she's already out of the gene pool, so I don't think she's eligible to win a Darwin award.
samaritan.squirrel said:
Hurray for Social Darwinism, the ideology of arseholes..
Social Darwinism ≠ stupid people dying in stupid ways. Social Darwinism is the idea that weaker/poorer societies/people are not worth helping because their dying off strengthens the human race as a whole. But yes, it is a philosophy embraced by assholes.
Zac_Dai said:
People dying in stupid ways is just aberrant behaviour resulting from wide social variables such as a poor education. Not because they were born with a gene that says make comedic death for peoples enjoyment on the internet.
Nnnnnooo, not really. See, these are funny because these people are doing something they KNOW is stupidly dangerous, yet they do them anyway. Call it rather a gene for recklessness, which manifests itself as dying in a really stupid way because you refuse to accept the danger inherent in whatever you're about to do.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
No it fits Darwin's theory because these people have traits that we DON'T want passed on to the next generation, IE massive stupidity.
If your arguing from the point of non-genetic behavioural traits, then sure you don't want that taught to the next generation. But its not genetic based and its beyond the scope of Darwin's work, since you're moving onto Meme theory. Not to mention that someone as respected as Darwin doesn't deserve his name being used for such cheap laughs, especially when its more fitting to call it the Dawkin's award.

GRoXERs said:
Nnnnnooo, not really. See, these are funny because these people are doing something they KNOW is stupidly dangerous, yet they do them anyway. Call it rather a gene for recklessness, which manifests itself as dying in a really stupid way because you refuse to accept the danger inherent in whatever you're about to do.
So we should hand out Darwin Awards for Soldiers, Fire-fighters and everyone else who knowingly put themselves in danger? I mean who the hell would ever be a solider right? Only the genetically inferior I guess. Which doesn't make sense since we often hand out medals to those who willing gave their lives during service.

Genes don't command you to do things, they just give a propensity for a certain behaviour. For instance you can have a gene that gives you an inclination to addictive behaviour. But it doesn't mean you will automatically become say a gambling addict and even if you do in no way does it suggest all gambling addicts have an addict gene.

People are largely the sum of their life experiences and their local culture more than their genetic propensities. You aren't born with a gene for the English language or having the cultural attitudes of an American. Yet you still somehow speak English and have a staunch belief in Democracy. Its all thanks to the environment you were brought up in.

In the same way someone who does something stupid enough to get themselves killed was brought to that point by thousands upon thousands of environmental, social and psychological variables. To actually find out why it happened you would have to have in-depth knowledge of that persons life and the circumstances of their death, which you don't get from the stories on that site.

To just say "lol must be stupid gene!!" is just bad science.

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
Flour said:
Chaos-Spider said:
Did it list all the end-time myths or simply all the norse ones. If it's the first case please tell me the name of the book so I can try to find myself a copy....On second thought, please tell me anyway, I want to find out about this creation myth with the cow.
Here's a large collection of end of the world stories/myths/theories. [http://exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm] I don't think there's a larger list available anywhere since people can submit new stories, but the website hasn't been updated in a very long time(well, from what I've seen).
Thanks. I'll have to check out this site sometime.

what's the meme theory?

But I do see your point that the Darwin awards are more influenced by the social environment than genetics, making it an example for the nature vs. nurture debate. Also any genes that were eliminated by the deaths of these people would not have been present in significant numbers in the population anyway.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
DestroytheTyrant said:
Yes the dead do not care that we are lauging at them , but I'm sure their families would. Can't you just leave a tiny bit of courtesy?
My tiny bit of courtesy is not laughing around them. Luckily I haven't met any of them, so I can keep on chortling.

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
stinkychops said:
Aedwynn said:
AfterAscon said:
I've always been curious if the deceased have already passed on their genes, do people go around and elimante the kids to ensure it never happens again...
No, we all just hope that the kid didn't inherit the "stupid" genes from the Darwin-worthy parent. Any future offspring would still have a chance to inherit the "stupid" gene, though - so a Darwin award is still valid if the Darwin recipient has already had children.
Is it proven idiots breed idiots? I don't think it is.

Making this entire 'Darwin' part a fallacy to mask our horrible insensitivity.
The whole 'Idiots breeding Idiots' not being proven is why people who've already had children can still be awarded a 'Darwin'.

I see it more as gallows humour, but most fans of the Darwin Awards agree that your mileage may vary.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
*thinks*

Shouldn't there be an age limit/child restriction for Darwin Awards?

The "runner-up" had a daughter who spoke to police. If she procreated and raised a child, then natural selection failed to prevent her from doing so.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
When you're feeling down and lonely. Remember, you're at least smarter than SOMEONE. But yes, we shouldn't be finding these riotously funny.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
I didn't think this was the kind of article The Escapist News Room would come up with. It's kind of sick, especially to really think someone dying is a good thing because their children may be stupid, if they had any, or that their one act (usually just an accident... which we all have) before their death would somehow bring down the "gene pool". To me, the majority of adults would look at an article like this and not really like it, while the main demographic of the site, the younger audience, will have no qualms having a laugh over a persons death. I like getting my news here and everything, but who is this catering to, and what does it have to do with gaming?

What about the families of these people? Why would any respectful individual want to point and laugh at the deceased? It's like people forget that it was a person with hopes, dreams, and a future like the rest of us. Even if I did something stupid and croaked, if my family ever found out there was some website making light of it I'm sure they wouldn't be happy, or what if my children found it, or their friends?

I really like the News Room, but this left a sour taste in my mouth.

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
Schadenfreude aside, I stopped finding these things funny shortly after discovering them.

It seems most of the internet has developed a rather morbid sense of humour, at least regarding human beings.

Booze Zombie said:
DestroytheTyrant said:
If you can't laugh at death, how can you laugh at life?
Because people can be alive and do funny, and/or stupid shit. Dead people just kinda lay there...

Unless you know Zsasz.