2012, Mayan end date.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
0110100110 said:
Hi I am an avatar theif
You bastard! You stole my avatar:(
Anyway that aside I don't think 2012 will be of any major importance. Regardless of what a book or calendar says, I do find the astrological side of things interesting. But neither disturbing or joyful.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Nostradamus was believed, were all his prophecies true?
Gypsies (with selfproclaimed magical powers) were believed, did all their prophecies come true?
Mayans are now believed, will all their prophecies come true?

Besides nobody even knows what the end date means anyway.
And lastly, when mayans were being plagued by the plague, hundreds fell each day. Do you really think they'd put a stupid calender before surviving at all?

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Of course the end of the world is a load of shit, but of course we'll get a bunch of hippie fuckwits ranting about the end of the world, look you were wrong about the Y2K, you were wrong about the Large Hadron Collider, and you will be wrong about 2012.

I don't know why this has even been mentioned, every intelligent person knows that astrology is a load of shit, it never has and never can predict anything.

Apr 14, 2009
bodyklok said:
0110100110 said:
Hi I am an avatar theif
Anyway that aside I don't think 2012 will be of any major importance. Regardless of what a book or calendar says, I do find the astrological side of things interesting. But neither disturbing or joyful.
:eek: How dare you make such powerful accusations.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
thedelightfulme said:
cathou said:
Come on, every know it the reawakening of the magic. there suppose a computer virus soon too that will crash the internet...
You CAN'T crash the internet. The internet is not ONE server. Its a network of BILLIONS of servers. So if you'd have to make ONE HELL of a virus for that.

Bugger all is going to happen. maybe AI but i doubt it.
You need to learn some more of the internet before you say that. If I hit the IP's of all the major root DNS servers with a hither-to unknown attack causing a denial of service - something big enough to flood bandwidth and hold restoration by backups off for roughly 24 hours - the internet will crash, and hard.

26 "servers", roughly 4 redundant machines per alphabet letter (actually there is only 13 (Edit: Or 16, I forget) but let's deal with nice numbers): 104 machines to attack and take down. A basic botnet could do that, a customised unknown exploit..... use your imagination.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
0110100110 said:
bodyklok said:
0110100110 said:
Hi I am an avatar theif
:eek: How dare you make such powerful accusations.
Sir, it is well within my right! Now I respectfully request that you change your avatar.

thedelightfulme

Apr 16, 2009
Gitsnik said:
thedelightfulme said:
cathou said:
Come on, every know it the reawakening of the magic. there suppose a computer virus soon too that will crash the internet...
You CAN'T crash the internet. The internet is not ONE server. Its a network of BILLIONS of servers. So if you'd have to make ONE HELL of a virus for that.

You need to learn some more of the internet before you say that. If I hit the IP's of all the major root DNS servers with a hither-to unknown attack causing a denial of service - something big enough to flood bandwidth and hold restoration by backups off for roughly 24 hours - the internet will crash, and hard.

26 "servers", roughly 4 redundant machines per alphabet letter (actually there is only 13 but let's deal with nice numbers): 104 machines to attack and take down. A basic botnet could do that, a customised unknown exploit..... use your imagination.

All i can say to that is...O_O. You crash my internet...im coming for you.

TopHatTim

Nov 8, 2008
f that noise.
if like some shit really goes down its my luck to go on a spree of looting and blowing shit up...
then find out it not gunna happen.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
thedelightfulme said:
cathou said:

and play Shadowrun more often , then you will understand the reference...

i know you cant crash the internet...

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Oh great, just when i finally turn 18. I have little time to watch "The Leon" and "Watchmen" legally. Great just great.

By the way, this has been done more times than any other thread. Well, except maybe the Religion ones, and why Halo is Popular.

Darth Brownie

Jun 10, 2008
0110100110 said:
for some reason the Mayan calendar came to an abrupt end on December 21 2012. What did this mean?
Simple: they were just too lazy to go further on their calendar, a couple hundred years ahead is way enough.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
thedelightfulme said:

Try typing Google into Google.

No wait do-!

*An error has occurred, please close the web browser.*

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Duke nukem forever will come out, and world peace will be declared throughout the land!

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
The Mayan's ahd to end their calender somewhere, maybe they predicted that they would not be around for that ong and just ended their calender.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Some scholars have said that 12/21/12 will be the day when the Noosphere, a plane of existence that encompasses the collective cognition and complexity of the social order of man, will hit what is known as the Omega Point and become "aware"- giving human beings the ability to communicate with each other through their thoughts.

That's right, people. If these guys are correct, we're going to become a telepathic race.

[/facepalm]

ify_

Mar 19, 2009
First of all, nice piece on the Mayan calendar and the I Ching. Very informative, gave both sides of the argument...well done.

I haven't reviewed Mr. McKenna's work personally but I don't put much stock in his "interpretation" of the I Ching and events described therein. I believe he wanted to support his theory and made the facts fit the supposition, and not the other way around. Like I said, just a gut instinct there...I have nothing to base that on.

This sort of thing crops up almost every year and the earth just keeps on turning. And though the end of the Mayan calendar has been an issue for a long time I also think it represents an arbitrary end...they had to stop somewhere.

Personally I don't think Dec. 21 2012 will be anything special at all...just another day. Neither enlightenment nor destruction will rain down upon us. I may take that day off (It'll be a Friday) and stay home and listen to Rush all day...2112 of course.